Thursday, August 21, 2008

Olympic Musings



As you know, I just had a birthday. I lied about my age. I'm really 40.
And this beautiful little gymnast is 16. We got our birth certificates from the same place.



At 40 I am younger than this athlete, Dara Torres. It may surprise you, but I don't think I am in as good of shape as she is. But there is hope, I am throwing down the gauntlet and challenging her to my favorite Olympic event, Carbo Loading a la Michael Phelps.
I have this one in the bag. Cue the National Anthem.



One of the true tragedies of this Olympic games. Horses from four countries that have tested positive for doping. The "illegal" substance that they were found with? Capsacin, which is the element measured in Chili Peppers to judge how hot they are.
Is Mexico or most of Latin America at this Olympics?




BMX biking is the perfect Olympic sport for those of us crunched for time. NBC's broadcast of the finals took about five minutes, and six medals were awarded in that time. There were also crashes, a dramatic race and a tiny country winning gold, all in five minutes time. What more could you ask for?



Here sHE is again!! sHE won the gold.
Look, I don't know much about gymnastics, but I do know that landing a vault on two feet is better than landing one on two knees. Olympic gymnastics judges evidently disagree with me, they awarded China's Cheng Fei a bronze medal even after she fell on her knees during a vault landing. Alicia Sacramone finished fourth despite, you know, not falling.



Mike and Misty, Twins separated at birth.



My favorite picture from the Olympics. The runner in front is phenomenal.
The runner in the back...brave.
Thanks Bahrain officials, for not making her run in a Burka.

15 comments:

Nancy said...

Jeni you are brilliant and I love you! By the way, I read tonight that the IOC is looking into the claims that the Chinese girls are underage... about time!

Great post

Anonymous said...

Hey, good one - I agree wholeheartedly on all counts. ome over and see my Nastia post...

http://uberburber.blogspot.com/2008/08/nastia-you-got-robbed.html

life in red shoes said...

I hear you on the Olympics! I was flipping through the channels tonight and caught the mens beach volley ball.Tell me, why do the men wear three times as much fabric as the women players? Why do they have bikini clad cheerleaders/dancers during every break? And is it just me or is there way too much butt touching going on? I was under the impression that beach volley ball was for out of work college students, just an observation.

Tristan said...

I am so glad someone covered all the scandals from this olypics! I was and still am ticked off about the gymnastics! I hope that China gets what is coming to them, the cheaters!!

Anonymous said...

Right On Sista! You sure nailed it all! I too questioned the gymnastics! I love your "carb" olympics, maybe I could get silver or bronze! You are so clever, thanks for the good laugh and perfect sense!

Anonymous said...

speaking of sHE... did anyone check Oksana Chusovitina's (the 33 year old gymnast)sex? I swear that woman has man hands! When she finished her routine on the horse I was amazed her her biceps! WOW those Germans really know how to build a sturdy woman!

Celia Fae said...

I've been giggling about this post all day. Have you heard about Shawn Johnson? She's the daughter of Fievel the mouse in american Tail. Somewhere out there....

the wrath of khandrea said...

i would leave my husband for dara torres.

what. i like older women.

Lauralee said...

loved that... fun to read..so true.. was that bmx? I haven't heard of that at the olympics!

Tristan said...

K I just have to say that the picture of Misty May is freaky! LOL

Fact:Bears eat beets said...

R.J. and I walked into Sports Chalet and speed walking was on the t.v.. He exclaimed "You've gotta be kidding me, they are kicking baseball out of the olympics and they show THIS!"

Jake said...

You need a job at NBC.

terahreu said...

I was going to check on the internet what is happening with the olympics. Looks like I need to look no further. Your update is way more interesting...Love it.

Ilene said...

Fantastic post. My husband still doesn't believe the Phelps calorie intake.

I told him I read it on my friends' blogs and that therefore it is true.

Lauren in GA said...

This post was positively brilliant!!!!!

I think I could give you a run for the gold in the carbo loading.

I laughed heartily at the birth certificate comment ;)