Friday, February 1, 2008

Mother knows best!

Today was the 5th grade Family Feast at Brentwood School. This culminates a two month study of their family history for the 5th graders. We have made family trees, written about family heirlooms, found out why his name is Byron Scott (named for Dad, Grandpa and Great-Grandpa & Mom's high school crush. Not really the crush one...., well...., maybe!) And today was the feast.

We were supposed to bring something that represented our country of origin. Scotty is mainly German, both sides. This German heritage has led to a HUGE family crisis...What to bring? (As a side note, guess what Groseclose means in German? Gross Kloss= Large Dumpling. Really! A Grosskloss is a large dumpling. How fitting for me! How often does one not only HAVE a name but they ARE a name. I mean how many Greenes are actually green? How many Taylors ARE actual tailors? But I am a Groseclose and I AM a large dumpling!!!!) Just an interesting little fact.
So back to the story....we had a huge family conflict over the question, WHAT TO BRING? I told Scotty that I would bring Apfel Strudel or a German chocolate cake. I was told unequivocably that I could not bring a dessert. So I told him that I would bring the quintessential German dish...FRANKFURTERS. Hot dogs. Scotty threw a fit.

"No!!! You have to bring something you made!!!"
"Scotty, I have to work, it would be hard for me to bring something warm...."
"No...momma...you have to MAKE something."
"Scotty, I guarantee you, if I bring hot dogs, they will get eaten."
"No!! (amongst the tears....) you HAVE TO MAKE SOMETHING!!!"
"Okay, I will make sauerkraut with potatoes and apples and sausage."
"No one will eat that"
"I will make sauerbraten"
"What's that?"
"Sour meat with gingersnaps."
"Meat & cookies? Yuck"
"Scotty, I am bringing hot dogs."
"Can you bring chili with the hot dogs?"
" Chili is not German and we aren't Mexican. I am bringing hot dogs."
"Don't forget the catsup and mustard"

The outcome?.......








Notice the full basket I just put down. Notice all the other food. Notice the hot dog on the plate.
Notice all the hotdogs on the children's plates.......




Notice the empty basket where there was once 24 hotdogs. Notice the other things not eaten and barely touched.

Mom knows best!!

Just curious...Would YOU have taken hotdogs or made something?



Another note: Today is a sad, sad, sad day. Today is the last day of production at the Oakdale Hershey Chocolate Factory. After over 40 years filling Oakdale and surrounding communities with the sweet smell of chocolate-- today is it. I spent many long, wonderful hours there, ditching school during the 70's, lying about our ages and going out there to get a free chocolate bar. It is a sad day and I kinda feel like some of my childhood and teenage years have been ripped from me. Join me in mourning...

On a lighter note: Tomorrow is Groundhogs Day and the day that Celia answers ours, her publics, most important questions. I, for one, may not be able to sleep in anticipation of the BLOG of ALL BLOGS.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Jeni, your funny! I would have taken hot dogs, too. I can't believe the Hershey's factory is closing!! It is a sad day. At least we still have the Jellybelly factory, right?

Lauren said...

i knew those hot dogs would be a hit, and i am sure once scotty got over the embarrassment of walking into class with 24 hot dogs, he was probably glad ya'll did hot dogs too.

Celia Fae said...

We brought funeral potatoes. Irish, you know. About three kids ate them and the rest came home with me. I wasn't sad.

Thanks for the mention. I hope it was worth the wait. Oh, and thanks for the chocolates. I think. You are awesome.

Kellie said...

This was a great laugh. Your last name meaning was hilarious!! It's almost like when people look like their pets!