Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Guess who's coming to dinner?

A warning: I wrote this and just put my feelings out there. A real posterity post.


You know how the Chinese have Year of the Dog or Year of the Boar? Well, this is my Year of the Family. I have long lost relatives that I had pretty much written off coming out of the woodwork. I reconnected with my much younger sister Amy, my charming brother Tom and my totally wacked cousin Todd.
(Who I hope never reads my blog, but with my luck....)


So Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?


My Father.


The only baby picture of me in existence. My father has the short sleeved shirt on. My mother is taking the picture.

After 19 years of no contact, zero, zip, nada....I got an email saying he was hitching up his RV to his truck and coming to visit his kids in the lower 48. I don't know what to think! He is 72, is this his farewell tour? What possessed him? Why now after all these years? AND he sounds excited to see us!!!

I was thinking of doing the ABC's of my emotions over this:
A--Apprehensive,
B--Boggled,
C--Conflicted,
D--Dumbfounded,
E--Excited?
F--Flumoxed...

You get the idea.

I remember as a little girl absolutely adoring and idolizing him. He has a quick laugh and a warm smile and he could sing, oh my can he sing! I remember that I loved being hugged by him and having him scratch my face with his whiskers. He was so handsome... And then he was gone.

I lived with him for a summer when I turned 9, and then I was sent to Alaska to live with other relatives and I was too young to be told why and probably wouldn't have understood anyway.

Then, when I graduated from high school my foster parents sent me on a summer trip up to Alaska to see him. I was again infatuated with my Dad. But he somehow wasn't fascinated with me. At that time I was old enough to wonder why he didn't want me...why didn't he love me?

The morning of my wedding in the Oakland Temple he showed up! Absolutely unannounced. Invited yes, but with no dreams or thoughts of him showing up...but he did! That was a day of conflicting emotions also.



Then nothing until one summer when Lauren was turning two and he flew his plane down to see us. Later that fall we went to Seattle and met him there and spent time with my Grandfather and my father. Two times in a year! And then, nothing.




For 19 years I have sent Christmas cards, announcements, pictures etc...so has my brother and sister in law, and nothing. My brother called him before he went to Iraq thinking this would be a turning point. Nope.

I don't want to paint a picture of him being a bad person, he's not. At least I don't think he is, he just doesn't know how to be emotionally involved. His mother died when he was six and he was raised by a rather cold and stiff step-mother. I don't think nurturing is in his emotional make-up.
(unlike me who has nuturing instincts on overdrive...) Maybe age has mellowed him?

All these thoughts are jumbled up in my mind and my heart, (which I am wrapping up tightly so it won't break again) . Funny thing is that again I find myself wishing I was thinner, more beautiful, more talented, more everything. Why is that?

One thing about me is that I am who I am. I am no different on this blog than I am in real life. I have bad luck, I laugh and blog about it. My kids do cute things, funny things, things that make me proud, I blog about it. I make goals, I break goals, I blog about it. And I feel pretty okay with myself, I like me. (I'd like me more if I were smaller...but I am okay with Jeni) But all of a sudden, today, I wish I were more wonderful. Today I wish I was a person that my parents could love, both of them who are living. Today I am thankful for my foster parents (who have both passed on ) who taught me to love, to forgive and to find the good in everyone.

My father is coming to visit. Today I am a wreck. But I think I'll loosen the bindings on my hearts' protection. Seriously, I can't wait to hear him laugh and to meet my boys and see that despite everything, I'm okay.

24 comments:

Hazen5 said...

I can't wait to hear all about it! Call me asap. I hope your day goes well! I will be thinking of you.

Tristan said...

I can't wait to hear all about it either! I'm sure everything will go great! You are amazing and I'm sure he knows that.

Jen said...

Whoa! That is "BIG" news! I'm sure the time that you spend with your father will be full of amazing memories. You are such an amazing person (and I haven't even met you in person!) and your father knows that.

And by the way, your Gunne Sax wedding frock is to die for!

diane said...

I love your honesty and sensitivity. What is it about parents that have the ability to make us as grown adults feel like we are 10 all over again?

I hope it is a good experience. You are a good daughter and an amazing woman.

Kim Walus said...

Just remember to breathe, that will help keep you calm. I'm excited and full of anticipation for your dinner. Don't worry about being anything but yourself. I love you and he should too! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Remember to take pictures! It's great that you have the pictures you have. Lova ya Jeni!

Erin said...

Oh, Jeni-- I love you just the way you are. And anyone with half a brain will feel the same way. You're wonderful. Good luck today!

Jenibelle said...

Just to clarify...he's coming to dinner and staying for five days to visit with my brother and I and our families.

Nancy said...

Jeni, Good Luck! You ARE amazing, just how you are! Remember that Heavenly Father made you the way you are because he loves you, and he knows that you are wonderful, just as you are right now.

Lauren in GA said...

Jeni, this made me cry. You blogged about it so perfectly. The post captures all of the emotions so well. I think I would feel the same way if I were in your position. (Only, I would't have been as clever ☺...I like your ABC's...they sum it up nicely...we do, indeed get the idea.)

I started to get teary when I read, "then he was gone." That is a lot for a child to handle.

the wrath of khandrea said...

i actually feel the ache both for you and for him.

if i thought it would help, i would come over and strangle some sense into you until you realized how amazing you really are.

that's the kinda friend i am.

Ilene said...

Your YOU, not to mention his daughter. How could he not be impressed by you?

Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Wishing you the best!

Christie said...

Dang. I wish some people in my family would only pop in once a decade or so. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Paige said...

jeni, I seriously love all the old pictures. Love them so much and I'm sure it was a pain to scan them. I don't expect will be any different to you than he has been the last 72 years since emotional connection is not big for him, but I think it's great you are getting (and taking with open eyes and arms) the opportunity. Wishing you tons of luck.

Lauren in GA said...

I agree with you, Andrea...strangle some sense into Jeni so she will realize how wonderful she is.

Oh...uh...you weren't supposed to read that, Jeni...just go back to whatever you were doing, my sweet. I love you!

Tiffiny said...

WOW... I loved this post. It was so honest. And I can TOTALLY relate!

Good luck with the visit!

Jessica said...

So loved the backstory. And think you are a pretty amazing survivor/thriver. I'm blessed to know you!

life in red shoes said...

I never did loosen the bindings on my heart where my father was concerned, and I have no regrets.
Thinking of you, Red Shoes

Lauren said...

this is SO WEIRD!! i have NO memories of him ever, EVER! i'm almost glad in a way to miss out on this...i love the 2 grandpa's i already have!!

Rochelleht said...

Wow! I am hoping it all went well for you, you sweet thing. I am sure you are every bit as wonderful as I think you are. ;-) And that's enough. tee hee!

Margaret said...

I am shuddering for you. bleck.

so sorry.

some people just don't have it together. it's just sad when it's your dad.

you are awesome! good luck.

Lauren said...

momma, my counter thing is on the bottom of my blog, it didn't look cute with my new background, haha!

we ordered amy a cake and it will be ready tomorrow, then i will reveal what it is to the blog world.

Anonymous said...

how did it go?

life in red shoes said...

Enough already! The suspense is killing me.