Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Calling the Marriage Refs....

Align CenterA very small part of Mr. Neat and Tidy's music collection.



Oh, where to start....

My husband, Byron, LOVES movies, music and books. We have literally thousands of these forms of entertainment. He is a methodical, neat, ultra organized guy. He alphabetizes his possessions and puts them in height order. Our books are very neatly put away, all the same distance from the edge. His movies are alphabetized. His CD's are organized by genre and then alphabetized. He likes to clean, which elevates him to a god-like level to most women. (He also loves to shop...I know, you're jealous.) Our house is neat and tidy and the dishes always done. He vacums, he puts away things When he had to retire from one career - he joyfully went to school to embark on a new career. He takes care of us, doesn't mind how many pairs of shoes I own, buys me purses for gifts, doesn't complain about my width, how much my hair costs and my monthly pedis....what? you ask...what could I need a marriage ref for when, obviously I am married to the perfect man?

THIS......






Yep, this hangs in my bedroom directly across from my bed. It's the first thing I see in the morning (after I put on my glasses) and the last thing I see at night. THIS is why I need a referee.

So, how did it get there...the focal point of the part of my bedroom, the room that is supposed to be a sanctuary? He says I'm lucky, he really wanted to hang it in the living room! Oh yeah, lucky me.

The story of how this came to be...

For years there hung a picture in my room of Byron and his friends on a white water rafting trip. The picture was taken at a class 5 rapids, you could see the terror and joy on all their faces. This was the pinnacle adventure, man vs. the wild! It was a little bizarre having Barry, Jeff, Kent, Brad and Howard all staring at me while I was dressing, but I got over it and just lived with it.

Then, that picture was replaced with this one:


The Avengers, ah....Byrons' favorite TV show as a youth. He had a mad crush on Diana Rigg and her alter ego, Emma Peel. I even bought him the collection for Christmas one year, feeding the fire as it were. Obviously I am as good of a wife as he is a husband. He then found this little mini poster and stuck it up in our room. Whatever. It wasn't worth the effort of fighting over.

Then he tried to hang this vintage poster of his favorite 60's horror movie. It hung for about a month and I threw a fit. Um, no.

I'm a loving patient wife, actually, no, not so much when it comes to this. There's a limit.



About a month ago Byron discovered this book:





He LOVED it. The best book he had EVER read,which really is saying quite a bit. He was engrossed, mesmerized...read it during his prep period, read it in the bathroom, late at night, in the car while I drove. The guy LOVED this book. He drove right over to B&N's the night he finished to buy book #2 which picks up exactly where #1 ends. Same drill, read and read and read. Byron was bummed out when he read it all and the #3 doesn't come out for a month. Sad, sad Byron.

ANYHOW...Byron found out this was a movie made in Sweden. He looked until he found it playing in a little art house theatre. He and his sister went to see it and loved it, truly loved it. So, Then he ordered the movie, in Swedish, (because we speak so much swedish around here...)

AND THEN...he found the movie poster. AND ORDERED IT. AND HUNG IT UP IN MY ROOM....WITH THUMBTACKS.



Just in case you missed it the first time....

Seriously, it's the first thing you see when you walk in. The girl lurks over your head if you are sitting watching tv. When I wake up and put my eyes in....there she is, menacing, daring me to have a good day. Some chick with piercings and tattoos bidding me farewell every morning. Jeesch.

So marriage refs....what say you?



PS. He says it's staying. We'll see.

15 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

Well, the beginning of the post was a fabulous tribute to him...he really is close to perfect...

I agree...The House that Dripped Blood was too much...

...and I think you have been patient in allowing a rafting trip photo and The Avengers poster...

...all of that said...I think it is time to let Byron have a Man Cave. Is there a place in the house that he could put up all of his posters without you having to look at it EVERY day?

Robin said...

ACK! I read that book and didn't like it! Byron Babe - no no no! That poster is creepy!

I agree with Lauren - he needs a room of his own to creep out.

replace that scary picture with a print by Monet.

Tristan said...

Does he have an office or something? I don't think he needs to get rid of it but I agree with you. It doesn't belong in the bedroom.

I told Ryan he can put anything he wants in his office. I'll just shut the door.

Byron is a good guy though! So go easy on him when you take it down ;-)

Oh and I LOVE the marriage ref! It is hysterical! You should totally go on the show with this!

Rochelleht said...

I have a Pride and Prejudice poster in my bedroom...

Erin said...

hilarious.

what about the bathroom? Would hanging it there make things better or worse?

Dani and Chandler said...

Loved the book. While that's pretty weird that it's hanging up.... you should try to read the book. I think my mom has read all of them already. Lucky her.

OR maybe you should start putting up pictures of Brad Pitt or George Clooney :-)

Elizabeth said...

Hello from A lurker of your blog...
I assume you wanted complete strangers to weigh in on this ;-)
Your husband sounds almost perfect but I am sorry I would be heading to divorcetown if my hubby put THAT poster on the wall. I didn't read the book but had the harrowing and unfortunate experience of watching (half watching half covering my eyes) that movie last week. It is so so horrible I just couldn't live with the poster/reminder each day.
Also I liked the Avengers one.

the wrath of khandrea said...

please send me the dimensions of said poster and i will solve this problem with a compromise that all will find satisfying.

you can reach me via email. or FACEBOOK! HA HA HA HA

Jessica said...

I TOTALLY agree with the comment ahead of me!

I think it's fun he has a hobby--I always wish Ryan was more into something! (tell him thanks. Got the book recommendation).

Unknown said...

Like Elizabeth I am a newbie to your blog, i agaree with everyone else, he should have his own MANCAVE..I would find that poster too creepy tobe waking up to.

skyler said...

we have moose antlers over our bed

Good Time Charlie said...

Mark is a HUGE fan of these books too. I think the best compromise would be to give up some closet space to hang it in your closet! After all, wouldn't he love to see it while he is dressing for the day and then disrobing after work? See, the sacrifice here is not that you wanted it out of your boudoir but that you gave up priceless closet space for his new passion. Now that is the mark of a good wife!

heidiram said...

I have to agree with Lauren. He is close to perfect. He has to have one flaw. If he doesn't have a man cave, what about hanging it up at work? Or can he hang it in the garage?

Deedee said...

I didn't realize that Byron was such a neat freak! I love all that organization, BUT the poster has to get out of the bedroom and into the garage or his office.

Cailotto said...

I think you need to read the books. Lisbeth and Mikael rock if you ever find yourself in need of a computer hacker, bisexual, socially challenged, genius or a Swedish-speaking, rogue journalist who solves mysteries and exposes shady bankers, and sex-trafficking crooks, well...you'll know where to find them!