Thursday, January 10, 2008

Here she is..we hope...Miss America!

I don't know how many people are going to see this, but I thought you could pass it on to those you know.


This is Jill Stevens, she is the daughter of one of my lifelong friends, Karen Stephens. Jill is a member of the Army Reserves and served in Afghanistan for a year as a medic. Upon returning, she finished her RN degree (summa cum laude). As you can see, she is also Miss Utah and will be competing in the Miss America Scholarship program!


I am doing a blog about Jill because she needs our help!

TLC is doing a show called "Miss America Reality Check" which all 52 contestants appear. For the first time ever, the public will have a say in the finalists. This is where you come in! On TLC's website you can click on "Utah" and vote for Jill. The top vote getter (?) will become one of the finalists if they are not already in the top 15.


Why should you take the time? Let me tell you a little about Jill. It is obvious that she is beautiful outside, but she is a terrific person inside too. Jill joined the military as a way to help pay for college. Little did she know that she would be deployed to Afghanistan. (a little worrying for her mom!) While there she took care of injured soldiers, helped the locals and served her country. She also was the first woman to finish a marathon in Afghanistan, way cool! She received a medal for her service in the middle east, the highest a medic can earn. Jill has also made a committment to modesty. She is an endowed member of the Church and her pageant wardrobe will reflect that.

On last weeks episode on TLC, Jill was selected as one of the top 3 candidates. One of the things they commented on was her leadership abilities. She was shocked to be in the top three. The show is on Fridays at 7:00pm on TLC. One of the reasons I think this is so cool is that "our" girls need really visible role models and Jill is definitely a great role model, not only for LDS girls but every girl. She is down to earth, comes from an awesome family, has made goals and works hard to acheive them. If you could take the time to vote for her it would be great! I "Googled" her name and there is about 14,000 websites! (This boggles her mom's mind!) The cool thing is that I didn't see anything negative and there won't be any scandals! So if you feel like it...pass the word on. It would be terrific to have "one of our own" as Miss America. (Even if you think it is dumb and obsolete, it would be fun!)





9 comments:

Celia Fae said...

Oooh, good idea. I am going to pass this on tomorrow. She is gorgeous!

The show is on tomorrow, right? So all of us who have no lives can catch it.

Erin said...

very cool. I've seen ads for the show but haven't watched it. I'm going to totally watch...and vote!!

Celia Fae said...

Hi, so I didn't get home until after the program to post it tonight, so I am going to do it next Thursday so people can watch it. I will still link to your site so they can read about it, but of course you can update the blog for our pleasure before then.

Hazen5 said...

I am so voting! Miss you! Glad you are posting.

Kellie said...

I started watching the show (Hello! reality show junkie here!) and I'll vote for Jill. She's setting a wonderful example.

Kim Walus said...

Hey! I stood in a reception line by Jill at Katie Millar's Wedding (in our ward) shortly after she was crowned Miss Utah. Katie, now Katie Wirig (she and her husband BJ are Mark's friends) was Miss Utah last year (2006-2007) and know's Jill very well. That's really neat Jeni that you know her and her family so well.

We are very happy for her and will definitely add our vote each week.

Ilene said...

thanks for the behind the scene info on her. I was totally impressed by her one-piece last week and sad that the judges take themselves a little too seriously. Oh well, she is getting great coverage on the show.

As for my blog name, my nickname in my family is "Ilene Green Bean." So Green Bean Ruminations is a play on words- literally it means "chewed up green beans" or figuratively, "Ilene's thoughts."
I do love green beans too. I don't know if I love them because of the nickname, though. As a small child I felt it was my duty to like them since it was my nickname. Wow, that was wordy.

Paige said...

Now I'm totally voting.

jenn goodman said...

Craig & Karen were in my ward goriwng up. Jill's brother, TJ, was my first crush. We knew the Stephens family REALLY well. I was heart broken when they moved to Utah.

I am soooo proud of Jill! She has turned into a beautiful women and so accomplished!

Way to go, Jill!!!

Jenny (Kuhn) Allen