Thursday, April 2, 2009

A family reunion

I think my parents divorced when I was three. I have no memories at all of them ever together. I do have some faint memories of my Father, him in his Air Force uniform, he sitting at the piano and singing, his train set in the attic of our home, him putting together a banana seat sting ray bike for me when I was eight and had gone to visit him. But together, the two of them, nothing.

After they divorced my mother remarried fairly quickly and we moved to California. My father remarried also and eventually moved with his four new children to Alaska. I went to visit him once for a few months when I was almost nine, at that time he had two little boys, Mike and Tom who were two and one years old. I remember loving my Dad and thinking he was so handsome and my goodness, could he sing!

Life happened and I lived all over with different relatives, in different foster homes etc… and I had no contact at all with him. I don’t really know why, but my older brother Mark and I didn’t see him. But through out all the moves and changes in my life, I kept his last name and for some strange reason always felt connected to my father’s side of the family.

When I was 18 and had just graduated from high school my ‘new’ parents gave me a trip to Alaska and I went for six weeks. At that time my siblings were 12, 11, 8 and my little sister was 3 and adorable! It was fun and I had high hopes of being part of ‘their’ family. Didn’t quite work out as my Dad and his wife separated and I never saw my siblings again as they lived with their mother. My Dad doesn't seem very emotionally attached to his kids to say the least and I wasn't quite sure what to do.



At my wedding reception, I think this is cute, he gave us $$$ for our Honeymoon.


Since I was 18 I have seen him four times, one being my wedding day when he surprised me and flew down and showed up at the temple! I was thrilled and horrified at the same time!! My mother was there, my wonderful foster parents who paid for the whole thing were there and now here was my father. It was bizarre and wonderful at the same time.



Grandpa came to visit once, Kayla, Lauren, Abbie, Mitch and Rachel. He looks happy!



My little sister Amy, who was 15 at the time.

Fast forward……..during Christmas break this year Lauren made a Facebook for me. One of the first things I did was put in my long lost siblings’ names, up popped two of my brothers and my sister. I ‘friend requested’ them and within hours we were “friends”. My sister and I have talked and sort of reconnected. She’s 15 years younger and lives in Minnesota with her husband and three kids. I hope to visit her sometime. My brother Mike lives in Portland and we hope to visit him this summer. Tom, my other brother lives in Seattle. We have messaged each other and yesterday he had business in the Bay Area and I invited him to dinner and HE CAME!! 32 years since we last saw each other!

I was a little nervous wreck for 24 hours. I wished I was thinner, more beautiful, more talented. I wish I had cleaned my carpets, painted my living room, had new cabinets and counters. I prayed that my boys would be good and that I wouldn’t embarrass myself with my lack of an edit button. (which I am sure I did) I hoped that he wouldn’t be allergic to my cat, that dinner would be awesome and that he would like me.

It was absolutely one of the coolest, most wonderful experiences of my life.



My brother Tom (who thought I was 46, bless him...)


We are alike in many ways, not looks, but likes, interests, views etc…there really is something to genetics! We reminisced and shared memories, we discussed our dysfunctional father, asked questions about each other, we laughed, we teased, my kids LOVED him and it was so natural.


My heart is so full of joy because of the experience. I feel like I am floating. As wonderful as my other siblings are and I do love them, I have always, always missed these four kids. I have wondered about them, prayed for them, wished that I knew them, and now, I got to ‘meet’ one of them, and it was spectacular. I hope he becomes a regular visitor as he travels a lot with his profession and is in the Bay Area a few times a year.


I feel like a princess and I had a dream come true.

24 comments:

Rochelleht said...

Oh my gosh, that is so awesome!! You really totally do look like siblings, btw. Really. I'm so glad that was such a good experience for you. How wonderful. It just shows that all those little things you were worried about are the things that don't matter, anyway. You are a fun, great person and I'm sure it was easy to make a connection with you.

Nancy said...

That is so great! I'm so happy you have had the chance to reconnect with family. What a great opportunity.

terahreu said...

Wow, that is such a neat story. I am always amazed at how Facebook has played a big role in reuniting people. Congrats to you. I hope this isn't your last reunion! Seems like there are more significant people out there that you should see again. Hopefully FB will continue to works its magic!

Annemarie said...

I'm so happy for you that it turned out so perfectly! You deserve every bit of the happiness you are feeling. That pic is great & I think you do look a little alike.

What was for dessert??

Celia Fae said...

You look skinny.

That is a great story and it warms the cockles of my Facebooking heart. I'm sure Mike had a great time and you fed him well.

Lisa-Marie said...

Jeni, I can see the twinkle in BOTH your eyes. It is apparent that this reunion meant just as much to him.

I'm am so happy for you that it went so well. I've been thinking about you all day hoping for an update and thinking of all kinds of dessert ideas I could have given you. (A day late and a dollar short, as usual.) I am sure that you fixed something wonderful. But really, you could have fed him bologna sandwiches and he would still have been thrilled to meet you. You're just so darn lovable!

the wrath of khandrea said...

this is a wonderful story. i was also wondering how it went, and am so happy to hear it was everything you'd hoped it would be.

in spite of the fact that it all came from facebook...

Hazen5 said...

Oh Jeni, I am so happy for you! I know how important family is to you. He sounds like a great brother, I hope I get to meet him one day.

Give Lo a big squeeze for me!

diane said...

This should be a movie on the Hallmark channel.

He is lucky to have you.

You totally look 46. That alone should make him your favorite brother.

Lauren in GA said...

I am not lying...I am totally crying right now. Oh Jeni, that is so wonderful that he was able to be right there in your home and meet your wonderful family.

I worry about many of the same things you did as you were preparing him for him to come. I know he LOVED you.

And you look completely and totally AWESOME in that picture with him.

I also laughed at the adorable wedding picture with him pulling out his empty pocket. I like his humor.

Jake said...

This whole story is amazing. You DO share the same smile. And I love that your princess fantasy is all about family. And not diamonds.

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful reunion.

Erin said...

What a wonderful experience!

Cassandra said...

What a beautiful story.. thank you for sharing. You were so brave to meet him again! I'm glad it turned out so great!

p.s. I can't wait to see your next post *wink wink*

Christie said...

That is so good. OF COURSE he would like you. What's not to love? Glad it went so well.

Tristan said...

So cool! I'm glad you had such a great time with him! But who wouldn't love you?!?

What did you end up making for dessert?

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful outcome for that part of our life!

Paige said...

See. all that worrying totally paid off! I'm happy your visit was fantastic. After your life experiences you deserve to have some good come from your childhood. What did you make?

Ilene said...

You guys have the same smile.

Did someone already say that?

Anyway, I am happy for you and your brother! Family is everything, I can't imagine not having a relationship with my siblings and I'm so glad that you are getting to develop one now with yours!

Robin said...

Not a day over 43. I can see a family resemblance, but you are way cuter than him. I am so glad it turned out the way you hoped.

Yay for happy endings.

♥Shally said...

I am so happy for you!! What a wonderful, wonderful reunion. :)

Maybe Andrea will join FB now... ;)

Kim Walus said...

I really enjoyed this post and what a wonderful blessing being able to meet one of your brother.

Congrats too on Lauren's wonderful news!!! I'm sooo excited for all of you!

calibosmom said...

WOW! It sounds like you have an incredible lifestory to tell. How cool that you got to see your brother after all these years and it was such a great experience. Do tell more...

D-dawg said...

That is the best story. I'm so happy for you guys!