Friday, June 5, 2009

Memories for a Mommy

It's no secret that I am excited about the grandbaby that will join our family in six short months. When I think about it, I am filled with curiosity, joy and plans. I wonder how my mom sustained that same excitement through 24 grandchildren?!? As much as I love my kids, I think I'm just a bit more excited for THIS baby.



Lauren, 7, very focused on creating something wonderful

One of the things that I am excited about is that my little girl gets to know the simple joys of motherhood. Along with the trials and pains that children bring, there are those sweet moments that you tuck away and hold close so no one can take them from you. I have some memories tucked away; some in my heart, some tucked in my drawer. Memories of little things like sitting Lauren on the counter everyday to curl her hair. Memories of her one and only dance recital. Winning her first ribbon in swimming. Memories of her sitting and reading to her "babies", watching her be silly at camp, going on dates, leaving her behind at college, watching her kneel across an altar in the temple. And now, she will get memories of her own of her little one.
She will get to snuggle, get wet little kisses, soothe owies, cheer at games, dry tears,
get sweet little unexpected notes.

She's going to love being a mommy, it's all she's ever wanted.



I love you too Shorty.

16 comments:

Tristan said...

You seem to be making me cry a lot lately! ;)

Jenni this was so beautiful! I'm so happy for you and for Lauren. Being a Mom is the best thing in the whole world. And my life is better and complete because I am a Mom.

The picture of Lauren is so adorable and I couldn't help but notice how gorgeous a color of blonde her hair is in that pic!

diane said...

I can't imagine what it will be like to watch your baby become a mom. So cool.

I once had a little blonde girl of my own. She is growing up too quickly.

Annemarie said...

So sweet. She is approaching some of the best moments of her life.
So are you!!

Jen said...

(weeping tears of joy! sniff, sniff)

I remember the moment I had my first baby and thinking, "so this is the joy my mom was talking about".

Lauren is going to be a wonderful mommy because she's had an outstanding example to learn from...her own mommy.

Anonymous said...

very touching post! :)

Christie said...

Oh. my. goodness. Way to get me all teary eyed first thing in the morning. Beautiful words, my friend.

Hollyween said...

Ah, so sweet!! You're going to be a fabulous Grandma! I have a feeling you're going to spoil that baby rotten! Six more months seems like forever! I can't wait!

Lauren said...

it almost looks like i signed that as laura, i'm glad that my handwriting has improved since then! That is funny that you still have that little note, i remember sneaking into your dresser years ago and finding my teeth!! i am sure i will hang onto every little thing and memories my kids make for me too. i already feel sentimental about pregnancy, i want to remember everything i have felt!!

i remember being such a happy little girl and wanting to sing and dance for anyone [including my 15 dolls i would line up to watch] i cant wait to see my little one develop a cute little personality!!

queenieweenie said...

aaaahhhhhh.

Lisa-Marie said...

My mom says that being a mom is the best thing she ever did. UNTIL being a grandma!!!!

Hazen5 said...

Ohhh, I still can't believe you are going to be an actual Grandma! I still remember the first day Lauren baby sat for us when she was just 11 yrs. old! I knew from that day on, she was going to make such a good mommy! She's had great training.

Anonymous said...

How precious! What a lovely expressed gift for your daughter, Mother-to-be!

Rochelleht said...

WOW! You make it sound like it all goes so quickly. Kinda freakin' me out, but I know it's true. But, it also sounds like the next phases are as good as this one.

Lauren in GA said...

I am crying all over the place, right now.

This was so beautiuful. I also loved Lauren's comment back to you.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all that you have done for me. I truly can't thank you enough. You are an amazing person, Jeni.

It was great to catch up on your posts.

Will you look at Lauren's gorgeous hair. Beautiful!

gab said...

Oh, Jeni! So sweet. Makes me appreciate my little blondie with her scratchy penmanship. Hope she'll want to grow up and be a mommy someday in spite of me!

Ilene said...

I remember becoming a mom, cuddling with my little baby and realizing that my mom did the same thing with me.

It totally opened my eyes and appreciation for my own mother.

Being a mom is the best. But I hear being a grandma is even better than the best.

Congrats to the both of you!