Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Jeni's got talent...some, a little, or maybe not

Maybe I am mistaking what I think is a talent is just really a SKILL.
I hate the show 'America's Got Talent', it drives me nuts. Is being able to balance a platter of fruits and vegetables on your head while juggling and blowing Dixie on a harmonica Really a TALENT?

I read your blogs, I feel unworthy, what a remarkable bunch of women! I was going to talk about your various talents here, but as I started listing them, I was afraid I would forget someone. Let me just tell you, there are many of you out there who inspire me and amaze me with the things you can do!

Well, guess what? I have a talent too! Maybe it's just a skill but because I need to pat myself on the back more, today I will give myself TALENT status. I can sew. I love to sew. Sewing and creating beautiful things makes me happy


This is my 20 year old sewing machine. It doesn't do anything fancy, it goes forwards and backwards (when it's in the mood), it does a zig-zap stitch and button holes and that's it. But together this old machine and I have created masterpieces. I have sewed my children's clothing, Halloween costumes, Temple Pageant costumes, wedding and prom dresses, quilts, tons of quilts. We have been estranged of late, my little machine and I. Working full time and everything else in life has meant my little friend has sat lonely in the closet wondering why I was neglecting it so?

Yesterday I pulled my sewing machine out of the closet, dusted it off and proceeded to create. This is what made:








I saw stockings like this on TV and decided to create them for Lauren and Skyler. I don't know if they'll do well as stockings because they are kind of narrow. But they are well sewn, they could survive a nuclear holocaust. I think they turned out really cute! I am now going to figure out a tree skirt to kind of match. I am going to love sewing for the new generation of my family, but NO pressure Lo.


23 comments:

Tristan said...

You are FANTASTIC! I sew very little, but I would love to be able to sew like that. Maybe someday soon I will have to make the time to practice more. Those stocking are really cute! Lauren and Skylar are very lucky! Make sure you post pictures of the tree skirt when you have it done!

Bossy! said...

Wow. I don't even sew on scout badges. Impressive.

If you want access to Julie's norway blog send an email to bossysisters at gmail dot com. and we will forward your request!

Linsey said...

How amazing are you?!! I'm in the market for a new sewing machine, got any recommendations?

Jen said...

Those stockings are amazing! I too, am one with my beloved sewing machine. I bought my own $80 Singer when I was in highschool and just last year, my husband bought me a new Janome with fancy stitches, for my birthday. Lately, I have been a sewing nut! I hope to see more of your projects...even if they are from the past!

the wrath of khandrea said...

i agree with you. juggling LEGGS eggs is just lame. YOU have talent. i'm impressed girl. congrats on a fantastic creation. keep em coming.

calibosmom said...

NICE! I have no sewing skills whatsoever but I'm ok with that. If you ever need to practice making more, I'll take the irregulars. You definately have talent!

Jake said...

Sewing is one talent I covet. But I just have no patience. My mother-in-law sews beautifully and makes us all kinds of handstitched Christmas goodies, Halloween costumes and baby quilts. I TREASURE them. Your posterity will too! Good job, babe!

terahreu said...

Cute as ever. So well made. I look forward to seeing the skirt. It's good to have a deadline.

Christie said...

Please never say you have no talent. Those socks are AMAZING! It's like what you'd go buy in Pottery Barn. I think you should come move by me and teach me to sew. I'm no good in that.

P.S. I hate America's Got Talent, too. But only because of David Hasselhoff. HATE the Hoff.

Jen said...

So when do I need to get my order to you....6 stockings?? You could knock that out, right??? BTW, did you send Lauren's dress up to her?

Lisa-Marie said...

Talent? That's a big fat YESSSSSSSS!
Seriously, you whipped those out in a day?

Skyler and Lauren will love and treasure them, I am sure!

mamasuisse said...

Sewing is a skill. Sewing well is a talent. Sewing well and quickly (in just a day!?!) is a super-talent. They're darling.

Lauren said...

AWWW i love them mom!! They look so cute, i'm excited to start collecting christmas decorations!

diane said...

Fabulous! I love the fabrics.

I didn't get the sewing gene. My grandma was a seamstress, my mom made all 3 daughter's wedding dresses. Luckily my daughter has the gene.

Lauren in GA said...

Sewing is TOTALLY a talent! Look at those lovely stockings!!!!! You pat yourself on the back, girlie!!! Those are so great!

Anonymous said...

Boy lucky lady! Skill, talent and creative creations! You brighten my day!

Jessica said...

Cannot sew at all and the older I get, the more I realize it would be very useful.

Oh well.

You be good at that and I'll be good at nursing...

life in red shoes said...

Well look at you, all Suzy Homemakerish! Working really does put a damper on hobbies, don't you agree?

life in red shoes said...

I can't get your email address to go thru!

life in red shoes said...

Try this, bbateman@mstarmetro.net

Ilene said...

Adorable!

Oh, Lauren is going to love using your skills. Utilizing my mom's creative skills makes me happy.

As Lauren gets more into her new married life, that sewing machine is going to lose all traces of dust. Us daughters don't want our moms to hide their talents under a bushel.

Rochelleht said...

You rock. I love me a good sewing project. I've made Christmas stockings, too. It's funny how hard it is to actually get the top wide enough.

Margaret said...

How great is that? I wish I had that talent.