Friday, July 25, 2008

My wish for her

When I was a teenager I spent hours daydreaming about what life was going to be like when I "grew up". My sister Rose and I would walk down to the canal behind our house with our transistor radio, baby oil and Sun-in for our hair. Hundreds of hours were spent talking, sunning and dreaming about what life held for us.

I always wanted a "white picket fence" life. I envisioned myself as the modern day June Cleaver. My husband would be a tall, dashing, successful Ward. I would wear the most current clothes, (with an apron while I cooked of course), I would bake bread, preserve fruits and vegetables, sew all my children's clothes. Speaking of children, they would be breathtakingly beautiful, charming and well behaved. I would volunteer for everything possible and be a stay at home forever kind of mom. My life was destined to be the life story books are made of, I would see to it.

Well, life happened. And as dashing and charming as my husband is, as breathtakingly wonderful as my children are, life hasn't quite been as perfect and trouble free as I had imagined and dreamed it would be. But that's life. My friend Vicki and I joke that instead of a white picket fence I seemed to have gotten a barbed wire one! But despite the wounds over the years, life is good.





Lauren, I wish for you millions of white picket fence moments. Those wonderful times when everything just seems perfect. It won't always be that way, but let those moments be the ones that define you, not the part of life that hurts. I wish for you pure joy. I wish for you that you never shed a tear in sorrow, but I know that wish won't come true. I wish that you have more tears of happiness (like I am shedding right now) than tears of sadness. I wish for you that you can always remember why you fell in love and remember the peaceful feeling you had when you knew Skyler was "the right one". I wish for you an eternity of happiness my little girl. I wish I could protect you forever; but now it's your time to walk together, making decisions, building a life and experiencing the good and the bad together.

And now as you prepare to go to the temple and make sacred covenants, know that we, your parents wish everything wonderful for you. As you leave our home and make one for yourself far away from us, every night I will look at the stars and know that somewhere you can see the same stars and I will make a wish for you.

16 comments:

Kim Walus said...

Beautifully written and well put!

I think that's the bittersweet part of having children. It's just hard letting them grow up, leave home, get married, and start having their own families and trials.

But, it's the necessary cycle of life and there is great strength and joy that can be found in our trials through our faith in Jesus Christ if that's who and what we choose.

Anonymous said...

I too wanted the white picket fence and when my husband divorced me after 21 years of marriage it all seem to crash down around me. As kim wrote it is a necessary cycle of life. Our trials. Our joys and sadness. I never really knew who I was until I found such inner strength and relied on my Heavenly Father to endure.

May your daughter and new son in law continue to rely on the Lord in good days and bad.

diane said...

My husband's middle name is Ward.
As I wipe a tear, my wish for Lauren is that she will live and love happily ever after.

Margaret said...

Such a sweet post! Teach me how to help my kids survive the teen years k? I'm scared.

Nancy said...

What a sweet post to your daughter. I can't wait to meet you both!

Hazen5 said...

Jen, can I borrow that for my girls? I think that's exactly what every mothers wants for their children. (You just wrote it better than I ever could!)

Lo & Skyler, I ditto everything your mom wrote!

Love You all, can't wait to see you in a few days!!

Anonymous said...

This is so sweet, it reminds me of the story of the Mom who wished her daughter "enough" as they parted at the airport, knowing they may never see each other again. They wished each other "enough" sunny days, financial security, hope, happiness, etc. to get by on following all those "other"times, it is really sweet!

Lauren said...

this is sweet mom. I know life is no white picket fence but i am SO excited for it. Skyler balances me out really really good so i know he will always keep me sane!! It's sad to think that things are going to be different and that i won't get to come home for every holiday anymore, but hopefully one day skyler and i will end up back in California

Anonymous said...

Auny Jeni- that was so beautiful. I hope that one day my mom will say something nice like that about me. I am so excited for Lauren.

queenieweenie said...

awwww...you made me cry...seriously, that was BEAUTIFUL!

Rochelleht said...

SO sweet!! I can't imagine what it must feel like to embark and that part of life. Scary, nostalgic and I'm sure you are of proud of her. How exciting!

Ardy said...

I love what you wrote to your prescious daughter (my new step- daughter-in-law)Making it more perfect is Sky and Lauren kissing over the white fence. Ahhh, such sweetness.--Melancholy thinking,we all have our trials,and different destinations.I could have written exactly what Jennie wrote.It's not just about families, but depending on Christ as the head and leaning on him.We don't know how strong we are,until our faith is tested and we only have our Heavenly Father. PS Hopefully one day Lauren and Skyler will end back in TEXAS.(Cali's my home too Lauren, but Texas is the true state to be in) Loves---PSS see ya on Thursday

Tristan said...

Way to get the waterworks flowing! This was such a sweet and loving post! GREAT advice! You are so amazing!

Hollyween said...

I can't believe no one has mentioned the beautiful picture! That deserves to be framed and totally enlarged on their wall as a reminder...

Love it.

Lauren in GA said...

That. was. beautiful.

Truly.

it made me cry.

Congrats to your beautiful Lauren.

And that is a dreamy picture, too.

life in red shoes said...

A friend directed me to your site, she said I would love it....I do.