Friday, March 6, 2009

How I got my Girl Scout Cookies...

Thursday night I went out with my friends. I am big believer in girl friendships, I think they keep me sane. We went to my high school's spring musical, 'Little Women', starring Shaelie, my bff Pam's ultra talented daughter. And she really was the star, she played Jo, and I gotta say, she was amazing. (And who knew Little Women was a musical?)

So while I was gone having a good time, Mr. Neat and Tidy got a bee in his bonnet and decided to clean out the refrigerator. It's a good thing I have him, I would let things grow mold and legs and walk out on their own in protest. But this particular episode did not go well.

Thrown away was the soft, yucky fruit. Out went old chili, potato salad and spaghetti. It was the spaghetti that turned the whole, usually fulfilling activity for Mr. Neat and Tidy, sour.

Now he says it was two tablespoons of spaghetti down the drain. Um. no.

So here's a public service announcement for you....Don't put large amounts of spaghetti down the drain. It clogs them. No bueno.

After swearing and plunging, and plunging and swearing some more, the drain was still clogged. I got home at 10:30, surveyed the kitchen and my husband's mood and went off to the store to buy Draino, or something like it.

So here's a second public service announcement for you....Draino, Liquid Plumber and Draino Max DON'T dissolve spaghetti. That was a $17 lesson. Learn from me on this one.

It was still plugged when I got up this morning and Mr. Neat and Tidy almost had cardiac arrest that he had to leave it all day long. I went somewhere after work and when I finally got home, Mr. Neat and Tidy had turned into Mr. Neat and Tidy Plumber. Arranged neatly were all the assorted under the kitchen sink products. He was under the sink, trying to dislodge pipes that have never been undone for 15 years. Virtually impossible.



He asked me to go to the hardware store to buy a 'snake'. Sensing that he was just about to snap, of course I did! I drove up to my local Ace Hardware and what do you think I saw?

Of all people! Celia Fae and the lovely and gracious and funny Claire. Imagine my surprise and my delight!



Now THIS friends, is the way to make a sale. Learn from a master all ye amatuers!

Celia came in the store with me and in the six minutes we spent together we discussed gift giving (wink-wink Ilene and Lisa Marie), wacky relatives, seminary drama and Scotty's soccer progress, (he made the school team, one of only 3 sixth graders, woot woot). It was like speed dating friend style; because let's face it, Celia and I both have ADD and that's about our attention span.

I bought a snake and went outside where I was assaulted by boxes of Girl Scout cookies. One clogged sink + 1 trip to the hardware store = 7 boxes and $28 worth of Thin Mints and Tagalongs.


Claire and her friend Brianna

I'm dieting and having several thousand calories of Thin Mint cookies within reach is an exercise in stamina. I will not eat, I will not eat, I will not eat. Lucky for me Claire buckled them in safely so I wouldn't have cooky crumbles when I got home.



There was tons more excitement before this adventure was over, but I'll spare you all the scintillating details involving pipe wrenches, drills, chuk keys and a trip to Home Depot. Byron went to the play, I took over and it's done.

And there was more than a couple of tablespoons of spaghetti, but who's measuring? (moi)

I'm taking bets on how long the cookies last... seeing as how Scotty has eaten an entire box by himself in one night. I'm going to need a refill on the tagalongs Claire.

26 comments:

Lauralee said...

oh that was a good read.. not fun I am sure.. leaving the sink clogged over night would have put me in cardiac arrest as well.. UGh...we have clogged our sink too putting spaghetti down it.. oh not good at all..

glad you got a bunch of cookies out of the deal.. yumm.. I haven't seen one girls scout cookie this season.. darn it.. I guess it is better off, but those thin mints.. yummm

Lauren in GA said...

You blogged about it all with such hilarity, I loved it! "Let things grow mold and walk out in protest." Bwah, hah, hah!!!!!! So, good!!!

I love Claire and Celia's chef hats. They are a cookie selling force to be reckoned with.

I also love that you could discuss so much in 6 minutes. That is an ensign of a good frienship.

Claire is such a good girl...buckling the cookies in like that.

Lisa-Marie said...

Man, if I would have known that my name would be mentioned while Celia was selling girl scout cookies, I would have been sure to tell you that thin mints and tagalongs are my fave as well!!! (All for the better I suppose. I'm trying to fit back into my jeans that fit me six weeks ago, before my surgery. THAT is bad.)

That Celia and Claire are so much fun. Love the hats.

