Monday, December 8, 2008

The child of my old age...

Scotty Boy is 12!!!!

The moment I saw you I loved you.


My favorite all time picture of Scotty, he was 10 months old, clapping about bubbles.

Today is Scotty's 12th birthday and I sure felt like I was OLD when I had him. Now, 12 years later, I wonder where the time has gone. I miss my baby.

Scotty was everyone's baby; among my group of friends I was the only one with a baby (until Celia went and had Claire and totally stole my baby's attention, not that I'm bitter.....). He was so looked forward to by all of us. I had asked two of my oldest and bestest friends, Margo and Pam, to come with me when he was born. We were so excited,I had 4 kids without even a stinkin' Tylenol and this time, I was going to GET DRUGS!

There is something interesting about my body, I don't make Oxytocin, the chemical that starts labor. I have never had a labor pain on my own. One time my water broke, but no labor. They had told us to call early in the morning to see if they had room for us that day. They did and off we went. Byron and I were there for a couple of hours and then Pam, Margo and another friend, Tylyn came. Now we could get the party started. The nurses loved having my fun friends with me, so did I! They hooked me up to the Pit drip and I was waiting to get far enough to get my epidural. Finally the time came!! Woot-woot. Got the epi, things were going great, Byron and Pam went to get something to eat and then BAM! Down went my blood pressure. I remember being able to hear, but I couldn't speak, raise my arm, open my eyes...
turns out my blood pressure was 50/30. I don't think that's too good. My friend Margo was with me and I remember her whispering to me calmly..."you hang on friend, you're going to have this baby and he's going to be so cute and we can't wait to meet him"...etc....


This is the "Jeni don't you die" picture...we think it is hysterical and after 12 years still makes us laugh til we cry. I love Margo!

Later she told me that what she was really thinking was...."don't you die on me!! Don't you die on my watch!" Hysteria inside, calm and cool on the outside. The Dr. whipped that epidural out of me so fast and I remember being hysterical, I wanted drugs!!!

But then came Scotty...the glue that holds us together. He is the love of our family's lives. There is so much I could say about this boy, he is really special.
Scrapbooking was new, a friend made this for me.
(Hey Ellie, Jessica and Ilene....this is what a mom who doesn't get drugs looks like. Not pretty )

When he was born his three "fairy godmothers" each gave him a little blessing. Tylyn blessed him with patience and tolerance. Pam blessed him that he would live for the moment, have much happiness and enjoy the little things in life. Margo blessed him that he would love beautiful things, art, music, nature and people with beautiful spirits. He has been blessed to have so many wonderful, wonderful people in his life.

Scotty is kind.
Scotty is smart.
Scotty is a good athlete.
Scotty is joyful.



Scotty can't wait to be a Deacon.
Scotty loves his family.


Scotty loves animals.
Scotty loves the outdoors.



Scotty's real name is Byron Scott.
Scotty loves triple/triples at In-n-Out.
Scotty is a loyal friend.
Scotty is the last of the both families grandchildren.


Grandma Rydalch gave him his first bath, I love this picture, look at my mom's 74 year old hands lovingly bathing him. I miss her.

Scotty loves the Beatles but has assured his mom he will not be a drugged out hari krishna loving hippie freak.
Scotty is "allergic to clothes", his favorite "outfit" is his underwear, which is what he is wearing if he isn't in public.


A little stinker for Halloween

Scotty and Jeffrey have been best friends since the minute he was born. (It's kind of love/hate right now though!! You understand.)



Scotty loves Soccer. (but you already know that!!)
Scotty LOVES hippos. He wanted one for Christmas one year. He got a stuffed one. He now has about 30 hippos.
Scotty loves Guitar Hero.


I make snowmen cupcakes every year for his school class. (They look a little pathetic here, but he loves them!)

Scotty has nodules on his vocal chords that give him a funky little voice.
Scotty had a liver tumor once, he received numerous blessings. It disappeared.

Nothing ever prepared me for the love I would feel for this boy. I was as astonished to be expecting as Sarah in the Old Testament, but I love this child of "my old age", he has given me and our entire family so much joy. We are so thankful for him.

Happy Birthday Scotty!

18 comments:

diane said...

The offer still stands. He could come this summer and we will work him and he can swim at the pool. There we could keep him busy.

Linsey said...

Sounds like everyone needs a Scotty, but I'm especially glad you've got one/him. Happy Birthday!

calibosmom said...

Well now I'm crying! Scotty sounds awesome! Happy Birthday to a great Deacon!

Kim Walus said...

No, I get to have Scotty, I always wanted another boy. He was so fun to spend time with when I came to Lauren's wedding. I could have taken him home with me!!!

Have a wonderful birthday today, Sotty! We love you!!

Your other mother, Kim

Rochelleht said...

LOVING those cupcakes!! That is adorable. Love the story of him having a tumor and the blessings. Again, were we separated at birth? So many commonalities. You have such an interesting life, girl and you live it with flair!

Erin said...

Happy Birthday Scotty! I love you. I loved all the pictures, too. Hope you have a great day!

P.S. I'm glad you didn't die. :)

Lisa-Marie said...

Happy Birthday Scotty! You are such a good kid! And darling too. (What I mean by that is, very handsome!) Way to go on all your recent soccer accomplishments. Congratulations on becoming a deacon. What a special time! Keep helping your mamma smile. She is pretty special too.

Lauralee said...

love that your friends were there for his birth.. how scary to have your blood pressure drop like that!

he sounds like such a sweet boy! happy birthday scotty!

Annemarie said...

Cute, cute boy!

You've done good!

Anonymous said...

That is so beautiful! Happy Birthday to Scotty! I think all my friends have had that one more child in their "old age"! I was pretty envious! Congratulations on your wonderful family!

Lauren in GA said...

What a great tribute post to your wonderful boy!

I think it is so great that your friends came to share in the labor and delivery...I would have been thinking that, too..."don't you die on me, not on my watch!!" Margo handled the stress beautifully!

Lindsey said...

Glad you made it through that delivery! :)

the wrath of khandrea said...

you know, i like this kid.

Lauren said...

here's to the favorite child!!!

just kidding..kinda, but we all love scotty. He is the baby of the family and life wouldn't be the same without little pootermens!!

Ilene said...

I think you look lovely after giving birth; especially considering you were basically comatose (sp?) AND without a epidural. You are a true woman.

By the way, I hope you will hang that non-epidural thing over Scotty's head should your baby ever misbehave. Not that he ever would, right?

The BEST thing I have discovered about having more than one child is discovering how fiercely you can love each one without taking any love away from the others. They are each so stinkin' special. Sometimes more stinky than special, though.

queenieweenie said...

happy birthday Scotty! what a cute boy.

thanks for taking us all on a trip down memory lane-I love birth stories!

Jake said...

He was worth waiting for!

Hazen5 said...

How ever did I miss this post?! Happy Birthday Scotty boy, You are the sweetest boy ever. I can't wait for you and R.J. to go off to BYU for your first year of school together. Love you Scotty