Sunday, January 4, 2009

Christmas, wrapped up!

It's been forever since I blogged!

Christmas, that wonderful, magical time of year.
We spend money, eat sugar, lose sleep, gain weight, complain, rejoice, feel the let down after and can't wait until next year.

Here's some of the highlights of the last three weeks:



We went to the Creche exhibit in Palo Alto. For over 20 years the members of our church put on an exhibit of creches from all over the world and from many different materials. Loved it, took pictures of a few I loved like this one made from Olive wood from Israel.
Then I saw this:


OOPS! Too bad I sneaked in a couple of more pictures.

I finished this Christmas tree skirt for the Newlyweds, got it to them just in time for them to leave for Texas.



Byron had two rounds of chemotherapy during break. The first went great, the second, not so great. Can you imagine getting hit by a semi-truck? That's how he felt, they gave him twice as much in half the time. Also, he has had very different side effects this time. But...whatever it takes!!!



We have an annual soup party. Usually the house is packed, 40 people, kids etc... this year it was the same night as Chemo. Only our very closest friends were invited and no kids and grandkids. It was quiet, peaceful and fun! These are five of my closest friends. They are amazing women with a whole heck of a lot of life experience between them. They are my reservoir of strength when I need it. (two wonderful friends are missing, they had the nerve to move far, far away...we missed you Rach & Kim!)


Marty, Vicki, Me, Pam, Margo & Maarti. Notice the tinsel on my tree!!!

This is the year that I let Jeffrey get on the roof and put up the Christmas lights. A rite of passage for my almost 15 year old. I am still recovering from my heart attack and meals would be welcome.





We went to the Oakland Temple to see the lights and an exhibit of bronze sculptures depicting scenes of the Savior's life. They were beautiful, (I followed the rules and didn't take pictures). The best part was that Jeff was excited that he knew the stories of the raising of Lazarus, the adulterous woman, Mary and Martha, Jesus walking on the water among others. The sculptures were awe inspiring. They leave here soon and will be on display at the Washington D.C. temple. GO and see them all you east coasters!!!




Our family loves Hanuakkah! This year we invited some friends and had a great time;
Celia wrote all about it for me!



Scotty was ordained a Deacon after turning twelve. Evil Jeni really wanted to take a picture of him passing the Sacrament, Good Jeni won this battle. Hate it when that happens.



This is my favorite part of my Christmas decorations, every one of them were handmade for me. One is Byron's dental office, one is Lolo's Cocoa Shop. This year they are really special as I won't be getting another, he had a stroke and is no longer able to make them. I love this little display.



Who wouldn't love this little Christmas Elf?



Happy Christmas present opening...



This is why I love my son-in-law, he loves Rachel.



We went to Bakersfield to see our cute little cousins (and Grammy, who I forgot to take a picture of)



One of the most exciting things that happened....



15" of hair gone, donated to Locks of Love.


Lauren looks adorable, we all love the haircut!!



Happy New Year!

21 comments:

Tristan said...

Sounds and looks like you had a wonderful holiday! Good for you! Lauren's haircut is adorable!

Annemarie said...

Love all of the pictures! The tree skirt is AMAZING, what a labor of love.
Happy New Year to you, too!!!

diane said...

Lauren's haircut is fabulous.

What lucky newlyweds to have you make a tree skirt for them. Such a treasure.

Jen said...

Okay, first of all love the tree skirt! Second, love Lauren's new do! Third, oh you are so sneaky! Fourth, cute Christmas decor! Fith, I wish your husband all of the luck in the world with his chemo.

I missed reading your posts! Welcome back!

Lauren in GA said...

I love Lauren's hair...so cute! I also love that tree skirt you made for her!

I am so sorry that the second round of chemo had being hit by a mack truck-like results.

You make me laugh about your heart attack and how, "meals would be welcome".

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great holiday inspite of the chemo, and yes I did look right away for the tinsel on the tree! The pictures are great! Lucky person who gets Lauren's hair! May good fortunes and blessings follow you each day of the year!

Erin said...

Glad you had a merry Christmas. It was great to see you. I'm sad I missed Rachel, though. Next time! :) Love you!

Christie said...

Looks like a good holiday had by all, and I LOVE Lauren's haircut. Here's hoping you have a happy and healthy 2009!

the wrath of khandrea said...

great synopsis! love the shorter hair. very flattering to miss lo.

you should invite paige to your ward if you want the pictures taken. you know she will!

Margaret said...

Jenibelle!

I didn't know your husband was going through chemo. And, look at you...you look like you are handling things so well. If your not, I can't tell. Being hit by a truck doesn't sound fun. Poor guy.

Lauren looks amazing with her new haircut.

Nancy said...

I love the olive wood Creche. Looks just like the one my grandparents brought back from their mission in Israel. And I'm loving Lauren's haircut. So cute! Wish Byron the best from us.

life in red shoes said...

Let's hope, and pray that it is!

calibosmom said...

I was starting to worry about you...so sorry about Byron-hope it all goes as well as possible! Everything else looks fabulous! Thanks for the update!

queenieweenie said...

So glad you're back! Wow..just reading about your Christmas makes me tired. I hope Byron is doing better, yuck. Lauren looks divine, your decor was fabulous, and you are awesome!

Lauren said...

too much fun!! I'm glad skyler and i got to come out to play!! I'm glad you guys could fall even more in love with skyler, i think he is about to pass scotty for the favorite child.

P.S. i ran out of bird nest cookies the other day and need more!!

Robin said...

I am so glad you blogged! I was missing you! I don't think you should be able to call them Christmas lights if you are wearing a t-shirt when you put them up. I think you should call them "tropical celebration lights". Christmas lights involve multiple layers and frostbite!

Also, the village is darling, the tree skirt is amazing (please teach me to sew), the chemo is sobering (thanks for telling us about it - we really want to know), the haircut is wonderful, and I think you are great.

Jake said...

Your blog absence was noted!

I want to order a tree skirt.

p.s. Our first annual Seminary Hanukkah party was a roaring success. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

mamasuisse said...

Your tree skirt is beautiful, and not only did they get it before Christmas, they also got it the same year you started making it. That is truly impressive!

I hope you have recovered from your heart attack. I have much empathy for those growing-child-induced heart attacks. For that alone, I would definitely bring you dinner, not to mention every other challenge you are currently facing.

Ilene said...

I think every newlywed wife gets her hair cut. It is some sort of rite of passage. Lauren's looks SO much better than mine did.

Way to go being the ultimate mother and sewing a project for your married daughter. I have a tree skirt made by my mom too!

Hazen5 said...

I can't believe I missed all the Christmas action at your house! I Love Lo's hair, I want her to donate some of that gorgeous hair to me. I am glad Byroni is feeling a little better. Come and visit soon!

Rochelleht said...

Wow, you are one amazing gal. I'm dying over the tree skirt and the party on the day of chemo. You inspire me all the time. Looks like a great holiday!