Thursday, January 24, 2008

Oh! Bring back my babies to me......

I am very proudly 48. My baby having days are long past and today, I am sad about it. Whenever I see a baby I think "I want one of those...." I loved having babies, I loved the way they smelled, the way they smiled, the way I could watch them develop personalities, I loved that they loved ME. My kids were joyful, creatively naughty (oh the stories I could tell!) curious and in my eyes, five of the cutest babies ever born. Here is why I miss my babies.....

This is Rachel,(24)
(actually the first picture is Rachel and her Daddy, who is obviously having a vision of some sort. ) This was the day Byron graduated from USC Dental School. It was also the last day of peace and quiet in our home as Mitchell was born the next day. Rachel is our celestial daughter. She had a head injury at 6 months that left her severely disabled, physically and mentally. Rachel didn't walk till she was almost 6! But she is such a joy, always has been! I love her little ski slope nose. I miss baby Rachel.








This is little Mitchell ( just about 22).
He came in to the world with all the personality you would expect a red head to have. When he was two he started wiping off kisses, that made me sad and has left me traumatized for years. He is funny, smart, talented and from the very start, mischievous. He has kept us hopping. I love the picture of him and the gerbil, their hair is the same color. It was hard to pick pictures of him, it seems like every thing he ever did was cute! But, man oh man...has this kid given me my gray hair!!



This is Lauren. (19 1/2)
She was born into the world just plain sweet. She was so joyful and loving and such a little GIRL. She refused to wear anything but pink most days, always wanted her fingernails painted, would line her "babies" up and read to them. (Wish I could get her to read now!) She has been such a joy to us and has brought a lot of excitement into our house. One funny thing though, when she was 4 she took dancing, after the recital they told me that "perhaps she was suited to another hobby..." I think that was the kind way of saying "hey, your kid has no rhythm". I think that's okay though, she can probably get by in life with just that smile!






This is Jeffrey (almost 14)
who has the most beautiful blue eyes ever!!! He was so cute with his big blue eyes and his little sticky-out ears and his smile. Every where we went he charmed people, and still does. He has always had such an out-going personality. One year for his birthday he wanted a party with only his "big friends", meaning grown-ups. So we did! He is a planner and activity organizer. You can give him a paper clip and 50 little kids and tell him to entertain them for an hour....he could do it! He is 13 and we're feeling it, but luckily he has moments of sweetness, so we'll let him live here for a while longer!!!





This is our caboose, Scotty. (11)
His name is really Byron Scott, sometimes he wants to be called Byron, but I love Scotty. He is my hippo loving boy! One year that's all he wanted for Christmas was a hippo for the pool. That wish has turned into quite a collection of stuffed animals, games, books and videos. He loves his momma, that's what makes him great! He told me (at 8 years old) that he had decided to be "well rounded" when he grows up. So with that goal in mind he plays the drums, plays soccer, gets A's in school, goes to Scouts.....you name it, he does it. He is the glue that holds us all together, we love our Scooty Boy!




And here they are all together, not the best picture...but that's how real life goes, isn't it?
So to you, my precious children, my love and admiration and thankfulness that you are mine. Are you keeping me young or making me old? I'm not quite sure. But I do know that I thank my Heavenly Father every day for you and I pray for you mightily. Just remember, when everything else in the world seems to let you down, you have each other. You are part of a loud, loving, dysfunctional family. Own it...be proud of it!
Forever yours, Mom


11 comments:

Kim Walus said...

Thanks Jeni! That made me cry and remember how much I miss you guys. Your kids are great and I love them too! I wish we didn't live so far away but I'm grateful for all the technology that keeps us connected. I can't believe that Jeffrey is nearly 14, WOW! Scotty, too! They just keep growing up!

I agree with you. I sure miss my babies! Today is Markie's birthday and I'm in that reflective kind of mood too! I miss the "hugs" and the "I love yous" that would pour out so freely. Now they're fewer and way too far apart for me. I want my kids to call me everyday! I guess that's why I'm holding tight to my Kenna who's just 8 turning 9 soon. I don't think I want her to grow up but, i guess she has too!

Remember Jeni, Grandchildren do come and that is the greatest JOY on earth!!! It's worth the wait! I promise!

Jenibelle said...

Erin O. did a blog about "Grandma World", that's where I can't wait to be!!!

Lauren said...

this is sweet mom. sometimes i wish i was still 4 singing to all my babies in the kitchen!!! life was alot easier, a bit less complicated, and less homework...that's when i actually wanted to learn new things.

Jeff said...

Ugh. I look so bad in the family picture at the end of your post!

Celia Fae said...

So, I had to close up each picture and study it. Your kids were so cute and now they are so big! Funny that I remember Jeff and Scotty when they were babies.

When I think of my kids getting old like yours I get a lump in my throat.

Phil said...

What a sweet post. I love your kids, too!
I loved that baby picture of Jeffy. I had that same pic hanging on my dorm room wall forever. Such a cute little guy.
I miss Rachel, it seems like I haven't seen her in forever. I'll be out there the second weekend in February...can I pop in and say hi?

Erin said...

whoops. I posted under phil's name.

Hazen5 said...

I can't believe I missed that amazing post! Did I ever tell you Maddie got a Webkinz Hippo and named it Scotty? We love your family and miss you all so much! We have to do a road trip this summer and have some B-Wood fun!

Celia Fae said...

But did you think it was funny? Or just offensive?

Hillary said...

I just popped over from Celia's blog. You had me in stitches! You have a beautiful family. Sometimes I feel the same way about my kids, except they are younger and I am younger and I could have more kids but my husband is done. I'd have to find a new one if I want more:) I say never say never. Grandkids will be here before you know it and it will be a sweet reward. I know it's my moms!!!

Thanks for letting me pop by, fo shizzle!

Jenibelle said...

Celia, it was hysterical if not just a "tad" off color.