Monday, May 11, 2009

Pardon me, your slip is showing






This is the chair in my office. I spend more time here than any other place in my life. I wish I spent more time sleeping than in this chair, but I don't. I am chained to it. It looks like a nice, ordinary, average office chair doesn't it? But it's not. It's evil.



This is the plastic mat that my chair sits on. Notice the damaged part? It's plastic missing, not a huge piece, but just enough.

So, last Thursday I was sitting in my chair, ticked off because when they called the kid in to ask him about the phone (see below) he denied having it and "you can't call him a liar...." I digress.

ANYWAY, I was sitting in my chair talking to Officer Bell, the cute, cute, cute Journalism teacher and my office mate, Marty. There were two students standing at my counter. I was going to back up in my chair to go help the kids and my wheel got stuck in the little hole. So I rocked a little to loosen it and ....

whooomp!!!

There I went!

The chair flew out from under me, I fell forward, my head hitting my desk, skinning my ankle and then the chair came down and hit me on the back of the head. I was absolutely dazed and found myself of the floor with my leg at an ungodly angle and a chair on top of me.

After the initial dead silence where you just know they were thinking "do I laugh? What can I do NOW?" Matt comes over, "Jeni are you okay? What do you need?" All I could think of is to get me a blanket so I can throw it over myself and be invisible. (It works for Michael Jackson's kids...)

Everyone else in the office comes running...

and there I am,

with a chair on top of me,

in a dress,

sprawled on the floor.

I'm not one with a lot of dignity, but whatever I had was now gone.

They all helped me up and wouldn't you know it? I couldn't walk. I don't think there is a klutzy-er person on earth. (Proof and more Proof.) The damage? Torn hamstring muscle and another black brace peeking out from below.










So, let me repeat...

"How did you hurt yourself Jenibelle?"

"I fell out of a chair."

"oh. nice."

23 comments:

Paige said...

My heart would be breaking for you if I weren't laughing so darn hard. I fall a lot too. It's a curse. And embarrassing.

Annemarie said...

However shallow this may sound...your shoes are adorable.

So sorry. I did something similar as a freshman at BYU. On a Sunday. In a dress. It was humiliating.

Tristan said...

I'm laughing so hard!! Not at you of course, but with you! ;)

I would be so mortified! You should bedazzle your brace!

diane said...

Oh crap! You know I fall constantly from fainting like yesterday and today.

Can we call it chair ballet?

You have really cute ankles and shoes!

I'm with Tristan on the bedazzling part. You can find jewel stickers in the scrapbook section. I did my brace and cane and walker. I'm obsessed.

Lauralee said...

oh this made me laugh so hard.. sorry! you are too witty!

super cute shoes.. seriously! love them!

sit tight!

the wrath of khandrea said...

but at LEAST you didn't have toilet paper stuck to your shoe.

there, now don't you feel better???

Christie said...

That's all right. I fell once while I was standing straight up. Just plain fell. It was horrendously embarrassing.

At least you have fiercely cute shoes, right?

Anonymous said...

You get the award for the best injuries from falling out of a chair! I am so sorry, that was incredible! What a great sense of humor you have! And thanks for your tender comments on my blog about my dad.

Robin said...

I am sorry but this really made me laugh. I hope you can laugh about it too...one day. Poor Poor Jeni! If I was there I would bring you some See's and I would re-enact the falling off the chair and you would laugh. You would laugh hard. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Kim Walus said...

Wow,that stinks. Did you get the phone back? No? That stinks even more. You described it so well I felt like I was there. I'm sooo sorry you got hurt and hope it's beginning to feel better. How's your head?

Lisa-Marie said...

Is it funny to YOU, yet?

Did you get a new floor mat? And make the school pay for it? You should.

Erin said...

That stinks. You should get an award for that. :)

Untypically Jia said...

Girl you and I sure would make a pair! I think if the two of us ever met in real life, we would collide on impact and break our necks! LOL!

Feel better sweetie!

calibosmom said...

I really don't mean to laugh but when you describe it so well, I just can't help it. I'm sure you'll get a new matt and chair out of this....I'd ask for a raise too!

Ilene said...

So do you get workman's comp?

That would be a silver lining.

I hope you heal quickly!

I'm sorry for your pain but at least you give us a good story.

Lauren in GA said...

Well, those shoes are fantastic...I love them...uh, but of course, that wasn't the point of this post.

May I compliment you on the brilliance of your title...and your beautiful skirt...and your witty writing...

I am sorry you got hurt. Did you get a goose egg where you hit the desk? I am sorry...

but, again...the shoes are darling ;)

Jake said...

Oh, so glad you have a sense of humor! And great style!

Hazen5 said...

No way, ONLY YOU could pull that off with grace! I hope you are feeling okay.

Rochelleht said...

Oh. MY. GOSH!

That so sucks. I'm so sorry.

Where's the phone!?

queenieweenie said...

BUMMER!!! At least you have really cute shoes to ease the pain.

Celia Fae said...

Oh Jeni. You sure are having some rotten luck lately. Want me to sub seminary for you? Ha ha. JK.

Seriously, though. You could sue them.

Today we drove past Liberty and Claire suggested that we come and see you. It's a good idea. She's a regular reader, you know.

shauna said...

Falling out off the computer chair in jogging shorts from laughing so hard is not nearly as funny as the way you did it.

I am glad you are ok.

life in red shoes said...

Hey, but the shoes are darling!