Saturday, January 17, 2009

Facing your parents' mortality


This is one of those serious, 'for my posterity' posts.

I remember the first time I met Byron's mom, it was in my freshman year of high school; I was living in a foster home in Livermore and she was my new Seminary teacher. I was a little thing then, with bad glasses, crooked teeth and not a bit of self confidence. I blended into the walls of the classroom.

Seven years later I came home with my boyfriend Byron, his mom didn't remember me at all. That was really okay with me because by then I was a totally different person. Byron's mom and I got along really well from the start. Oh, we've had our ups and downs, bumps and bruises along the way, but all families do, don't they? Mom has treated me as a daughter all these years and I have truly learned much from my very talented, very generous, very kind mother in law.



Through the years she has loved my children fiercely. When I would get exasperated with them, she would love them more. She has prayed for them constantly. She has worried for us. When my mother was ill and dying, she and Dad got up at 6:00 am to drive me to Modesto because it was stormy and I was too upset to drive. We have eaten many, many a scrumptious dinner at her house, spent hours and hours in her yard, we have taken trips together, we have laughed together and she has provided a great legacy for our family by making a scrapbook for each grandchild as well as writing a 500 page Genealogy book of her family.

Yesterday morning I got a call from Dad. Mom had woken up very confused and couldn't seem to remember anything and speaking was difficult. He told me that he was taking her to the emergency room and he was just calling so I would know. As I hung up the phone I was overwhelmed with feelings of concern thnking it sounded like a stroke. I left work a few minutes later and went to the hospital. As I walked into the room his face lit up and Mom just smiled. As the day went on and one by one medical conditions such as a stroke or heart attack were ruled out, it became evident that she was getting worse and worse. Byron came, then his sister, then his brother and his wife, each of us whispering to each other our fears and worries. By the end of the evening we knew that she was in renal failure and very 'loopy'. A complete change in her body and mind in less than 24 hours, an acute onset of systems. What happened? It was difficult to leave and go home that night, none of us slept well.

Today it was confirmed that her kidneys have shut down and she will start dialysis tomorrow. But wasn't isn't clear at all is the fog in her head. She barely can speak and when she does, it is out of context. The kidneys can be managed, but what about her mind? We, her family, are all very worried about Dad. He is the most wonderful man any of us have ever known, unfailingly patient and kind. (He's been Bishop 3 times and Branch President also). But this is something we never thought of facing. What if she doesn't get better? What if the fog never lifts? How will he/they get along?

When my parents passed away, it was devastating for me. They were not my parents genetically, but of my heart. This is also a mother of my heart, the woman who loved and raised my husband and helped make him the man he is. It is difficult to see her so ill. Her blue eyes are brimming with tears as she cannot express herself. I worry about someone who baked 200 cookies on Thursday for her friends' funeral, not being able to take care of herself at all. Our hearts are heavy, our children's hearts are heavy as we all love Grandpa and Grandma so much.

I know there is a God who loves us, cares for us and mourns with us. I know that we each have a plan for our lives and it is for us to say "thy will be done". If this fog and this condition never lifts and we help take care for years to come, then that is what we will do and happily so.

23 comments:

Hazen5 said...

Oh my gosh Jeni, I am so sorry! We love grandma Groseclose too. I can't imagine what she, Grandpa G and your family must be going through. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all. Please call me and give me updates. Let me know if there's anything we can do for you. Love You!

Tristan said...

I am so sorry! She sounds like such a wonderful woman! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

Erin said...

Oh my goodness. I love Grandma and Grandpa Groseclose too. I remember sitting next to them on one of my many Utah/California flight and her talking to me about geneaology and all the time they were going to spend in the Family History Center in SLC. It's hard to imagine things not always being as they are. I will keep her, and your family, in my prayers. I love you!

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. The thought of parent's mortality is a very tough one for me. I'm sorry you all are dealing with this one right now.

Lindsey said...