I'm glad that the mess is all behind you now. That sounds like one big "utto, Spaghetti-o" kind of day/night/day.

Anonymous said...

I love it! What a fun way to tell your story!

Jen said...

Good post!

I live next door to a girlscout and I now have boxes and boxes of thin mints and tagalongs. She knows I am weak and knows how to work her evil ways into getting me to buy those delectible snacks!

And let me just say... I am woman, hear me roar!!! Good job on the clog!

queenieweenie said...

who knew a clogged drain could be so much fun!

cookies...yum.

Annemarie said...

HATE clogged sinks.

LOVE Girl Scout cookies.

Ever put Thin Mints in the freezer??? FAB.U.LOUS. Not that I would know, or anything.

the wrath of khandrea said...

i admire your moxy in taking a picture while your husband was about to implode. totally worth it, even if he perhaps would disagree.

i don't think there ARE any girl scouts in our town. i'm starting to get that "rip my skin off" feeling. i need my thin mints. they're especially good crushed with a hose clamp and snorted.

Robin said...

Yum. Samoas. Yum. That was a goos story.

life in red shoes said...

And in the end it would have cheaper to call a plumber, this could be a chapter in a book!
I purposely didn't buy any cookies this year, same reason, don't need the calories. Then my husband came home with some he had bought at work! Ya gotta love those Thin Mints... must be the heroin.

calibosmom said...

My Girl Scout cookies were gone in two days and I've clogged the drain but with a bowl full of rice...not fun! Congrats to Pele!

Lauren said...

NO SAMOA'S???

life in red shoes said...

Jeni! Red shoes, Nordstrom online, Ecco Bullion something or other, no bow but a button, pretty cute!

Jake said...

I couldn't help noticing how neat your car is!

Glad you had your camera along for this adventure...fun photos!

Celia Fae said...

Aw Jeni, what a nice surprise to come home to when I opened my computer for the first time since Thursday!

It really was a happy surprise to see you there to get my chatting on. Best cookie sale I've had in a long time.

We are rocking the chef's hats. Your car is so clean.

Anonymous said...

great trip to ace hardware! i can eat a sleeve of thin mints in no time!

GO Gray's said...

yum. I love thin mints. they sound good right now, I need to go find some girl scouts.

Margaret said...

I like the how the girl scout cookies got buckled it. They look nice and safe that way.

Tristan said...

You are too much fun! Loved this story!

Kristen said...

That was funny! Same thing happened to me, but my husband is not the MR. Plumber that yours seems to be.

I crawled under the sink, undid the pipes, drained the massive gunk of old rotting food mixed with water, cleaned the pipes, snaked the drain, reassembled the pipes, cleaned up the flooded floor, replaced the 200 misc. 18 year old cleaners under the sink, and tried the disposal again.

It worked. I was too tired to cry so I laughed.

Glad you got it fixed, go enjoy some cookies!

Erin said...

You're so funny. And the fact that you were able to resist eating those delicious little crack-laced girl scout cookies is truly admirable.

Good Time Charlie said...

That is so funny! We had the exact same experience when I was pregnant with Travis and Rachel, and on bed rest. That was fun. About 1 pound of Spaghetti went down the disposal, (I did it) and completely clogged the drain. Mark had to have our HOME TEACHER come over to help us. We were essentially helpless with home repair in those days. Reminds me of the 1 foot wide hole we put in the wall in Ali's room trying to hang a picture. I cleverly disguised it with a cute needlepoint thingy I did, which stayed there for 7 years, until we had to fix it when we sold the house and moved! Can we borrow Mr. Neat and Tidy for a weekend? I need help.

Roxie said...

I think I'll put some spaghetti down my sink if it means I get more girl scout cookies.

Nortorious said...

I think they should be called Tagalog's. What is a tagalong?

JaniceMadden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JaniceMadden said...

Wow! That trip of yours was very convenient. Not only you've bought yourself a plumber's snake, but you've also bought a lot of cookies for you and your kids. Going back to clogged drain, I had that kind of dilemma a few months ago, due to my cousin dumping some spoiled nuts down the drain instead of throwing it in the trash bin. Having a clogged plumbing, Minneapolis plumber was the first thing I had in mind to get my problem solved.

After a few hours of fixing the pipes, everything was back to normal and we have learned a valuable lesson: install a shield on the drain to prevent clogging. We owe it to the one who did our plumbing (Minnesota-located plumber). Without them, we would have gone to have that problem for a long time.