Monday, July 27, 2009

Summer Summary

School starts tomorrow!
Really.


For kids in Brentwood, today was the "end" of our summer. I know, it kind of sucks...but we'll revisit that when we have two weeks off in October and again in March!

This summer was busy, busy, busy for us! Very fun, full of lots of people
we love, and seeing and learning new things, it was great.


Miche's Tavern in Charlottesville, VA., built in 1750. Beautiful setting and yummy colonial food.


Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson.

We started off with a two week vacation to the East Coast for the Groseclose Family Reunion in Pipestem, W. Virginia. West Virginia IS truly heaven, just like the John Denver song.


Pipestem, W. VA. , the view from the hotel balcony.
Pipestem Lake


We spent 4 lazy, family filled days there and in Virginia. Byron's family settled in VA in the 1720's. There is a valley there in the southwest corner that is still home to many cousins and the
family homestead is still there.


The Groseclose homestead, built in 1750.

It is so picturesque and like Mayberry; loved it. Byron loved the food, good old Southern fare!!


The site of the original Groseclose mill, built in 1724, part of it still stands.


The Sharon Luthern Church, built in 1810. 80% of the people buried there are related!

From there we traveled to Pennsylvania. I was excited to have the opportunity to go Gettysburg and see the sites there. It was stunning and humbling. Oh, and because I'm me....I got a doozy case of pink eye.


Next on to Hershey, PA!! I have a well documented LOVE of all things chocolate, so this was totally fun for me. I am not much of a thrill ride kind of girl, but I like seeing my fam have fun. While we were there we saw some Amish kids going on water rides with all their Amish clothes on, it was pretty funny.



Much to my children's dismay, we went to Lancaster County to see the Amish country. They changed their minds when they tasted all the yummy food and saw how beautiful the countryside was. I embarrassed them by asking tons of questions. That's my job...to embarass them. By the way, loved the quilt shops!!!




Then....one of the highlights of my trip. We went to Yardley, PA and stayed with one of my most


favorite bloggers....Gabi!!

She is adorable and so charming. Loved her. She lives in the Garden of Eden, I'm convinced. It was so beautiful and we loved meeting her and seeing our old friends, Rick & Helena. Lauren left us to go home to Skyler while we were at Gabi's. While she was with us on vacation, Skyler was transferred from Portland to Milwaukee! 2200 miles and 34 hours driving, by himself. She was anxious to join him so we said goodbye early.


We spent a day in Philadelphia visiting the sites of the birth of America. We also had to have a "Cheesesteak-off" FYI: 2 votes for Pat's and 2 for Geno's.

.

Finally, on to Washington D.C.
where we stayed with our wonderful friends, Phil and Erin. Erin was my "go-to" babysitter when my kids were young and she and Phil stayed with our kids once while we went on a cruise. They are a fabulous young couple with two adorable kids (and one big dog). (Jeff offered to stay and help with the kids for the summer, anything to get out of the big hike. )


Phil and the kids, love this picture. The kiddies are really adorable, take my word for it!

(We love her so much, Jeffy's middle name is Aaron, and yes, it's after this Erin).

I love D.C. and have been there a few times. This time we accidentally stumbled upon the Pentagon Memorial, brand new and very touching.



Also, this time we went to the Holocaust museum, it was stunning. We were all very, very touched by the experiences of the victims. My kids didn't know that the handicapped were also killed; I think because of our Rachel - it became very personal for our boys. I was proud of the way they behaved and thought about the message of the museum.



When we arrived home I found out that my dad was coming about a week early!! Probably a good thing, I didn't have time to freak out and stress. I also didn't have time to get my carpets cleaned.


It was the hottest weekend of the year, literally 113 degrees. I thought my poor Dad (who is from Alaska, ) was going to melt. I was nervous but lived through it. My feelings are still mixed, but it truly was wonderful to see him and have him see my life and my children. I think he was proud and was happy to spend time with us. All in all, a good experience.

Then my sweet, wonderful friend Kim came with her family.

This was the part of my summer when I cut a chunk out of my finger. A huge chunk. Kim is so calm in a crisis!! That's one reason I love her. We love the Walus's and miss them and wish they hadn't moved!!

AND then.....ANDREA came!!



Woot-woot!! Love this friend that I have met through blogging. She is funny, gorgeous, outspoken, opinionated and so real. Love her. My boys thought she was absolutely wonderful and we hope she comes again next year when her kids are all gone. (Monterey Andrea??)

Next...lunch with my long lost brother Tom again. It feels so good to reconnect with my family.

