Saturday, March 8, 2008

Time...it's not on my side.


I have a rhetorical question; why is it that other people think that THEIR time is infinitely more important than MINE?

Over and over this week I have had experiences regarding time that truly infuriated me. I'll share a few.

Friday I was running a little late for Seminary but I had promised doughnuts to my darlings. I was walking to the check-out with my little box of doughnuts and a woman saw me and literally RAN to the checkstand to beat me. "Oh sorry," she apologized to me, "I'm in a huge hurry!"
Oh, by all means, cut in front of me, your 'in a hurry ' is MUCH more important than mine.

Thursday we were at the Dr. waiting for Byron's appointment. When we got there, there wasn't a receptionist at the desk, just someone filling in. She gave us a paper with the time we had arrived written at the top. 14 minutes later the receptionist came and signed us in. Then other patients started to arrive and one by one they were called in and we sat, and sat, and sat.
Finally after an HOUR Byron went up and asked what was going on. "Oh sorry!! I'll tell them in the back you were on time..." 20 minutes later we went to the Blood pressure station (by then I am sure I was near stroke level). We sat THERE for 20 more minutes. Then we were finally put in a room where we waited for 20 minutes more. Then the Dr. came in. Byron was shooting me dagger looks from across the room, "don't insult him...he holds my life in his hands". Now, I have CHRONIC problems with saying exactly what I am thinking. Byron knows this personality flaw and was terrified I was going to humiliate him. I was trying to put "I'm so pissed, I'm so pissed..." out of my brain so I wouldn't blurt it out. I was concentrating so hard by singing songs from the Sound of Music, I am surprised I didn't blurt out a rousing rendition of the "Lonely Goatherd"
Guess what the Dr. said? "oops I guess we screwed up today!" Ya think?

Today we were at Lowe's buying a new stove and cooktop (woot-woot!! I'm a happy camper!). First of all we stood there for 15 minutes until someone decided they wanted to make a sale to us. We were the only ones there with four salespeople and not ONE said anything to us. Finally we got served and as we were writing things up, a man walks up and wants help NOW:
"Okay, sir, I can help you in just a minute, I'm with a customer already."
"No, I'm not happy and I want help NOW."
"Sir, I'll be with you in a few minutes."
"No, I'm in a hurry, I'm not happy and I want help NOW."
Oh well then, by all means, YOU go first...we have nothing BUT time and obviously YOU sir, are much more important. Good freakin' grief.

Have you ever had some one pass you in the right hand lane only to then pull in right in front of you??? If you ever want to hear my husband say things he really shouldn't, drive with him when someone does this. He will go on a rampage like no other. "Oh, so you saved yourself 2 seconds...and your 2 seconds are more important than MY 2 seconds......." and on and on. This makes the normally very nice Byron a complete maniac, and scary.

My absolute favorite is the lady who literally put her cup in front of mine when I was pushing the button getting my daily Diet Pepsi! I was pushing the button for myself and SHE filled her cup. Now that's nerve, (I want to maintain a good rating or I would say something else.) "Oh thanks!" she giggled and flashed her pearly whites.
Sometimes I wish it was legal to carry a stun-gun.

Can anyone else relate?

10 comments:

Hazen5 said...

I can just picture you and Byron in the Doctor's office and him saying, "Jeni, don't do it!" Great Post!

shauna said...

You've been saving those up for a long time. Great blog vent.

I wish they had little stun pens with little darts. I carry pepper spray. Not that I would use it in real life, but sometimes I do in my imagination. It is nice to know that I could if I really wanted too. Take that line cutters!

Celia Fae said...

Jeni, I am also obsessed with time. I take it personally when someone makes me wait and I hate them for thinking that their time is more important than mine. It is difficult to get over when they finally arrive.

However, I am also a violater because I am always trying to do one last thing before I leave and then I am sometimes late.

It's a paradox. However, reading that post got my blood pressure because I Care So Much.

Tristan said...

People just suck sometimes! The world would be a beter place if we all weren't so selfish.

Funny stories though! I am not laughing at you, just laughing because we all can relate!

Paige said...

That Pepsi story is something else. I would have taken her DOWN. And embarrassed my children, of course.

Hollyween said...

I loved this post because I get annoyed at all the same things. You know what bugs me more than anything? Someone who works or even stays home and for some reason they just HAVE to say they're busy all the time and they don't have time for that and yada yada yada. My favorite is people who scoff when I tell them I blog. "Oh geez. I wish I had time for that" they say. And it really infuriates me because it's as if I'm some lowlife at my computer who does nothing else. I mean, C'MON!

Lauren in GA said...

I can't believe some of these stories!!!!

You are so right...I think a stun gun is in order for every scenario.

Jessica said...

1) completely hate doctors that think they don't have to be prompt like every other service prodvider in the world

2) and those dumb people were probably in their own little world and had no idea how rude they were being. I've probably done the same thing, in my hurry. thanks for the reminder!

Lisa-Marie said...

I'm with Holly. It INFURIATES me when people use their "busyness" as a signal that they are better than others. If you ask me they just can't prioritize and need to learn to say no. Grrrrrr. I'm also with Celia cause my blood pressure is escalating! oops!

Ilene said...

I pity the man who is connected or will connect with the Diet Pepsi woman.

Good for you for not tripping her or the donut woman. The doctor's mistake is beyond annoying. You should get a free visit or something out of it. Kind of like if your pizza isn't delivered within 30 minutes you get it free.