Saturday, January 12, 2008

The terrific women in my life!

This isn't so much a blog as a reflective musing to help me feel better today. If you don't want to go on, that's ok.

Today a terrific lady passed away, Bernice Geddes. She wasn't a relative, she was much, much older than me so not a "peer", but she set one of the best examples I have ever seen. She was spunky, quiet, reserved, ladylike, kind and she loved everyone, (or so it seemed). I will miss seeing her, I will miss her German Chocolate cakes, I will remember her everytime I make Snickerdoodles with her recipe, written in her own handwriting. I will be forever greatful for the prayers offered on behalf of my family especially Rachel, Byron and Mitch. She loved Mitch and he loved her. The world is just a little better for her and a little darker without her.

Today's events have made me think of the terrific women in my life and I would like to pay tribute to them.

My Mom Rydalch: I can barely think of her without tears flowing. She took me in, a very angry and messed up 14 year old and loved me and never gave up on me. She was my greatest cheerleader and president of my fan club. She taught me about service, "i get to take dinner to ....", not "I have to..., I GET to". What a wonderful lesson. She taught me to sew, how to love the earth, to believe in myself and much, much more. She is my hero.

My mother-in-law Wanda: Possibly the most generous person I have ever known. Shy, reserved, artistic. She has taught me service also. She opened my world to the wonders of sour cream, dogs, and traveling. I hope to someday follow her example in geneaology. She is proud of her family and gives constantly to each of us. She is thoughtful and loyal. What a marvelous example she has set for me.

My mother Judy: I don't give you credit often enough, but much of what I am comes from you. We don't seem to click, but I know in your own way you love me. You loved me enough to know I needed more than you could give. When I really think about, that is the greatest example of mother love there is.

My sisters, Robyn and Rose and Stacy: Roby has taught me what unconditional love is, I need that example. Rose has taught me tenderness and has made me laugh for 32 years, she is one terrific person. Stacy (or Hairy as we call her) has taught me loyalty and unfailing optimism. I don't think she has ever said anything unkind about anyone.

My friends Karen, Margo, Bridget, Rachel, Pam and Vicki: You know my warts and love me anyway. You laugh at me and with me. You are patient with my faults and celebrate my strengths. You encourage me, cry with me, pray for me and pick me up when I stumble. Where would I be without you? Each has had struggles, huge struggles and yet find time to care about me. I am blessed to have each of you; when I need you, you are there. I love you.

My young friends, Kellie, Erin, Brandi: I look at you and see the future. Each of you has blessed my life and my children's lives greatly. You have been the "big sisters" they missed out on, and in a way, daughters to me. You have played with them, teased them and loved them. And they love you and so do I.

My beautiful daughters, Rachel and Lauren: You are my reason for getting up each day and trying just a little harder. Rachel helps me think eternally, gives me perspective and hope. I look at your beautiful faces and I truly see eternity. You teach me everyday to love unconditionally, to work on my faults so that we can be a family forever. I wonder what you did Rachel before you came to earth? I am in awe of you. What lies ahead for my Lolo? Whatever it is, I will be there, I promise.

I am so thankful for the incredible, strong women I am surrounded with. I thank my Heavenly Father for each of you. I am a better person because of you.

7 comments:

Kellie said...

Beautiful Jeni. It's wonderful to be grateful for all the blessings in our lives. So many people can't see theirs and I think when we are able to put it down on "paper" others can learn to appreciate their blessings.

Kim Walus said...

I'm so glad you have a blog! I happened to click on your name in the comment area and it took me here to your blog. I'm a novice blogger so, I didn't know that's what it would do when I clicked on your name. . .COOL!

Personally, I'm glad you have a blog so I can try to keep up with you better. I would agree that all of these woman in your life are WONDERFUL!

I MISS YOU LOTS!!

Hazen5 said...

Hello...I am crying! That was the most beautiful post I ever read (not just because I got a mention)! I am too blessed to have you in my life. My struggles are still coming and I know you will be there to help me through them (I am talking Teenagers)!! I am so sad Grandma Geddes died, I will always remember her sweetness to everyone. This was the best tribute to her. I love you and I am always reminded how much when I read your blog!

Erin said...

Not to many blogs made me cry, but this one was a doozy. What a great post! I love the sisterhood of woman, and the influence we all have on each other. You and your family have meant so much to me and helped me through the very difficult 13-15 stage. I have learned so much from your beautiful Rachel and am so blessed to have her as my friend. I love you lots and thanks for loving me back!

I just heard about sister Geddes today. I am sad she is gone, but will never forget her. She taught my CTR class when I first moved to Brentwood. She would always bring us beef jerky and raisins, and be so sweet to our often rambunctious class. I will miss her dearly.

Celia Fae said...

And Celia, wonderful Celia who lives in another ward but I know is a kindred spirit here on earth. JK.

That was beautiful and lovely and I am also sad that Sister Geddes died. Maybe someday I will be able to express my emotions like you do.

Jenibelle said...

Celia, you are a kindred spirit big time!! I love you too!

Lauren said...

this is sweet. i loved sister geddes alot alot.