Friday, February 20, 2009

Byron, Top Chef and color me Green

For Valentines Day this year Byron took Scotty to Universal Studios. For the record, Scotty loved it. I stayed home because I was too, too sick. When they called me from Universal Studios the next day, I got even more sick. Look what was filming there!









The FINALS for the Top Chef summer competition between professional chefs and judges from the show. Have I mentioned that this is my FAVORITE show? In my dream world, I am a chef. I dream of whipping up some exotic dish with spices I have never heard of. I make the best chocolate everything I can imagine. I cook scallops with perfection, I am sought after and praised for my skills, talents and creativity. That's the wonderful thing about daydreaming, you can be what ever tickles your fancy. Until reality hits and slams you back into the real world. HATE that.

So anyway, I digress...Byron and Scotty were just walking around and saw the sign. Being the Mr. Nosy that he is, Byron asked what was going on. Next thing he knows, he has a wrist band and is going to be inside where the competition is, tasting the food and JUDGING it! Color me green with envy. (just make it a pretty shade please.) Scotty got to go in also, but he couldn't taste the food because he was under 13. BUT...they liked him so they set him in places and told him what to do and filmed him. Scotty's TV debut will be sometime this summer.

I guess I should mention that there were signs everywhere..."No Photography". I think if you take the pictures on your i-phone, and do it very secretively, it doesn't count because technically, it's not a camera, per se.
Do you agree?






The four finalists, narrowed down from 24. It was hard to get pictures from the front, too many guards.

When Byron told me what the competition was about, I was a little less green with envy and a little greener around the gills. Maybe it was a good thing I wasn't there. The competition was the finals and the ingredients were ORGAN meats. Like, as in, Hearts, Tongue, Stomach and something else gross. The chefs had to make a "street food" using one of the organs. Ew.
So Byron tasted everything and Scotty even took a couple of bites of Byron's stuff. (I tell you, that kid is a stud.) They LOVED the tongue tacos. (It grosses me out a bit JUST to type it....!)Byron got three helpings of the tacos so they interviewed and filmed him. The whole thing took about two hours because they had already done the cooking.




(It cracks me up how appetizing they make the food sound!)

For me, even though I think Bacon is natures' perfect food, even bacon wouldn't disguise the fact that I was eating a cow tongue. Gives me the heebie jeebies!! ew.

So, I missed my chance for Top Chef. I think I'll stick with Project Runway, it's safer than my other two favs, Survivor and Amazing Race, and no gross food is involved. ( Just measurements, which are also scary). The grass is always greener somewhere else isn't it?


PS. We love Top Chef, life stands still around our house at 7:00 on Wednesday. This year we are all rooting for Carla, who is the new background on our desktop. Thank you Jeff, now change it immediately. It's driving me crazy.



Doesn't that just make you dizzy?

17 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

Oh, that is just not fair that you missed that. I can see why you were colored green with envy...I love how you said to just make it a pretty color. Oh, and I agree...I'd be green around the gills, too. I have always thought organs were for the discard pile. Ew.

Hope you are feeling better ☺

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

Oh MY. I'm totally jealous. And, I would have eaten them. The only time I ate at a 5-star restaurant they served ram's heart during one of the courses and it was really good. I think it's all about the preparation and making something that foul taste good makes a chef a chef I guess.

So I'll be your partner on Amazing Race, and I'll eat the food. You couldn't pay me to be humiliated on Project Runway though, they always make fun of the "real" ladies and hate making clothes for them!

Anonymous said...

Boy, if we could only be what we day dream! But at least it wasn't "ideal" food!

queenieweenie said...

there is NO WAY i could have eaten any of those things...ewwww.

Hillary said...

How fun! I love Karla! I hope she kicks those boys butts!

Erin said...

That is AWESOME! Can't wait to watch it this summer! :)

the wrath of khandrea said...

hmm. we seem to miss out on the exciting events like this here in idaho.

funny thing.

Jeff said...

UMMM, EXCUSE ME. IM THE ONE THATS ROOTED FOR CARLA SINCE DAY ONE. YOU ALL JUST LAUGHED AT ME. IM THE TRUE FAN <333

KaYla said...

I love how Uncle Byron took pics on the Phone. I understand how hard it is (like when I tried to take pics of the Mona Lisa). Cant wait to see the episode!

SharingTheDance said...

You are such an artist with words. You make the page come alive. I look forward to your posts. As for me. I will try anything that is reasonably healthy, cooked and will not put me in the doctors office. lol I love trying new foods!! I am a great guinea pig and lousy cook.

Wish it were the other way around, don't have anyone to cook for me, but the chemistry eludes me. I seem to be able to ruin the simplest dish. :o)

Sorry you missed it all, it sounds like it really was fun.

Tristan said...

Oh I am totally crazy!! That would seriously be so cool! I am so sorry you missed out! Although I don't know how many of those things I would have eaten ;)

Jen said...

Aaaaaaaa! That's a killer! I would love to see a taping of TC! However... Tongue? Stomach? Sick.

diane said...

I love Top Chef. Did they see Tom Callechio?

mamasuisse said...

I've never seen Top Chef! On your recommendation, I will add it to my TIVO list as soon as I can unstick my fanny from this here chair.

What a fun albeit gross experience. Let us know when their episode airs.

Ilene said...

I always get a bit woozy when I see the ham hocks in the grocery store.

Tongue tacos are not what I would eat either. I have had cow's ear (blame the Chinese boyfriend's mom). It was gelatinous and gross.

Anonymous said...

i don't think those parts of animals should even be consumed! nasty. i don't think i would have been brave enough to taste them. ugh. i hope you are feeling better! :)

Robin said...

I love Carla too. We have to eat while watching TC. SO I TIVO and we eat dinner around the TV. How can you not eat while watching TC. I actually salivate during the show.