Friday, February 22, 2008

Roughing it


Today was a red letter day for Scotty. This evening at approximately 5:30 my little eaglette left his nest in pursuit of his first flight into the wonderful world of Boy Scout Camping. After tonight he will officially be a "Tenderfoot". (Which might I say is right up there with Bishop Bears eat Beats; sorry...inside joke!)

I am now going to take you on a pictorial of the Pursuit of Tenderfoot, Brentwood Style.
(remember all wackiness starts here)

1. The ominous sky.


2. The campground....Dave & Maria's backyard. A giant circus tent. This is known as a cave in Brentwood. Set up in case of inclement weather . See picture #1.














#3. This is the forest where the tents are set up. These boys could teach the girls' camp ladies a
thing or two about rain coverings!
















4. Cocoa Motion Machines. Not one, not two, but three of them. And the electricity to run them. This is roughing it in the worst kind of way, they forgot the marshmallows. Life is tough, hope they manage.



5. Here are really tough Dads, Scott and Sterling, bundled up against the elements. The weather gets really rough here in California. They look exhausted don't they? Oh wait, the workers from the event company set up the circus tent. Guess hauling all that gear from the driveway to the backyard wore them out. Poor babies.


6. Here are our newest Boy Scouts. Notice they are in their shirts, enjoying the balmy 55 degree weather. Refer to #5, particularly the guy in the beanie and REI -30 degree jacket. That cave sure looks cozy! Wow! Matching tables and chairs!! Now THAT's classy camping. Wonder if they are making centerpieces out of pinecones and needles? Forgot, no trees in this forest.



7. Here is the fire pit, oops! CAMPFIRE, where all the foil packet dinners are going to be cooked. Just in case Maria has the microwave ready. 15 feet away.
Being in touch with their feminine sides, Weston and Randy both got the memo on exactly what to wear. Matchy-matchy!



8. Tomorrow morning I will gas up the car, put treats and drinks in the car in preparation for the 10 minute drive out to the campsite. There, I will pick up my warm, clean little tenderfoot. No pitch for me to stress about, no bugbites, no racoon stories, and very little effort on his part. Ladies, you might want to move here, Scouting is a breeze, and convenient too.



P.S. In all fairness...there were frogs making frog noises. Ahh, the great outdoors.

7 comments:

Lisa-Marie said...

NO WAY! Our scouts do the "real thing" EVERY month of the year here. Just one more reason I'm happy I'm not a boy in Idaho!

I like the Brentwood style!

Christie said...

We're packing our bags right now.

Celia Fae said...

Second ward boys are way more manly than third ward boys. Tenderfoot, indeed.

mamasuisse said...

Hi Jenibelle. I'm jealous. Our overly dedicated scout master wants to take my little baby snow camping! Talk about a mother nightmare.

By the way, Sam got his blue feet thanks to Photoshop. They're a healthy, warm pink in real life.

Jessica said...

Hey! Thanks for visiting my blog...I've seen your comments elsewhere, so it's fun to see you on mine!

I loved the blog about your daughter growing up! I totally appreciate your extra few years of experience and hope that I can hang on like you said you did, and end up with such a neat young woman...like you did! (and that guy with her...so cute!)

I'll be back for more of that I-parented-teenagers wisdom!

Ilene said...

Okay, is cocoamotion a Brentwood thing?

Spokane is so behind the times.

Anonymous said...

Maybe “Summer Camp” could be at your place. You have a swimmin’ hole, outdoor BBQ fire pit, and an outdoor sound system with lots of sounds from nature. There is plenty of hiking on landscaped walkways. I happen to know there is a country store nearby (inside of third car garage) in case they forgot something. The proprietor there will even let you run up a tab you never have to pay back. Nice folks they are. I think the BSA ought to be looking into creating a new merit badge for “City Camping”