Monday, May 26, 2008

A prayer




Today is Memorial Day, how thankful I am to live in this free country where I can express my opinions freely, disagree with my leaders, worship as I like, and raise my children with the hopes that they can accomplish anything they truly want.

Thank you Dad R. for lying about your age of 16 and joining the Navy in WWII.
Thank you Grandpa D. for being one of the first Air Force Pilots in WWII.
Thank you Dad D. for your service in the Air Force also, you didn't see combat, but your services on Armed Forces radio are legendary. I don't know you well, but I looked you up.
Thank you brother, Mark for your years in the Navy and your recent tour to Iraq.

Thank you Mom and Dad for instilling in us a love of our country and more importantly, respect for America. I do cry at parades Mom, I love the Star Spangled Banner and it's message of hope. I hold my hand over my heart as a pledge of allegiance to this great land. I thank my Heavenly Father for the opportunities and quality of life we have here. I hope today, or any day, in the hustle and bustle of raising families and just living everyday life, that we take a moment and reflect upon those who have fought and are continuing to fight so that we can continue to have freedoms. I stand in awe of their courage, dedication and sacrifice.

"Let there be peace on earth
And let it begin with me.
Let there be peace on earth
The peace that was meant to be
With God as our Father,
Sisters all are we
Let me walk with my sister
In perfect Harmony

Let peace begin with me
Let this be the moment now
With every step I take
Let this be my solemn vow
To take each moment
And live each moment
In peace eternally
Let there be peace on earth
And let it begin with me.



12 comments:

Nancy said...

Thank you Jeni! I have such great respect for those who have sacrificed so much for our freedom. You have done a great job at celebrating them!

Linsey said...

This is a lovely tribute and so apropos.

Jake said...

Wonderful and timely.

Annemarie said...

This is beautiful, Jeni. I always get a little choked up when I look at a flag, and I love that. Thanks for the reminder and the tribute.

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

Thanks for remembering. You are a great American.

Tristan said...

That was awesome! I loved that poem! I am surprised I haven't heard it before.

Are we still going to do your blog? No rush...just wondering :)

Jen said...

What a great tribute to those who have fought for our freedoms!

This post reminded me of a trip our family went to Washington D.C. a few years ago. Arlington Cemetary was very humbling. I will always remember it with such fondness.

Thank you for the tribute.

Ilene said...

Happy Memorial Day!

diane said...

Did you see Gladys Knight singing this on PBS on Sunday night at a Memorial Day event in DC...it was amazing!

calibosmom said...

Great post! Happy Memorial Day!

Hazen5 said...

You still are one of the most patriotic people I know. I love that about you!!

Lauren in GA said...

Thank you for posting this. I need to be more mindful of the sacrifices made on my behalf.


Thank you, again.