Monday, November 2, 2009

My little hidden talent...

It's official...I am officially burned out as a creative mother.
For years and years I sewed masterpiece costumes...
A killer tomato, a shark, Harry Potter, various Pokeman characters, princesses, purple dinosaurs, skunks, mice, Genie's, Cheerleaders, Little Bo Peep.....
nothing was too labor intensive for me.










This year?
Jeff was a nerd...loved it, didn't cost a dime or a minute of my time.
Scotty was a ghost. An old sheet, a pair of scissors and a Sharpie.
And I didn't do a thing. I even forgot to take pictures.
I'm not even a Good Enough Mom.

Carter...Grammibelle promises to get her Halloween Mojo back by next year!

In the meantime....

It's well documented that I can sew.
I can cook too, as evidenced by my backside.

I can organize events.
I can soothe angry, out of control teenagers.

I can garden and grow things.
I can laugh (ha!) at just about anything.

I have some talents.
But the one I secretly pat myself on the back for?


I can carve a pumpkin.


I know it's not curing cancer or bringing world peace,
but it requires patience
and that's something I have in short supply most days.

You don't have to be impressed,
I am impressed enough for the both of us.
Hope I don't break my arm patting myself on the back.




This one is for Jeff who is still devastated that his team isn't in the World Series.



Scotty carved this one!! Chip off the old block!!! Momma is so proud.



The little boy next door loved this one..."oooooh scawwy"





Love this one!

I'm trying to think what I can carve for Christmas.

Photography by Jeff

21 comments:

diane said...

We didn't carve one pumpkin...pathetic I know.

Your work is stellar. You are good with a knife. Your kids should be afraid...very afraid.

Erin said...

love the pumpkins! Are they free hand or do you have a template? Either way...very impressive.

P.S. I recognized that kitty costume. I think it's sitting in my Halloween box right now. Next year I'll have a new baby to wear it. :)

Linsey said...

You are endlessly cool and talented...will we ever meet in person?

the wrath of khandrea said...

impressive photography, young jedi jeffery.

you guys are seriously talented. i struggle with the triangle eyes. we're coming over next year for halloween. jeffery takes the pics of my kids, scotty takes them trick or treating, you all carve teh pumpkins for us, and then you bake me great fall food. simplifying just got simpler.

Lisa-Marie said...

I'm caravaning with Andrea!

You really DO have some skills, girl!

I can't wait to see what Carter will be next year.

Rochelleht said...

WOW!! Those pumpkins are amazing!!

I think when the kids become teens, their mom has no responsibility for costumes anymore. You are just fine.

Ilene said...

You ARE talented! I can't wait to see what you create for Baby Carter next year.

I did absolutely nothing for halloween this year. NO pumpkins, no candy, no halloween cookies. Sure, I bought them a boring costume but I didn't even put them in it as Dan and I ditched our kids to go to the Oregon game.

terahreu said...

Talent, indeed! I am so impressed. Could you do that with the squash I bought here? Qatar has no pumpkins just gourds. Yawn.

Annemarie said...

Very impressive.

I'm totally coming with Andrea next year.

Tristan said...

Those pumpkins are so awesome!!

It seems to me though, that almost everyone had a low key Halloween this year.

Lauren in GA said...

I am stuffing Andrea and Lisa-Marie in my trunk so I can come, too.

You have the cutting skills of a surgeon and the bedside manner of Florence Nightingale. You amaze me in every way.

I have never made labor intensive costumes. I am amazed at your creations. I am totally intrigued by the Killer Tomato one.

Nancy said...

I like the pumpkins, and all your creative costumes. I'll have to post a pic of ours this year... I had a little too much fun.

Lehis said...

You are good! Mine was horrible!

Dani and Chandler said...

Remember when Lauren, Brady and I were Go-Go girls... I think you made those costumes too. :-)

And those are awesome pumpkins! You should see what my father-in-law's pumpkin talent was this year... check my blog.

Robin said...

That is very impressive! I think you need to do a post next year, beginning of october and tell us how to make pumpkins look like that!

Anonymous said...

Your carvings are fantastic as well as your other many talents! Glad you "allowed" your children the opportunity to do their own :)!

Hazen5 said...

SWEEEEEEET Giants Pumpkin! You are one talented Women, that's why we are friends. You rub off on me!

Jake said...

What CAN'T you do, Jeni? You absolutely ooze creative talent.

Jake said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

carving pumpkins is definitely a talent! i can't carve at all. i leave that job for the hubby! loved the pumpkin and costume pictures. you seem to be wonder woman to me. i just drove my car to party city and purchased my kid's costumes. :) can i count that as a talent? :)

Kim Walus said...

What a great talent!!! I loved ALL of the pumpkins you carved! Wow!