Friday, July 10, 2009

Taking a Hike


(photo credit to Andrea)

This is my 15 year old son Jeff.

He is about to undertake the most difficult thing he has ever attempted.

Monday morning, 6 am, his Scout troop leaves to go on a 50 mile hike through Yosemite.

We are making him go. We are forcing him to go. We are giving him no free agency or options.

He is going.

He can go happy...

He can go sad...

He is going.

Poor, poor Jeff is convinced that we are trying to kill him.

He would rather have a root canal with no anesthesia than go on this hike.

He is going to miss the TV, his beloved Giants, chicken nuggets, sleeping in, bossing Scotty around, texting. It's going to be a grim existence for poor, poor Jeff.

He has offered to tell me I'm beautiful 50 times a day, if I don't make him go.

He has offered to read 3 hours a day, if I don't make him go.

He has offered to be an au pair for Erin & Phil for the summer if I don't make him go.

He has offered to kiss my feet and rub my back every day, if I don't make him go. (Tempting)

He has offered to eat no nuggets for a week, if I don't make him go. (this is the supreme sacrifice)

If he offered to guarantee me straight A's in school with no missing homework for the next three years we might have a deal. But he didn't think of it and now it's too late.

Our logic is that once he does this he will know that he is capable of doing anything. Lugging a 25lb. pack for six days over hills and trails is going to be difficult, no doubt about it. But what a character building experience for him. The memories he will have will be priceless. That feeling you get when you accomplish something REALLY hard will be priceless.

So we're packing him up today. Got the tent, the sleeping bag, the hiking boots, the freeze dried food (no nuggets though), rope, tp, a compass, a camel back and one nervous, unhappy boy.

I think he'll live.

We'll miss him if he doesn't.



















The feeling he'll have when he is standing on top of Halfdome will make it all worth it.

And the trip to McDonald's when he gets home.








18 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a great Mom! I love it! We do have to give them a little push once in awhile, besides, He'll Love IT!

Annemarie said...

You ARE a great mom and I am laughing so hard right now.
We are at the stage where my boys get so excited about stuff like this. I know it won't last, though, and in a few years I will have to re read this post.

Tina said...

You're great! I am learning to be a mom like you. Cute post! Hope he ends up having a good time, and thanking you in the end. The pictures of my boys (husband and son) on top of half dome were amazing. So glad I wasn't there. But I'm glad they were!

Jeff said...

I am not going.

the wrath of khandrea said...

jeff's comment is the best of all.

i am so excited for him to get out there and kick some mother nature ass!!

seriously awaiting the follow up post.

Lauralee said...

You are a GREAT mom.. that has got to be hard to help him get out there... but he will thank you- some day!

Linsey said...

He's going to love it...they always do. Sometimes it takes awhile for the benefits to sink in, but it will eventually. Sounds like fun to me!

Kim Walus said...

What a cute picture of Jeff! I love it! I'm going to have to print it if that's okay. Love that kid! Scotty too! You must come visit us sometime. Tell Jeff- I know he can dig deep and do this and he will be a better person because of it.

Tell him to remember to pray when he's struggling and apply all those things he's learned in seminary this past year. I look forward to the report when he comes home. I Love all of you and it was so fun visiting with you and the food was YUMMY!!!

Nancy said...

He'll do great and he'll love the experience later. Good luck getting him to go!

Tristan said...

You are so doing the right thing! You are an awesome Mom!! He will thank you for it someday.

I've gotten to know Jeff a little through FB. He is a fantastic kid! He will do great and have a lot of fun!

ellen said...

I bet he'll have a great time and will have lots of stories to tell! And, even adults have to do things they don't want to do. :)

Paige said...

I'm so glad you are making him go. Unless he's been training though, I wouldn't want to be one of the people on that hike pushing his slow heinie up the hill.

You forgot facebook. He's going to miss facebook most of all.

Rick Deutsch said...

This will a life "influencing" trip. Go for it! Read about the Boy Scout troop from Pleasanton that did the Half Dome hike in June... se July 11 blog entry-->

http://mrhalfdome.wordpress.com/

and

http://www.HikeHalfDome.com

--
Rick Deutsch ("Mr. Half Dome")
Speaker, Adventurer, Author
"One Best Hike: Yosemite’s Half Dome"

Hazen5 said...

Jeff, you will be glad you did it! It may not be the day after or even 3 years later. But, one day you will be proud!

Robin said...

Whoa! he will be on top of half-dome? Holy Cow! That is cool!

calibosmom said...

I can't WAIT to hear all about it. I think you should post and then let Jeff post. I have a Jeff too but he is 13 and his name is Caleb. Caleb would not want to go either so I'm really anxious to hear how it goes. YOU CAN DO IT JEFF!!!

Lauren in GA said...

I love the way you wrote about this...it was so hilarious...

Well, maybe not hilarious to Jeff but I found your comedic timimg fantastic.

Admit it, though...you are trying to kill him, aren't ya? ;)

Jake said...

No nuggets?! Now that I have met him, I get the sacrifice. Good luck and happy trails!!!