Thursday, March 12, 2009

Not my favorite...Humble Pie









How do you like your crow?
Baked?
Broiled?
Fricasseed?
Fried?
Marinated?
Jerky?
Barbequed?

I hate eating crow,
Luckily I'm not the one who has to THIS TIME...
This time
The Crow feasting goes to.....


Jeff!!!!




These are our friends John and Tylyn (and their newly engaged daughter, Tahnee)
We love John and Tylyn, they are practically perfect except for one pretty major character flaw.
They are fans of the 'cough' 'cough' 'gag''choke' (I can barely type the words...):



Friends don't let friends be Dod-ger fans.
The only good Dodger is....

Well, there isn't one!



They really are terrific people , if you can just get past that one little thing.

Last summer we were lucky enough to meet for dinner while we were in SoCal. John and Jeff got in a friendly little conversation about baseball. John forgot he is a nice guy and started rubbing it in that the best team in baseball has been a little down on its luck for the past few (many) years. He proposed a friendly little bet with Jeff, (which just reinforces my 'no-gambling allowed' policy) The bet was something to the effect that the team
that went furthest in the playoffs, the other person would have to wear that teams shirt for a week.

When the Dodgers (ew ick) went to the playoffs, John called crowing about it.
(They went out in the first round may I point out....)

So for months we have been waiting for THE SHIRT.
John would make little snide phone calls....
Tylyn would send mocking e-mails...
Really, they forgot they are our friends and were tormenting my son.
What would you expect of a Tommy Lasorda fan after all?





BUT....the bet was made fair and square.
The shirt came and to our surprise, it was personalized!
Jeff pulled it reluctantly on and shivered a bit with distaste and horror.
But he wore it. To seminary, to school, to the store, in public
Facing the ridicule of his peers. What a brave, brave, boy.

Opening day is just around the corner and John,
we have already picked out your Giants shirt for next year.

Get ready Buddy...it's OUR year.
Wanna bet?







And Tylyn...remember THIS day?....that would be YOU, smiling, at a Giants game.




Picture circa 1996...check out the size of the "cell" phone the guy behind us is using!!!



Love the Orange and Black
Go Giants!

13 comments:

diane said...

I love the overalls. What year was this? You look cute with short hair.

Rochelleht said...

What a sport!

Is that a CF I see at that game?

Kim Walus said...

That is a great story! Love It! I'm proud of you Jeff. That takes guts to wear the oppositions T-Shirt...lol!

Ilene said...

Insert "Oregon State Beavers" in for "Dodgers" and "Univ. of Oregon Ducks" for "Giants" and I know EXACTLY what you mean.

Rivalries are great.

Lauren in GA said...

Jeff is a good sport. ☺

I love the word fricassed! I am going to use it in a conversation today...somehow.

Jodie said...

Go Giants!!

Hazen5 said...

I am proud of Jeff for Making Good on a bet! Grandpa Melendez would love to see Jeff sporting the blue shirt too.

Even though we now live in Padre Town, our family still bleeds orange and black!!! We will be supporting the giants next week in Arizona for spring training!!!

Celia Fae said...

Holy Moly. I look like I'm twelve in those overalls and my teensy tiny body.

My eyes are teary. Slightly.

I can't even remark about the shirt I'm so verklempt.

life in red shoes said...

I like my Humble Pie fried, with ketchup on the side.

Tristan said...

Love the overalls ladies!! You have the best stories!

calibosmom said...

GO RED SOX!!!

Lehis said...

Oh my! Poor pammy fae! I SOOOOOOOOO remember her wearing that shirt all the time! I'm sure she still has it. And check out that long hair... good pic Jeni! Even though this picture was taken over 10 years ago... and I know women usually love their youth... you all look SO MUCH BETTER today... 13 years later!

Nortorious said...

They really don't like it when you go to Dodger Stadium and order a Giant's dog. I know. I tried.