Tuesday, October 21, 2008

An offer you can't refuse



We have something for sale at our house, or rent, or for auction to the highest bidder or even free to a good home.








This is Jeff, our 14 year old. He is for sale, cheap.

Why?


Because in his Academic Literacy class his teacher
(please keep in mind that both my husband and I work at this school...) gave an assignment to write about a problem that concerns them about the world, their family, their life.


Jeff was very excited about this assignment and then "it struck a sad chord" (Jeff's words)
He then realized that this was his lucky day, he could tell the sad tale of his life and how unloved and unwanted and neglected he is. The hamster gets more attention than him after all.


One of the parameters of the assignment was to find five different causes of the problem from others who have dealt with that same issue, using the internet. Jeff was confused about what exactly to look up for his problem...


So he sadly went to his teacher, head hung low, fighting back the tears, (do you know sarcasm?)
and said to Mrs. Decker, "what would I look up if my problem is that I am the least favorite child and my little brother gets away with everything?"


Mrs. Decker looked at him bemused and shocked and said, "Why Jeff, I have never dealt with this problem, I was always the favorite." (feeding the fire in his soul...) " Well, you could look under favoritism in families or sibling rivalry."


He moped back to his desk; sad, dejected and alone. He stared at the laptop on his desk and slowly began to type. Then the words started to come easier to him and he typed feverishly, much like Ralphie writing the theme outlining why he needed a Red Ryder Beebee gun. This paper was going to be a masterpiece!! Jeff was the first one finished. He saved it to the computer, and laid his little blonde head down on the computer, wishing the tears would come. Surely his beloved Mrs. Decker would know his sad plight.


As his teacher told his Mom this sad tale, visions of years of vacations, nights of board games, bedroom redecorating, cell phones, TV's, I-pods, $1000's of $$ spent on Chicken Nuggets because he would eat nothing else and the loads and loads of toys and fun stuff that has been given to this sad boy over the years- flashed before my eyes. Mrs. Decker? She was cracking up as she told the story and remembered the sorely neglected young man in her class who always has a smile on his face and always has something funny to say. "Yep" she thought..."he's got a sad life." Not.

He may not be neglected, unloved or put upon,
But he certainly is entertaining.



Note: No 14 year olds were harmed in the writing of this blog, (except maybe his feelings) as we were all laughing hysterically as HE retold the story to us. Can you say sibling rivalry? We're putting him into Drama next year.

27 comments:

Annemarie said...

The set up and picture are PRICELESS!! I was laughing so hard at those two things that I had a hard time seeing through the tears to read the rest.

Poor, poor kid.

My heart just aches for him.

Lauralee said...

oh the poor child.. what a tough life!

that is too funny! what a kid!

Jen said...

I can relate to Jeff. I had to walk to school every day, in the snow, up hill, with cardboard in the soles of my shoes to prevent the bitter cold snow from damaging my precious feet. Sigh.

It's tough being the least favorite child. It's so not fair!

Tristan said...

He does seem to have a flair for the dramatics! Poor deprived child! ;)

Lauren said...

this isn't nice.

someone needs to stand up for jeff.

life in red shoes said...

Can he run a lawnmower, I'll take him!

Lauren in GA said...

That poor, poor child...such heartless parents. ;)

That is what we parents get...we teach them to walk and talk and they turn on us.

the wrath of khandrea said...

i'll take him. you send that boy to my house and i will make him the favorite child, as he deserves. he can become my favorite by washing all my dishes, doing all our laundry, checking little bums for cleanliness after pooping and independent wiping, washing my car, vaccuuming, dusting, reading bedtime stories, helping with homework, cooking supper, etc.
he can TOTALLY be my favorite.

Rochelleht said...

Laughing at Lauren's comment!

queenieweenie said...

I have a fourteen year old too! Maybe we could do a buy one, get one free deal!

Anonymous said...

I love it! Bring the story back out when he's getting married! Oh those poor negleted 14 year olds, what are we going to do?! How will we save the world!

Anonymous said...

This is Mrs. Decker and I want to apologize for forcing Jeffrey to look into his wretched life to see such sorrow. I should have had them write about something more benign like 'what I did for fall break!"
Let's see what he comes up with as his solution. Perhaps the famous, favorite Scotty (whom I've yet to meet) will be unseated when Jeffrey puts his plan into action and finally gets the love he deserves!
If that fails, I've only got 4 teenagers at home now so what the heck, I'll start the bidding at 5$
What a great laugh! Thanks for sharing.

Hazen5 said...

I'll Take Jeff!!! Send him to San Diego, Payton would die!

Nancy said...

Poor Jeffy! I know how he feels. I'm the middle child, and completely neglected as well. :) This was hilarious!

Christie said...

Wait, he has a laptop at school and he's 14? Did I miss something?

My kids would say he's got the BEST life. Send him here. We'll have him begging to come home in a week.

Jenibelle said...

We have a laptop lab that is in this classroom. OF COURSE we would not buy neglected Jeff a lap top!! Only Lauren has one, does that make her the favorite?

Jenibelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
calibosmom said...

I can refuse...I'm married to one and I gave birth to one.

GO Gray's said...

I'll buy you Jeffie for fiddy dollas!!!!

Margaret said...

I seriously am scared for my kids to grow up. Why did I ever teach them to talk...let alone write? I was so eager to help them and then things come out of their mouths that I didn't plan on. Reminds me of the time my son (when he was in 2nd grade) got a post-it on his back that said "kick me" and to one-up his friend...he wrote "kill me" and stuck it on his back. Talk about embarassing. They take that kind of thing seriously in schools these days. Yeah...it's scary having kids on many levels.

Lisa-Marie said...

I know how good he is with kids and he thinks mine are cute....I'll take him!!!

(Plus, then his mom would have to come visit even more and I could handle that too!)

Ilene said...

You and your husband should stop neglecting him so much and start spending some quality time with your son at lunch.

I bet he would love to bond with both of you over a school cafeteria lunch.

Jake said...

Ha ha! Your family is a crack up.

skyler said...

one time scotty punched me and another time rachel pinched me for no reason! In jeffs defense i think he is the only groseclose child who hasn't physically abused me! haha you might be able to make more money if you just rent him out.

diane said...

That story is hilarious.

Teenagers are so self absorbed. We could do a trade. I have a 16 year old daughter. Then he could be the only child and get all the attention...which stinks according to my teen.

Jen said...

HAHAHAH! This one had me laughing!

J'Ollie Primitives said...

Oh, please post his poor forlorn sad epic tale of being the least favorite!

I'd LOVE to see what he has to say! What a geat assignment!