Sunday, February 17, 2008

Farewell Friend

I am no beauty. This is no plea for "oh yes you are!" Trust me, I am a realist. BUT, I do have a great sense of humor; I have my share of talents, but the one thing about myself that I really like (besides my really great thin ankles) is my hair. I spend a lot on my hair. A lot. I am not sure what color it is however. My natural color and I parted company my senior year of high school when my sister AND cousin were both in beauty college.

Today something really awful happened. It was 12:25 (Sacrament at 1:00) and I was drying my hair. I dry one side at a time. Not the whole head equally, one side at a time. When all of a sudden, with NO warning....a spark, smoke and a dead hairdryer. 12:25, half a head dried and no hairdryer. I used to have 4 hairdryers, I am down to one, no, I am down to none. One went camping to blow up the air mattress and never made it home. I think it is in my brother's camping stuff. My son took one when he moved out, my daughter took one to college and I had one. Now I have none. You can't even imagine how traumatized I was, the only thing about me that I like (except the aforementioned ankles...) is my hair and now it was going to look like crap.

But the real drama is what to do? Run to Longs with a half wet head? (I teach seminary...I know the 10 commandments inside and out, not an option.)
Borrow one from my psycho neighbors? Uh no, this would require talking to them and maybe having to reciprocate in some way. Not an option.
Borrow from a friend in the ward that lives near? That would require explaining to the Bishop's wife why I waited so long to get ready,(ie. slept in til 10:00 am and then watched re-runs of Project Runway instead of getting ready.) Not an option.
Stand outside in the sun with my head upside down, brushing and swaying in the wind. Natural hair dryer. Option.

Tomorrow is a Target Run...(just love the $100 store~) to buy two hairdryers. One for me, one for my year's supply. I am writing Salt Lake to suggest they add hair dryers to the suggested list for storage. Bad hair makes for bad self esteem which leads to bad parenting. Hair dryers are a necessity.

If you saw me today, thank you for not commenting on my hair.
I did not see Celia, prayer answered.

PS. On a serious note...wild child came over tonight and asked if I knew where his scriptures were. I found them in a box I had packed for him. A teeny tiny baby step, but I will take even the littlest of miracles. Prayer answered.

7 comments:

Celia Fae said...

Dang. I had new batteries in my camera and everything.

Hazen5 said...

I was waiting for a picture of your hair! Come on, I want to see it. Yay for Mitch!!! How was Idaho?!!!!

Brigitta said...

Love the blow dryer drama. Not sure what I would have done, probably stuck my hair in a pony tail like I do most days because I'm too lazy.

Hollyween said...

This post is the best. Because I can totally relate. I have had major hair dryer dilema in my day. One day, right before I was supposed to leave out of town, my hair dryer did the same thing yours did. I have to have a NICE hair dryer... a hot tools one you can only get at the mall (I've tried EVERYTHING else, but that's the only brand that works) and I went to the mall a half an hour before they opened and was shaking the gate and pleading for the girl to open her store early so I could buy a hair dryer and go on my trip. True, true story. And that's not the first time it's happened either.

Christie said...

My hair dryer once shot sparks out before dying, catching my hair on fire. Lucky for me, it was before I knew what product was, so my hair was not as flammable as it is today.

Wish we could see the pics. I think you should recreate for our entertainment.

Lauren said...

oh gosh. i know you and that stupid hair dryer. can't even leave it behind for a weekend of camping

heidiram said...

So sorry to hear about your hair dryer. My hubby got me a hair dryer for Valentine's Day. Yeah, what!?! Totally nice gesture, but what the heck? He realized my hair dryer's on and off switch is broken. It just always stays on unless you unplug it. I've had the same hair dryer for 8+ years. I have time to blow dry my hair about every other Sunday . . . so the fact that my hair dryer isn't in 100% working condition doesn't really phase me.