Monday, June 30, 2008

A Monday Melange

Melange: (fr) a mixture of often incongruous elements


Element #1: My new digs at the school. With my new responsibilities at school I needed to move offices. Hated that. Big time. Big Mess. Big Headache. Done.



I know it's nothing to you, but it's "office sweet office" to me.
(Lisa Marie & Rachel...click it big and you will see some really cute kids on my bulletin board!)



I think I missed my calling, maybe I should have taught kindergarten.

This is the cool part, Lauralee from writingonthewall, soon to be Phraseworthy.com
made this vinyl lettering for my wall. It is 12' across and we love it!! Lauralee reads my blog and told me about her business. This is so cool!! She is also doing some things for Lauren's reception. I will post pictures of those soon! Go check out her stuff, I love it. Thanks Lauralee!!




Element #2: Before I started working at the high school, I catered. I loved the creativity of coming up with new things and meeting new people. It was a lot of fun, but I gave it up when I got hired by the high school. One of my most requested salads was a tomato salad. I am sure most everyone has their own version, but I thought I would share mine. It is Byron's family's favorite!



2-3 lbs of tomato, on the vine are the most flavorful
1 bunch of fresh Basil
1/2 large Red Onion
8 oz Monterey Jack Cheese
1/2 a bottle of Wish Bone Red Wine Vinegarette
2 tsp. sugar
freshly cracked pepper
Large croutons

Cut the tomatoes into eighths and then cut those wedges in half. You want them chunky.
Chop onions into chunks. Cube cheese. Cut Basil into thin slivers. Sprinkle with sugar (this helps cut the acidity of the tomatoes and dressing) Add a pinch of pepper. Shake dressing and pour over salad. Serve with croutons on the side to add to the salad.

Most people use mozzarella cheese, Monterey jack is a creamy, more flavorful cheese. Trust me, it's good!!!

Element #3: The question of what I am going to wear to the BIG event is still up in the air.
I did order the last black dress in the cocoa color and then both Diane N. and Lolo emailed me this dress:


What do you think? Is it too young? Too full? Remember, I'm squat. (it's kinda low, at least the girls will get some air.)


I bought this at Coldwater Creek to wear to the temple. We got a letter, no one but the bride is supposed to wear fancy. I think this is nice and simple.

Element #4: "My shrink says....Blog!"
"Why do people write confessional blogs? It's a creative outlet. It's a form to vent. It's an exercise in exhibitionism. To mental-health experts, though, it's more than that: a blog is medicine."

A short article in Newsweek touts the benefits of blogging according to a new study. It states that blogging is better than writing in a diary, it fills the need for sympathy, it is high intimacy with low vulnerability. In other words, it's good for us. It fills a need for approval and sympathy without the commitment.

So allow me to be personal here...see Byron? All these hours on the computer ARE worthwhile. Would you rather me blog an hour a day or would you rather pay a shrink for 7 hours a week?

I thought so.

17 comments:

Annemarie said...

Blog on sister!

A caterer??? That is so cool...my dream!!

Rochelleht said...

Ooo! I LOVE that new brown dress. Order it and what's the worst that can happen? You have two dresses. I can think of more awful trials! :-)

Lauralee said...

love the dress for the temple! LOVE IT!

you were a caterer? that is awesome! I will have to try that recipe.. yum!

your lettering looks great! thanks for the shout out!

Caroline C. Bingham said...

temple dress = cute cute cute

tomato salad = me drooling

telling me about vinyl lettering sites = dangerous

the wrath of khandrea said...

i do not like the first dress. i do like the second dress.

blogging as therapy. hmm... yes, this will go over well when we do the budgeting next month. "babe! i can cut out the therapist if you agree to give me more guilt-free blogging time. CHA-CHING!"

you are so good. so, so good.

Jake said...

Excellent melange!

So...are you catering the wedding? Menu please!

Jeanelle said...

The dress for the temple is beautiful. great find! And your husband needs to know that if you didn't have the blog outlet, you'd be keeping HIM up for hours and hours with all of the stuff you unload here. So really, you blog FOR him because it's all about him, right???

Ilene said...

Hey, check out the latest Ensign article from Elder Ballard. He says blogging is great. Okay, he says it is a great missionary tool but with all the LDS-centered life stuff we all write about, obviously we are fulfilling our mission. Just tell Byron it is all about missionary work.

Love the Coldwater Creek number. The only worries I have about the first dress is would you ever wear it again? I mean, the black/cocoa number you could still pull off at church but perhaps this more formal number can give you an excuse to take a cruise somewhere?

Lisa-Marie said...

I love the new dress. I think it is cute. Ilene has a point but who cares. Your Lolo is only getting married once and so wear something you may never wear again! Who cares! I have a friend who was very recently MOB and is built just like you and wore a dress very similar and ROCKED it! We'd all love a fashion show.

P.S. Thx for loving my kids! They really are cute aren't they?!?!?

Tristan said...

I totally love both dresses! I think you could pull off the first one! Just put a mod bod t-shirt under it. They have them in cocoa color. Either one will look great!

Nancy said...

Tristan took my comment. :) I was thinking the same thing about wearing a camisole or something under the 1st dress. I love both dresses.

Paige said...

I like the temple dress. I also like the fancy brown one but see how TALL that girl is? Those don't work well on me. I'm totally shopping for you tonight.

I read that article in Newseek and totally agree about the therapy aspect.

diane said...

Just put a little brown tank under it if it's too plunging. So cute!

Margaret said...

Yeah for free therapy!

I like the first dress!

Miss Candy Anderson said...

Love the first dress... and by the way, I love your blog.

Lauren in GA said...

I agree...blogging is cheaper than a therapist!!

I love your desk...the vinyl lettering on the wall looks so great!

That Coldwater Creek Dress is fantastic! I want one!

Thanks for the recipe!

Marie said...

I love your Coldwater Creek dress. It's gorgeous! Blogging is therapeutic, I agree!