I remember my mom's mom going through something similar. It is so difficult, but even MORE difficult when it is YOUR mom, or MIL. Best wishes for all of you in handling the situation.

Ashlee said...

I am so sorry. You have such wonderful faith and I appreciate you sharing that faith with me. My thoughts are with you.

calibosmom said...

This is so scary! My grandma got dementia and then full blown alzheimers. It was so hard on the family and especially my grandpa. THank heaven there is family though! Everyone did their part helping to take care of them. THey eventually had to put both of them in a home-her needs were just too great but they were happy and the love only grew-especially for those that had to care for them. It was a sacrifice but if anyone had to do it again, they would in a heartbeat. I truly hope your mother in law recovers! She sounds amazing! I reminds me to be good to my kids because someday they will probably be taking care of me.

Annemarie said...

I'm so sorry Jeni. I can't imagine the day when I have to see one of my parents like that. I don't think it's something we can really prepare for.
Hang in there.

life in red shoes said...

Hang on, let the dialysis do it's job. Fast, pray...you know the drill. Foster home? We need to talk!

The Mom said...

I am jealous that you have such a wonderful relationship with your mil. She sound like a wonderful person.

Nancy said...

I'm sorry things are difficult. We're praying for you!

terahreu said...

My prayers and thoughts are with you, even if they are thousands of miles away. My God carry you and your family at this time.

Jake said...

Oh my goodness, the Lord is really piling up those trials for you! I hope the blessing pile is doubling up too.

This was a sweet post. I love that she was your seminary teacher!

Celia Fae said...

Crap, I felt a feeling of dread when I saw the picture of Clark and Wanda at the top of your blog. I can't imagine Wanda not being at the top of her game mentally. She's such a sharp woman and she is a valuable resource to everyone. I hope she gets better fully. Poor Clark. I hope he's managing okay. Keep up the good work. Carl would be happy to fill in for your seminary class if you need him to. He doesn't have a calling.

Jen said...

Seeing a loved one going through such a difficult health issue is soooo hard. Five years ago, my Grandfather went through something similar. My Mother told me he was extremely loopy and seemed to be having visions and everything. We definitely thought we were going to loose him. After a few weeks, he slowly became better. Now he's still a kickin' and back to his same ol' cussin' self!

I hope things work out for the best for your family. She sounds like she is such a wonderful person! Keep the faith, friend!

diane said...

Is it just me, after caring for my Mom for four years sometimes I think it will just be easier when she passes. Long term care is a lot of work. As much as we love them, we don't want them to suffer for a long period of time. She currectly lives in Minn. with another sister. She was originally coming in Dec for the wedding and then stay a few months. She had to have another hip replacement that couldn't be postponed. Now she is recovering and has some new complications. Maybe she will come in Feb.
I hope you guys get through this. You have so much on your plate with Byron's health. Hang tough girl. This stuff is exhausting physically and emotionally.

Lauren in GA said...

Jeni, I am so, so, sorry. It was so sudden. I will pray for your sweet Mother In Law. It is really hard to face your parents' mortality...to see them age. My dad is 73 and his health is failing...I guess nothing prepares you for it.

I am so sorry.
We love you.

Anonymous said...

It is so hard, even knowing "the truth" because we miss them so! Mourning is important and necessary and I firmly believe the way, time and limit is up to the individual person. May loving blessings pour out on you all!

Ilene said...

I hope you guys are doing as well as you can. Lots and love and prayers are being sent your and your husband's family's way.

Way to keep the faith, you are an inspiring woman.

the wrath of khandrea said...

jeni you are one of the most remarkable women i have ever met. you bring a whole new meaning to the phrase WWJD?

Christie said...

I am so sorry, friend. Hang in there!

heidiram said...

I am so sorry to hear this Jeni. She sounds like a wonderful woman. Your family will be in our prayers.

donna said...

What a wonderful tribute you wrote about your mil. We will certainly keep her and your family in our prayers Jeni.