Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A collosal No-No

Good Time Charlie is a blog reader in my ward. I love her. She is tall and thin and wears the best clothes. And her shoes....LOVE her shoes. She eats figs, I don't know if that's good or bad, it's just a little fact about her. She is well read, well spoken, and has struggled through some major things in her life. Her kids are adorable and always look so stinkin' cute and her husband is one of my favorite people in our ward. I love Charlie and that's why it makes me so sad that I have to be mad at her.

Good time Charlie gave a talk in our ward on Sunday. It was a well researched and well thought out talk except for one little detail. Unfortunately this little snippet in an otherwise lovely and spiritual talk was THE ONE time my 14 year old EVER listened to a talk in church. When he heard this gem come out of Sis. Charlie's mouth he sat up like a Meerkat in the Serengetti. He was all ears, awake and alert. (a minor modern day miracle!) Unfortunately it wasn't the 'children, obey your parents and be kind and sweet every minute of every day' part of the talk. It was...it was...its was...."Parents are not perfect...parents can apologize."


Out of a 15 minute talk, this is what he heard....

.......blahblahlbablebalablaneblahblahparentsarenotperfectparentscanapologizeblahblahbalhlbal
blbalblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahbalhbalhblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah

Now Charlie...we all KNOW this to be true, but to say it publicly, out there for the world to hear in front of "the enemy" is just wrong. It should be whispered under the covers quietly, it should be discussed in private among friends, BUT never, ever, ever in front of the children. This way, when you ARE wrong, and DO need to apologize and therefore DO so...it takes them completely by surprise and catches them off guard. They aren't expecting it and it means more.

I realize that you are the mother of still young children and have not experienced the dog-days of teenagers. If you had of, you would realize that you never, ever, ever give them ammunition to use against you. You'll be happy to know that said 14 year old has left the quote on our whiteboard in the kitchen for the whole world to see and to remind us, his parents, of our foibles and shortcomings.

You'll be happy to know also that the 14 year old's father left his OWN message on the white board beneath your quote.




He just wants to make sure the chain of command is clear around here.

Disclaimer: the above post was said with tongue firmly planted in cheek and with enormous love for my sweet friend, Good Time Charlie.
The 14 year old? Not so much, but he's 14 and someday we will like him again. jk.

17 comments:

Lauren said...

poor jeff.

i still love you jeff. and get your cell phone back, i miss texting you!!

Linsey said...

wow, I thought keeping that tidbit secret was part of the parent code, you know the one they tell you about as you're leaving the hospital with your bundle of, ahem, joy...

Lauralee said...

too funny! definatly a secret!

Tristan said...

I am so dreading the teenage years!

I love Byron's rebuttal! That totally trumps the teen's new found quote!

Lauren in GA said...

I love Linsey's comment!

This post had me laughing. Your vivid description of how he, "sat up like a Meerkat in the Serengetti" was brilliant!

Glad Poppa Meerkat left his own message ;)

Annemarie said...

So, so sorry he found that out. I remember when my own mom told me about that little secret. I felt like I had been given the keys to the secret kingdom. Granted I was a mom by then.

Your husband is hilarious and absolutley right!!

Anonymous said...

brillantly written and illustrated! My son's favorite scripture is "Father's do not provoke your children", we did not allow him to use it on his missionary plaque! Great blog, story and humor!

diane said...

Today I did a post in honor of your Wednesday wedding posts. I miss those.
There was a breach of secure information in your ward. Thanks for alerting us.

the wrath of khandrea said...

i knew i loved you for a reason. you guys employ miss trunchbull discipline!
bring on the chokey!! how far can you hurl your children? my record is 278 yards.

Caroline C. Bingham said...

Well, I'm perfect. So this clearly does not apply to me.

martyrudd said...

From your discription I totally know who Good Time Charlie is!!! Shame on her, but her time will come....

Hazen5 said...

Hi-Five to Byron! He's the best. Tell Jeffey not to say anything to my kids!

Do I know "Good Time Charlie"?

Paige said...

Had no idea who good time charlie was until you mentioned figs. Then, I knew.

calibosmom said...

Be careful or you might get a salamander in your juice. Too too funny!

Miss Candy Anderson said...

hahahahahahaha! I LOVE THE MISS TRUNCHBULL QUOTE! that's HILARIOUS!

Ilene said...

I still have a clear memory of being a teenager and my dad coming into apologize for what he said to me.

I was floored. I didn't know that could happen.

Good Time Charlie definitely never spoke in my ward growing up.

Good Time Charlie said...

Oh, you will be the first person I call when I hit the quintessential teenage moment when I really, really, really wish said child would magically skip from age 13 to age 25. I will be eating every one of those words, (I just hope they taste like figs!) Seriously, I was a HORRENDOUS teenager and I am quite sure that the law of what comes around goes around is coming around my way......

ps Glad you think my kids are cute, but you sit in front of us in Sacrament so you can't really see what horrible things they do during Sacrament meeting. We sit in the nosebleed section for a reason!