Friday, September 12, 2008

Friday Fun Stuff

First of all, I must announce the sad, sad passing of my beloved hamster, Laffy Taffy. She was a sweet little member of my family; and I loved this little rodent. In fact, some (all) may say that she was my favorite child. She was cheap to keep, never talked back, never left her stuff laying around, didn't hog the computer or TV and loved to play with her Mama. My children could learn something from this hamster.







Last Friday I was in Idaho; I went to see Lauren & Skyler thanks to my wonderful friend Marty who offered to take me along for the ride. She was going to Rexburg to take her last child Karlee to BYU-I. Now Marty and Brian are empty nesters who can run around nekkid all day if they want.

Marty is going to kill me for this picture. Say goodbye to me. I think she looks pretty good having woken up at o'dark thirty to leave on the trip. (4:45 am sharp I was out on my driveway waiting ) I took a shower, did my hair and makeup. I guess I'm more high maintenance than Marty, some would call it vain. ( I just wanted to make sure I looked good IF anything happened.)



You can tell by this picture that Karlee really enjoyed the trip.

I don't think it was Marty's and my singing though, nerves were getting to her. You're beautiful, smart, funny and wonderful Karlee, life is gonna be FUN for you in Rexburg.



Karlee was happy to see the Idaho sign, it meant only 4 hours to go until Rexburg!



I lost my obligatory $1 in Nevada. That's my gambling budget for the year.



I had never seen a soda machine with flavorings before...I thought the cherry would be good with my addiction, it was Gross beyond Gross. That's my public service to you in this blog.



Lauren and Karlee are so excited to be back together. They had always planned on being roommates but then Lauren signed up to room with Skyler. But the good news is is that their apartment has two bedrooms! One for Karlee?



This is a sight I didn't see often in MY home. Warms my heart. They have such a cute little apartment and are really happy. That also warms my heart.



We went to see Mesa Falls, it was gorgeous. After one whole month...and they still love each other!



A highlight of the trip was going to Yellowstone where I saw wildlife and Geysers. SO COOL!
Loved it!!



Me and my wonderful son-in-law. We sure got lucky with this one! Great choice Lauren!



We went to a place called Big Jud's, home of the biggest burger I have ever seen. It was so cruddy and dirty in there, but the tots and burger were great. If I had only been blind, the experience might have been better. (I WAS warned, I went of my own free will and choice)



I got home in time to get Scotty ready for 6th grade Science camp. What a nightmare getting him to pack!! I looked in his bag.... (no joke) one pair of shorts, three size 6-8 shirts, deodorant and a deck of cards. Um Scotty? How 'bout the list? 4-5 pairs of pants, shirts, coat, socks, UNDERWEAR etc...? Shirts that cover your belly? A sweatshirt since you are going to be in the Santa Cruz mountains and it might get chilly? A toothbrush?



This is where they slept, in cabins. So cool for an 11 year old!! A 4 day 24/7 campout with your buddies! Does life get ANY BETTER? FYI...No one has ever rolled out the windows.



This is where Scotty took a shower every day, he proudly told me so. However, taking a shower doesn't mean changing your underwear. I guess you need a private place to do that and there weren't any. I don't understand the logic here...it's okay to shower in front of every one (kind of), but you can't change your undies? Help me out. (No one changed by the way, except Timothy who changed his underwear in a closet that didn't lock). And they all couldn't use the same closet. (?) Does anyone understand 11 year logic?



This is where they ate. Don't bother with the scrambled eggs, rumor on the street is that they are really BAD, like Don't even feed the animals with them bad. Spaghetti is okay, nuggets are excellent and the cinnamon rolls weren't as good as mine. (Way to suck up Scotty!)

Some other lessons learned at camp....
Fire ants taste like sour skittles, if you chop off the heads first. Good to know.
Banana Slugs on your nose aren't that bad, but they do kind of smell.
Who poops in the shower and leaves it? Well, if the boys EVER find out.....
Star gazing through clouds is hard.
Boys snore.
6th grade is way too young to like girls. It's better to be free for a while longer.
Barefoot hiking is ok unless you're Ryan C. and step on a nest of yellow jackets.
It's hard to live without the Beatles for four days.
The climbing wall was easy peasy, at least it was for Scotty the Squirrel.
There's no place like home and your own bed.

Last but not least...I had two successful untucked days at work, two not-so-good. Is there a program or a drug for this problem?

