Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Forever, For Always, No Matter What...

Today is my Rachel's 25th birthday. It's been a very bittersweet day remembering the years that have passed since I first held my beloved first child. I had dreamed about her, waited oh so not patiently for her, prayed for her safe arrival. She came; at 3:31 am, we missed the ward Halloween party and joyfully so. I was sure there had never been a more beautiful baby born, ever in the world. My mom, the veteran of thousands of births in over 40 years of labor and delivery, assured me that I was right, THIS was the most spectacular child ever, and she was mine.

Rachel Daron, 20 1/2" long, 7lbs. 14 oz of dreams and wishes. Things didn't quite turn out the way I planned, at least for this life. But now, 25 years later, I can begin to appreciate the bigger picture that I didn't or couldn't understand then. What she has missed here is so small to what she will have THERE. Sure, we have missed proms, dates, sleepovers, talking to her and even fighting with her, graduations and an earthly wedding. But how much more wonderful it will all be there!



We stood her up in the play pen, 20 months old, she didn't walk til she was almost six.

As I spent hours looking at pictures the past few days, I was struck by the great love that has surrounded this beautiful daughter of God. She has been loved and cared for by the most wonderful people. Pictures of you Erin and Brandi with her touch me to my core. You love her in the most pure way, selflessly. And more than that, you shared your lives with me, knowing how much I missed sharing all these experiences with Rachel. The day will come when she will thank you and tell you that she loved you too.


Roxy, Margo, Vicki, Pam, Marty, there are not words, but you know how we feel. Not only did you love Rachel, you included her always. You taught your children to love her and to not be afraid of differences. You prayed for her, you took care of her, you took care of me, her sometimes very sad mom. She will thank you some day, (after she looks in your purse Roxy for candy!) can I ever thank you enough?


Rachel's Baptism Day


I found pictures of Rachel with ALL her Grandparents, each of them looks so happy to be with her. Pictures of her nose to nose with her Great Grandma Westman. Pictures of her learning to take steps with Grammy. Pictures of her crying laying on Grandma Groseclose's shoulder, being comforted. Pictures of Grandma Rydalch giving her her first bath, all reminded me that she is a part of an eternal family that are all waiting for that first word of recognition and the exclamations of love.


Rachel always looks at her hand, we don't know why, but it cracks us up.

Rachel is the common denominator in our lives, she is the glue that holds us together and the reminder of eternal blessings. How thankful I am to have her, Forever, For Always, No matter what.


Heaven's Special Child

A meeting was held quite far from earth.
"It's time again for another birth"
Said the angels of the Lord above
"This special child will need much love
Her progress may seem very slow
Accomplishments she may not show
And she'll require much extra care
From all the folks she meets down there.
She may not laugh or run or play
Her thoughts may seem quite far away
In many ways she won't adapt
And she'll be known as handicapped.
So let's be careful where she's sent
We want her life to be content.
Please Lord, find the parents who
will do this special job for you
They will not realize right away
The leading role they're asked to play.
But with the child from Above
Comes stronger faith and richer love
And soon they'll know the privilege given
In caring for this gift from heaven~
This precious child meek and mild
Is heaven's very special child."

We as a family know the gift we have been given, and we are thankful for our beautiful Rachel.
Happy Birthday sweet girl.

23 comments:

diane said...

What a beautiful tribute to your daughter. You are the perfect Mom for your perfect child.

Untypically Jia said...

Oh my goodness, that poem just has me in tears! Happy birthday to your little (or well, 25 is older than me so . . .) not so little girl.

Rochelleht said...

Well, what do you know? It's Derick's birthday today, too! It's a special day in the universe.

How well I know all those feelings, dear friend. The what if's disappear so quickly becoming the what will be's. And they are sweeter than anything else we can imagine. Could we be more blessed?!?!

Kim Walus said...

Thank you for your example of love and joy. We have been blessed to be a part of your families life. Thank you for sharing her with us and letting us be a part of the journey. We love you all and wish Rachel a Happy 25th Birthday. WoW!

Hillary said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. She (and You) are blessed to have each other! I can only imagine the reunion in Heaven (when the time is right, of course!)

Lauren in GA said...

Beautiful. So beautifully written. I cried as I read this Jeni. Thank you for sharing it with all of us.

I thought of my older sister when I read the poem. I am going to be astonished when I see her in the eternities and she is whole.

Annemarie said...

As I type through teary eyes I am so touched by your words and by your beautiful, beautiful girl.

This is a wonderful start to my day, to be reminded of what is truely important. Thank you!

Happy Birthday Sweet Rachel!!

Nancy said...

Happy Birthday sweet Rachel! She has touched all our lives.

Anonymous said...

Oh how beautiful! What wonderful people you all are! what a glorious time heaven will be!

Lisa-Marie said...

The perfect tribute for a perfect Child of God. Happy Birthday Rachel!

Thank you Jeni for a gentle and special reminder about the things in life that are most important.

Tristan said...

That was so beautiful! I agree with Diane, you are a perfect Mother for her!

Happy Birthday Rachel!

Erin said...

I feel so blessed to be able to know and love Rachel. She is so, so, dear to me. As are you. Happy Birthday Rachel!! I love you.

Jessica said...

What a sweet addition to my day! Thanks for that!

Happy Birthday Rachel!

the wrath of khandrea said...

thanks for writing this. you are fantastic!

Jake said...

Oh, Jeni! So sweet. Happy birthday to both of you.

Christie said...

What beautiful thoughts. She is a lucky girl to have you for a mom.

Linsey said...

Wow, Heavenly Father loves Rachel a lot! Happy Birthday Rachel and here's to your treasures in heaven Mom and Dad!

life in red shoes said...

truly blessed.

Nana said...

We have been so blessed to have Rach a part of our lives. She has taught us to love unconditionaly and without reservation. I will always remember Rachel's baptism day and the day she recieved her YW Medallion. She may have physical limitations, but there is no limit to her spirituality. Our lives have been enriched because of her.
We love you all....

Jen said...

Oh crap... I'm doing the ugly cry.

Thanks for the sweet reminder of just how blessed my life is, to have my two crazy boys on a day where I was ready to run for the hills.

Happy birthday sweet girl!

Ilene said...

I'm holding my sweet daugther a little bit closer after reading this.

You are such a lovely mother. Happy birthday to Rachel!

Hazen5 said...

We love you Rachel! Payton misses you so much. You are an angel to so many people!

mamasuisse said...

That was beautiful to read. Thank you for the reminder.