Byron and I celebrated our 27 years of wedded adventure! He bought a car for our anniversary, a cute little Mazda. Whew. Not a mid-life crisis car.

Then Jeffrey went to Yosemite and Scotty went to Scout camp for the first time. A really good summer for them.

I spent hours by and in the pool working on my tan. I know it's not good for me, but the warm sun just feels great!!

And now school is starting and then Seminary starts on Thursday...can't wait for that!!!

The next big event in my summer?

My 50th birthday.

18 comments:

diane said...

You don't do anything half-way. You guys covered some ground this summer. The east coast, chocolate and blog buddies. I'm glad your dad visit went well. I can't believe you are really back to work and school already. I want to celebrate 50 with you.

LaDonna said...

Shut up...you are NOT turning 50!
You look AMAZING!

calibosmom said...

WHEW! That is a whirlwind of events. Looks like some happy times! Next time make your way a little more Northeast to Beantown and we'll show you the sites. Glad you had a great summer-I can't believe school starts already. EEEK!!!

Kim Walus said...

Wow! What a great summer you've had and we LOVED spending time with you and the family. I'm so sorry you got hurt though.

The pictures from your trip east look like a lot of fun and adventurous.

I'm glad you were able to see your dad again and reconnect with him and your brother. That's a special memory.

School- We still have 3 1/2 weeks so I'll be trying to cram in some more fun. We went school shopping yesterday.

50! I can't believe it. I'm right behind you on both. We celebrate our 27th on Nov. 19th. Congrats on both special celebrations!!!

Love you LOTS Jeni! I miss you too!!!

Jessica said...

WOW! What a summer! I've been meaning to comment and let you know that I've been thinking about Jeffrey and his trip a lot lately. I wish my parents had forced me outside of my comfort zones when I was his age. They didn't, but I'm making up for it now. I'm an overweight 34 year old Mom of two boys. I've never had to do anything truly truly difficult in all of my life (I had two emergency c-sections, so I can't even claim hours of labor!) I've recently taken up running. Just a mile or two here. Nothing too major. Then I got a wild hair and decided to sign up for a half marathon. That's 13.1 MILES!! What was I thinking?!?! As I've been training, when I want to quit and just crawl home and throw my shoes in the garage and say "FORGET IT!" I think of your son. And I remind myself that if a 15 year old boy can hike 60 miles up and down a cliff, then I can DO THIS!!! Your son has given me a lot of inspiration and I thought you(and he) might like to know that. Thank you for an amazing blog & for sharing the tales of your amazing family!

Tristan said...

Wow! Did ya ever stop and do nothing? ;)

You SO do not look 50!! You look beautiful!

Anonymous said...

beautiful pictures, and a fun summer! As always, I enjoy your blog.

Robin said...

You do more in one summer than most people do in a lifetime! I get the feeling you would be very fun to travel with.

Happy B-day!

Ilene said...

Don't you need a vacation from the vacation?

Sounds fun. Now I feel like I need to go do something.

Please watch out for your fingers. Those are important appendages for this blogging world.

queenieweenie said...

What a fun vacation. I definitely want to do that when my kids get older. Hope the pink eye and the finger chunk are healing well. Happy 50th! What are we doing?

Nancy said...

Your pictures are beautiful. I'd love to go and see all the sights you saw. I've never been back east, and the pictures make me want to go even more!

I can't believe you're going to be 50, you look great!

Robin said...

I'd love that NC contact: robin@4hr.com

Lauren in GA said...

I agree with Ilene...we bloggers need you to keep your fingers in mint condition ;).

I loved all of this, Jeni!

Ahhhhhhh, Virginia. Thanks for the pictures. I love that place so much.

Sorry about the pink eye and chunk out of your finger.

I laughed at your covert blogging. Love the picture of the wet Amish child.

That is really cool that you named your Jeffrey Aaron after Erin. I love that.

Nortorious said...

I think you've made a step up from ye olde homestead.

the wrath of khandrea said...

wow. i feel privileged to be part of such an outstanding summer. you rocked mine in return, so we're good forever.

Rochelleht said...

What a wonderful vacation!! LOVE the east coast. That's where we lived our first year of marriage. SO many great memories. What a blast. And isn't Gabi the best!?

Dani and Chandler said...

Dang it I wish I could have seen you guys!!! Let me know if you're ever stoppin through utah since I'm probably going to be here for a long long while :-)

gab said...

What a summer you've had, my dear! Thrilled that we could be a stop on your whirlwind tour.

Good luck with back-to-school and especially Seminary. Email with all your great ideas. I have four weeks to get organized and inspired!