Sunday, March 29, 2009

Week in Review--Vacay Edition

Spring!!
Blossoms!!
No Work!!
Vacation!!
Sneezing & Allergies!!
Misery!!

I was SO looking forward to our spring break. Then the Thursday before I started in on a migraine. That's always fun. Three days later the headache was gone but I was left with the chest infection from hell. BUT, because I am a total Studette, I went on vacation with the fam. Coughing, hacking and wheezing all the way to SoCal, all the while thinking, "what was I thinking?"

Byron and I lived in Los Angeles for four years while he attended Dental School. As bizarre as it sounds, we love it there. Our kids love it there and when ever we have a few days, that's where they want to go. Mr. Thrify and Frugal 'Pricelined ' hotels and got us in to the Hilton Anaheim, 12th floor overlooking the pool and Disneyland for $50/night. It was lovely watching the fireworks from the comfort of my bed.



So we went to Disneyland. Actually they walked down at 9:00 am, I took the trolley at noon, rode three rides, didn't eat my lunch and was back safely in the hotel, half dead, by 5:00. I was
whole lot of fun.


Paige, this is how you do Disneyland. Take your husband


And his bank account, don't take extra kids and then leave them while you go back to the hotel to read and sleep.
Don't let the smile fool you, I was on drugs.

We took the boys to where we lived in South Central LA. They were pretty horrified by the neighborhood. It was rough but there were about 7 LDS Dental school families all living in these old duplexes. Our neighbors watched out for us and when ever there was police activity they would protect us "white kids". We lived above a three car garage in an old in-law setup. It was old, old, old and really cool.
Pink tile in the bathroom, a fake fireplace and a kitchen with about 10 layers of wallpaper and an old gas stove you had to light with a match.
My inlaws put in the metal door and it's still there, 25 years later. Once they were visiting and I took my mother in law to the laundromat with me and baby Rachel. She came back to our apartment..."Clark!! We're going to Sears! We're buying the kids a washer and dryer!" Score. Love it when unintentional strokes of genius turn out so well.





We went to the Santa Monica pier to show the boys the wackos there. We weren't disappointed. A "drummer" , pounding on paint buckets and hub caps. Now that's a way to earn a good living.



This is not exactly what I pictured Power Rangers looking like.

Then over to Sprinkles to get Rachel H. some cupcakes. While we were driving on Rodeo drive Scotty told me that someday when he is rich he is bringing me there to buy a beautiful dress. Love that boy. Jeff says 'way to suck up'. I told him he could learn something from his brother.



On to the world famous Pinks Hot Dogs. A bazillion calories in a bun.



I saw this lovely creature while waiting in line, she was advertising her line of business.
I'll pass.




We parked outside a Jewish school, all of a sudden all these little Hassidic boys with ear locks started streaming out. I was so excited! It's the MorJew in me. I know, I'm a goober.



I love driving in LA, it's kind of like my own little "Woman vs Wild" adventure.



On our way to San Diego to see the Hazens, we stopped by San Clemente and saw our friend, the ridiculously misguided Dodger fan, Tylyn. They live about a block from the beach. Gorgeous.

On to San Marcos and the Hazens! We love this family and are so blessed to count them as some of our bestest friends. It was fun to see RJ pitch in his little league game. We went to pick up Payton from school and we went into her class. There all the cute little 1st graders are and then there's Pay, with a crown on. Because she truly is a princess.



Then, the highlight of my trip....meeting DIANE!! What a doll, a teeny-tiny little doll. I very generously offered to share some of the junk in my trunk with her. I'm a good friend. It was wonderful to spend time with Rachel, my soul sister and to meet Diane. Not enough time, but fun.



Saturday morning was spent at the Oakland temple with this sweet couple, Ashley and Brett.
Ashley was in seminary with me for three years and spent lots and lots of time with me at school as my TA for two years. I love this girl and am so proud of the beautiful young lady she has become. In the temple she grabbed me in a bearhug and started to cry. "Thank you, thank you for helping me understand that this is worth it" she whispered to me. Those are the moments that make the early, early mornings worth it, when you realize that you HAVE done something good in the world.


Just a little quiet moment, hard to find at a wedding.


Is there anything more beautiful than a happy bride?

THEN, we saw Celia's kids in Fiddler on the Roof. Celia has every right to be proud, they were marvelous. My mouth hurt from smiling so much!

