Monday, August 11, 2008

A little duct cleaning


One of the disasters of our wedding week was that our air conditioner decided, after 14 years, to die. With 12 people staying in our home, 30 people in and out, it died. It is now fixed, has a new motor and clean ducts. Those clean ducts make it work more efficiently and cleanly.

What works for an air conditioning unit is not necessarily true for my body. My tear ducts are very cleaned out, they have been flooded and drained and cleared almost daily for two weeks. Unfortunately for me, I am NOT working more efficiently and cleanly. I am exhausted and have a constant headache. What's up with that?


I'll be honest, I am a crier. A world class crier. An Olympian crier. I am a charter member of the Sob Sisters, a secret society of women who can cry at Supermarket openings, Hallmark cards, baby blessings, school band concerts...you name it, we can get the flood works going. There is nothing too trivial.



Enter the wedding, (nuff said). All you have to do is look at the pictures, no make up for this Mama! Cried it off.

And now...the Olympics. I have to stop watching them, the stories are killing me! I am crying every night...

There's the runners from a third world nation who eat worms for protein.
The 33 year old Gymnast from Germany whose son had Leukemia and she took him to Germany to save him and now she represents them, at 33!
The amputee swimmer
The Chinese gymnast who was removed from her home at 2, and hasn't seen her father since,
The clean sweep for the women's fencing team... (don't quite understand the 'sport' but cried over the story!)
USA men's 400M medley team beating France
The family of the slain volleyball coach
The American flag

There are 13 more days of stories, I'll miss y'all when I die of dehydration and exhaustion.

Producers, please stop with the heart tugging, tear duct cleaning stories. I want to watch, but I'm worn out, my ducts are cleared and cleaned. I know you're going to keep it up, just to torture me and my fellow sob sisters. Well then, at least give us medals for our Herculean crying. Gold isn't good enough though, I want platinum.








15 comments:

Annemarie said...

I'm with ya. Even the commercials make me cry...gheesh. I'm starting to scare my kids.

Celia Fae said...

You need to make liberal use of your fast forward button. You should be in bed anyway. You have to teach in the morning.

My kid doesn't know what to do when people cry. He lives in the driest house in the ward, although I did shed a tear last night at the prop 8 meeting.

Jen said...

I can definitely relate on the Olympics Bawling Marathon!

However, I do manage to suck it up if I'm in front of fellow ward members and some family members. Sadly, my husband has witnessed the ugly cry. And he still loves me!

Paige said...

I'm glad there aren't any other ducts in your home because I'd worry.

Lauren in GA said...

I am a crier, too...my kids always ask each other, "Is she crying, again?" One day recently, Brian answered..."Yeah, she's crying...I can see her drips." I think he meant, "tears" or...maybe he just is on to me...I'm a drip.

Jake said...

Pass the Kleenex!

Anonymous said...

You do deserve platinum! I appreciate those who are compassionate and not afraid to show and share their emotions! Sorry to hear about the air conditioner, it's uncanny how things like that happen at the most inopportune time!

Brigitta said...

one more Olympic story to make you cry. The 9 year old chinese boy that walked in with Yao Ming. Who during the Earthquake went back to help 3 of his fellow class mates from the rubble and when asked why he went back, he said. "I am the hall monitor it is my job to take care of my class mates." Boo Hoo, everytime I see him or hear the story my eyes start to water.

Travelin'Oma said...

I'm a crier, too. I cry at the airport pick-up when I see couples hug.

So...Turn on the tears of joy! Your comment on my child raising theory post has won the contest. Email me your address martyhalversonatcomcastdotnet
and I'll send you your prize! Do you want a "how to raise kids" book, or an "I'm through raising my kids book?" You're kind of in between, it seems. Thanks for playing!

Hazen5 said...

I knew we were sisters all along, "Sob Sisters" that is! You were a faucet at the wedding!

Tristan said...

You are too cute!! I am a crier but I have sort of learned to control it.

the wrath of khandrea said...

you know, i only feel it's been a successful cry for me if my lungs are still convulsing after the tears have stopped.

Ilene said...

I fast forward through the stories because of the tear-jerking factor.

The Olympics are so much fun.

Lauralee said...

you have a tender heart.. that is so sweet.. I cry fairly easy too.. but my husband cries easier than I do.. I think it is so sweet..

The pictures of the wedding and reception are so awesome! It looks like it was a great party.. bummer about the cake, but it looked great in the picture!

take care.. this is I am sure an extra tender time!

Anonymous said...

You're a baby