Sunday, September 14, 2008

A study in the bizarre

Usually for Labor Day weekend we go camping at our favorite place, Rucker Lake. We have years and years of memories of sunburns, fish caught, canoeing, family fights, umpteen hours of Cribbage, Uno and Phase 10.

This year Byron hasn't been feeling well and our camping girl up and got married, so it just wasn't our year. At a loss for what Americana thing to do this year, we decided to make the trek to Sacramento to the California State Fair. It's been years and years since we went;
now I remember why.



First of all, there are a lot of really odd people at the fair. Like this young man, we saw him and his mask everywhere. It was weird.



This picture does not do this woman justice. She was about 4'9" and weighed maybe 70 lbs, with lead in her pockets and soaking wet. I was worried she would collapse and be trampled.



This lady was doing her best Shrek impression, notice how, just like the big green guy, her neck sits right smack on her shoulders. Poor thing.



My sneaky photographer son snapped this picture of a woman for whom time has stood still. She had the most perfectly feathered mullet I have even seen. And she's happy about it.



You'd think that in California you'd be able to get a better caliber of celebrity. This is Richard Kiel, better known as Jaws. He is really, really, really big in real life. And he's not exactly handsome either. Pictures were $20, Jeff snuck this one in and ran.



Only at a fair would you find a 40 foot chicken. This one won Best of Show for the county exhibits. Who thinks of this stuff?



Embarrassed to admit it, but we are the proud owners of not one, but two, SHAMWOWS!!!!




Oh Fried foods! 54 different varities of fried foods. Oreos, twinkies, dill pickles, sweet potato sticks, snickers, triple fried fries, elephant ears...a gazillion calories and one heart attack just waiting for you.



Yep, this is us eating the block of fries.



I feel for this poor woman selling bath towels She had to wear this get up for 16 days. I wonder if she sold any? Certainly not to any member of the Relief Society in the 80's, we all made them in Homemaking meeting.



This is Raul the Texas bull. His horns are 120 inches from tip to tip. That's 10 feet!!! How does he hold up his head?



This llama was cute until it tried to spit on us. We're fast though.



Finally! Jeff has always wanted to be the big cheese. (Cheesey, I know.)



These two guys are about the only things at the fair I would look twice at!!!

And finally....



I was afraid of the ultimate answer, so I didn't answer the questions.
My curiosity is now killing me.

14 comments:

Paige said...

those people at the fair look eerily similar to the ones at the KOA RV park I saw this weekend.

diane said...

That was a fabulous mullet. Kiel's hair was awesome too.
I'm sure I wouldn't know the answers to those questions. I think the missionaries need a booth like that at the fair or the mall.

gab said...

My kids are DYING for a shamwow! Lucky...

life in red shoes said...

Oh yes, you're going to heaven. This post makes me glad I took a pass on the fair this year. My good friend went, she just kept telling herself, Heavenly Father loves ALL His children...even the creepy ones!

Lauren in GA said...

I want a Shamwow!!!!

Wow, you had some really amazing experiences. That mullett was a sight to behold...great covert picture taking goes to Jeff!!

You do not look like Shrek, young lady!!!

the wrath of khandrea said...

WE ATE THE SAME EXACT FRIES!
fascinating.

what the heck is a shamwow? dare i ask?

Linsey said...

That Kiel guy is scary looking - I suppose that is the point - excellent grab on the pic there.

Please tell me you had fried candy bars - we served these at our engagement party and people are still talking about them.

And, what exactly is a shamwow?

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! We also ended up being "Shamwow" owners! Loved your pictures and comments!

Nancy said...

We also have shamwow's (3 sets to be exact). For those who don't know... they are REALLY absorbent chamois (towels), that actually do what the crazy sales guys say they do. Right after we moved to Utah the valve on our water heater blew, and we ended up with 2 inches of water through most of the basement. The only thing we could find to soak up the water was our shamwow's. They worked. They probably soaked up 2 liters of water each.

Glad you had fun at the fair. :) I actually miss going... Try Utah's State Fair for some really crazy people.

calibosmom said...

You know why I love New England in the Fall (besides the beautiful colors)? The FAIRS!!! We just go and people watch and eat tons of disgusting fried foods...That is Heaven on Earth!

Christie said...

I loathe the fair. Being that close to such freaky people really gives me the willies.

Lisa-Marie said...

SHAMWOWS! What a fun word! Thanks for the answers as to what they are Nancy. And I'm really glad I was not the only one who didn't know what they were.

Loos like LOADS of fun to me. I get such a kick out of people watching!

Love that Jeff took the free picture and ran. What a stud!

Hazen5 said...

Okay, I can't believe we have never gone to the fair with you guys! Looks like loads of fun.

terahreu said...

Loved your account. BUT I really loved the fact that you got your son to take sneeky photos. I can't wait for my kids to be big enough so I can con them to do the same. Look, it saved you $20 bucks. Awesome.