16 comments:

diane said...

I'm so sorry about your little Laffy Taffy.
Picture with the S-in-law can be a metaphor or warning for their new marriage.
Try the one side tuck. If you find yourself slipping. You could also imagine my ears which resemble Yoda and Pres. Kimball. The horror forces you to never tuck for your whole life.

Linsey said...

Sorry about your hampster. Are you going to get another one? I don't know about the conditions of the burger joint, but the burger itself freaks me out. I have been back to some college haunts in my post-college life, places I thought were REALLY cool - clearly the definition of cool is fluid. How do you mess up scrambled eggs?

Rochelleht said...

Did I just hear you say 'cruddy' in the same sentence as "BIG JUD'S"!? I hope we can still be friends. I love Big Jud's and everything about it. That's where we stop every year when we go to the cabin. OLD family tradition. I always have a mushroom burger and lots of hand-cut Idaho fries with lots of fry sauce. Mmmmm... I'm hungry.

And seriously, Dude! If you thought that was dirty and cruddy!?? You would have DIED at their last location. I'm also very disappointed you wasted your Big Jud's experience on tots. I'm just sayin'. You should have consulted me first, but next time, I'm sure you will be wiser. These things take time. Don't cry too much over the loss of the hand-cut fries. I'm sure Lauren and Skyler will invite you again soon.

P.S. Sorry about the hamster.

Heather said...

I loves me some big Judd's too. I had heard that mama big Judd (who is equally big) has some sort of cancer and is not doing so hot. Maybe she's the cleaning crew?

But I do love how you smell like the place for a good four hours after you left.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about loosing your pet, that is always hard! Sounds like you had quit the adventure!

life in red shoes said...

Tie your hands behind your back!

Lauren in GA said...

Ohhhh...sorry about little Laffy Taffy....you said such wonderful things about her. My children could learn from her example, too.

Lauren looks so happy. :)

Thank you for the public service announcement about the flavorings.

Oh, and sorry that Karlee had a rough road trip.





Fire ants taste like Sour Skittles? Well...at least they chopped the heads off, right?

Jen said...

Poor Laffy Taffy. He/she will be missed.

Believe it or not, when I went to school at RICKS, I never ate at Big Jud's! I have a cousin that owns the Big Jud's in Boise. Hopefully his joint isn't cruddy like the one in Rexburg. You know?Since he's family and all.

Celia Fae said...

I am going to science camp on Tuesday and I have such extreme anxiety I can't even bear to look at those pictures. The tent things are going to drive me over the edge. I heard there's rats. Kill me now. Is it too late to perform a little pre-camp arson? I

Jenibelle said...

Celia...please, please, please post a picture of you with a banana slug on your nose or downing a fire ant. I can't WAIT for that blog!!!

By the way...VOLUNTARILY camping? Wo.

And, how are you going to handle the underwear conundrum?

Tristan said...

How fun to spend some time with the newlyweds in Idaho! Love the Old Faithful pic!

tiki_lady said...

popped over from molly mormon. great post. looks like you have a fun family. congrats on being the mother in law!

Anonymous said...

Laffy Taffy brings back a sad but hilarious memory of when me and my kids took our pet RAT Norma to the vet to be euthenized. Norma had cancer and was not doing well. We didn't want to have her suffer any longer.
AS we said our good byes and crying our eyes out we walked to our car. A woman asked if we were "ok" And we told her that we had just had to euthenize our pet RAT. She made the most disgusting face kind of like "how could someone LOVE A RAT". Those rodents grow on you. Norma was SMART and knew each of us.

God Bless Laffy Taffy. She's waiting for you.

PS your see nothjing, hear nothing, say nothing post was FAB. I laughed hard.

Hazen5 said...

You have been busy Girl!!! I am so sorry for the passing of one of your children! R.I.P Taffy!!! My kids are going to cry when I tell them.

I love Big Jud's!!!!!

mamasuisse said...

What is with boys and their underwear?! When I used to do my boy's laundry, he brought me over a week's worth of clothes with not a single pair of underwear in it! Now he does his own laundry - I don't look and don't ask.

martyrudd said...

YES JENI...I AM GOING TO KILL YOU FOR POSTING THAT PIC OF ME!!!... But it was a very fun trip with many more to come! And I have never heard of Big Jud's, but the hamburger was beyond huge!! Marty