Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Stunned and Baffled


It's my version of 'shock and awe'


It's no secret that California is one of the top 5 Liberal states in the US. We rank behind Washington, Oregon, Massachusetts and Vermont in our Liberalism. Our court system also leans to the left.


WAY left.


Last fall we had the big Prop 8 vote, you remember....the marriage between a man and a woman thing....


54% percent of voting Californians voted "Yes" on '8', voting to keep the definition of Marriage in California as a 'union between a man and a woman'. Personally, I believe in this. I also believe that there should be some form of a legal, binding contract for other committed relationships between those of the same sex. I believe that everyone's right to love and buy property, form a partnership etc. should be protected.


But that being said, Marriage is ordained of God and needs to be patterned after God's way, ie. male and female.


Immediately, the Supreme Court was petitioned to throw away the will of California voters. It must be said that TWICE this proposition has appeared on the ballot, and twice it has been voted for in the affirmative. Obviously this was not some sort of fluke vote.
An appeal was filed within 48 hours. Then, both sides were heard, (rather quickly), briefs read, and deliberation started.


Today the decision of California's Liberal Supreme Court was made known.....................


They upheld the voters will. Our mega-liberal Judges (who never miss a chance to be liberal)

UPHELD Proposition 8, the proposition stands as written.


The media is portraying this as a 'split decision', which I guess a 6-1 majority technically is. All I know is that I am stunned, didn't see that coming. (Watch the coverage here). There are protests all over California. I'm sure there will be a backlash against the 'Mormons' again. There were some protesters at the temples today and marching in the streets.
As long as it's peaceful, go for it.


But... immediately an appeal was filed and papers for the next election filed.


At issue?


A vote on whether California voters should be allowed to change the state Constitution by voting.


HUH?

15 comments:

diane said...

I'm so pleased with our supreme court. Imagine that, they upheld the will of the people. I know it is not over...it never will be over. For now I am satisfied.

Now if our state can figure out a budget.

Ilene said...

Way to go judges! I was worried about them for awhile. I am happy to hear that they upheld the voice of the people.

I love how the side who doesn't agree with this ruling now wants to tell everyone else that they are not smart enough to vote on issues regarding their own constitution. Like they know better. I don't think so.

Ilene said...

Should we write a thank you note to the justices?

Nancy said...

I'm amazed that people would begin to question the right to change the constitution through voting. Isn't that the basis of democracy? I'm glad to see that for once the supreme court is upholding the voice of the people.

Rochelleht said...

This was seriously amazing. And yet, for all the attention and drama caused by this in California, gay marriage has been quietly popping up all over in other less-vocal states. Boo for Iowa. I'm glad we got out when we did. At least Texas is NOT liberal and if the US continues to get super crazy, we are the only state who has the legal right to secede. Bring it on!

the wrath of khandrea said...

this was very well explained here. i appreciate your take on it, and support what you have written.

Jessica said...

I hear ya! I'm up here in Washington, I'm sure it will be our turn to vote on this soon enough. They're trying to get it on the ballot as I type this.
I heard a radio host describe Same Sex marriage this way: To define your relationship as a marriage implies that your relationship is exactly like the one I have with my wife. Its not. Its completely different.
I agree with him 100%. Yes, I do think homosexual life partners should have all of the same rights that I, as a spouse, have. But its not a marriage. Can't we come up with a new word?

Jake said...

Wow. This has been all over the news here. I heard a reverend from California on the radio. He was so humble and grateful and articulate. It reminded me that there are lots of people of all faiths who want to keep marriage sacred.

Robin said...

This decision surprised me too and I was hoping that one of my Cali blogpals would post about it. It's nice to know that the people have a voice and this improve my opinion of California.

Tristan said...

I consider it a small victory. I'm glad that my vote was not overturned and that all the hard work paid off. However, I don't agree with the decision to 'Grandfather' in the existing marriages. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of Prop 8??? I think that is only going to cause even MORE problems. UGH! Don't get me started ;)

Claire said...

Court is so unfair. It would be like if I saneley killed someone, and court let me off the hook because I have brown eyes (debatable). I am feeling very Republican-ish. Don't ever discuss politics with Claire.

Claire said...

Sorry, I meant people and sometimes court. Thank goodness for Supreme-ness.

queenieweenie said...

Are the ever going to "give it up"?

♥Shally said...

Will it ever end????

Lauren in GA said...

I was in the hospital while this was all over the news and I was dying to get to a computer to see what my California blogging friends had to say.

I was loopy on drugs while incarcerated...so I appreciate how you explained everything here.

I was worried about protests at the temples again. I hope everything is okay.