I came back home to five days worth of dishes in the sink that Mitch 'forgot' to wash and even more blossoms. Home sweet home.

23 comments:

the wrath of khandrea said...

this post was awesome. i just read celia's sunday synopsis as well, and i feel so lonely.

i am glad you had such a super time. you deserve it. next time you get the urge to travel, come my way.

Celia Fae said...

Jeni, I loved the travel update. It was like I was there. I bet it was fun to see all of the old haunts. I close upped the jewish boys so I could study their outfits. Next life.

I'm so glad you came to the show. I'm glad you could share in the pridefest.

Anonymous said...

How sweet and precious from one of your students! Looks like the trip was fun inspite of it starting rough!

Tristan said...

What a fun week! Best part had to be hanging out with Rachel and Diane! I also enjoyed seeing the pictures of your old place in LA. You tell the best stories and I love it!

Erin said...

What a fun vacation. Sorry you were sick. My former roommate and her husband are at USC right now. She works for the dental school and he's in law school. I visited them once last year and she regaled me with stories of witnessing attempted rapes in front of her duplex and drive-bys. Crazy hood.

Hazen5 said...

OHHHH, We miss you guys already. My only complaint... not enough time spent at our house! (There is always summer) I am so glad we got together with Diane too!

Thanks for the sprinkles and the laughs

Paige said...

Excellent. Excellent post. Jeff and I lived in LA too during our formative years and loved it and love to take our kids to our old apartments!

You need to give me a lesson on Disneyland,. Your way is the right way. $50 on a hotel? We spent $750 Honestly. I'm an idiot. Can't believe you got to see tiny Diane! She's great and I'm glad she got a visit from you. How lucky!

Anonymous said...

that's not a very studly looking power ranger! i could probably take him down and that isn't saying much.

Kim Walus said...

It looks like you had a great week despite your illness. I'm glad you had time to relax in the hotel while the boys were having fun. There's nothing like quiet and a good book to go with it.

I hope you're feeling better too!

Hugs!

Ilene said...

Ah, we would stop at Pink's after a youth temple trip. It was always a nice contrast to the temple atmosphere.

So when are you coming to Boise? You and I can ding dong ditch Dian's son.

Nancy said...

Sounds like you had a great time!

diane said...

You had an action packed week. I'm glad you fit me into the schedule. It was so much fun to spend a little time with you.

You are a generous friend. You are beautiful too.

I hope you are feeling better. That was a nasty cough.

calibosmom said...

What a fabulous travelogue! I felt like I was right there with you. So lucky you could meet Diane!

Lauren in GA said...

That was awesome!! I am sorry you sarted out feeling so lousy, though.

I agree, Jeff could learn a few things from Scotty ☺.

I love that you went to your old dental school apartment...and that the metal door is STILL there!!

You are looking awesome, Jeni...I know you won't believe me but I truly mean it!

Annemarie said...

Fun trip and I am completely jealous of the breakfast meeting.

I second Lauren...you look beatiful!

Renee said...

Wow, what a busy vacation! You did all that in 5 days? I've never had any desire to visit L.A. but you may have changed my mind. Maybe we'll make the trip down there when that high-speed rail is up and running. (in 20 years?...) Ok, maybe we'll drive down there.

Robin said...

What a great trip. I really want a sprinkles cupcake! Waa!

D-dawg said...

Great trip recap. And great pictures to go with it. You guys had so much fun. We went nowhere so I'm jealous.

And yes, I would try to take some photos of your daughter- if she really moves as much as you say it could be hard but we could try!

Jen said...

This post rocks! The Power Ranger, the Jewish boys and their ringlets and last, but not least, the s*! inspector (at least, that's what I think her shirt said)...classic.

So jealous that you actually had a spring break. We have an extra day off for Easter. And that's it. An extended, lousy weekend. So lame.

Lindsey said...

Sounds like a total blast. Especially eating SPRINKLES! Yum-o.

queenieweenie said...

I'm so bummed I missed you! Looks like you had a perfect time (besides the sicky part).

Jake said...

Oh I am so excited...am I your next vacay visit?!! Can't wait.

Pam said...

Hey there - I just happened upon your blog from another friend's blog - Do you remember me? Pam Walton from Girls' Camp in Antioch? Your blog is great! Glad you're doing well.