Sunday, February 10, 2008

I Bette Not!

There is something that has happened in my life that really perplexes me. Something that has happened 7 or 8 times is not a coincidence or an oddity, there must be something to it. Problem is, I just don't see it!

The first time was on my Honeymoon. Byron and I were on the ferry to Victoria and an elderly gentleman stopped me and told me I looked
JUST LIKE Bette Midler. Bette Midler??? She has a big nose and an even bigger mouth! Bette Midler? aaaggghhh! (That same trip I was told I looked like Princess Diana, I liked that comparison better, until I realized she has a rather prominent probiscis also, which has led to 25 years of being very self conscious of my nose....) I will admit that I do know the words to almost every song she has ever recorded and can go note for note on "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy..." My sisters and I sobbed through "Beaches"....I love Bette, but I don't think I love people thinking I look like her...

Another time when we lived in LA. I took Rachel to UCLA 3 days a week for physical therapy, one of the therapist said I should look into being Bette's double. Huh? That would be because she is really known for her action movies. What exactly would I be doubling for?

The most bizarre one was at my Dad's funer
al. That's right, my Dad's funeral. As I was walking up the aisle following the casket, my former Stake President reached out and grabbed my arm.
"Sister Stone and I loved your tribute to your father, and we just can't get over how much you remind us of Bette Midler!" Serious. Said all in the same sentence. Really.

The Principals' secretary calls me Bette. She knows it bugs the h--- out of me, but she says that every time she sees me (which is 9 or 10 times a day!!!) she just "can't get over how much you look like Bette Midler!" We have worked together for
four years, it's time for her to get over it.

Just last week I went to the Dr. Only the second time in the last ten years, (I wonder if Bette is as healthy as I am? ) and I was giving blood in the lab, chatting away with the tech and she says to me...."You look so much like Bette Midler, and I can tell that you are sassy like her too!" I freakin' couldn't believe it!! Is there something to this? So, I am posting pictures of the two of us, you tell me....

A little disclaimer, obviously I have not had the luxury of retouched photos. When people take pictures of me they always forget the no-double chin, no wrinkles, no bags under the eyes lens. Be kind, I am sensitive.


Okay, we both had bad 80's perms.



We both have big 'ol smiles and our eyes squint to almost closed when we smile.



We both love sunglasses.



Eerily similar hairstyles....



We both have really bad taste........

I dunno...........

10 comments:

Natalie Whipple said...

There's a similarity. I never thought of it until you pointed it out, but I can see what people are saying.

Kellie said...

Dead ringer!! You could have made millions!

Erin said...

I would have never thought that until you put your two pictures together. I can see the similarity, but you are much better looking!

Travelin'Oma said...

The Divine Miss J!
I think you'd have tons in common with my sister who blogs at jolynm.blogspot.com/
She's had similar experiences to yours.

Christie said...

I have always thought Bette was rather pretty. I adore her singing voice and even got to see her in concert. Be flattered, friend.

But I don't think I'd stop you at your father's funeral to tell you that. TACKY!

Jenibelle said...

Marty...you are my hero. I will now go by that name...THE Divine Miss J!! It's got a nice ring to it!

Jake said...

I LOVE Bette Midler. You look great and so does she! Consider it a huge compliment. Fun post...

Celia Fae said...

Very clever. Frankly, I don't see the resemblance, except maybe in the perm photo. But it was blurry, so...

You've really outdone yourself here. The photos are even close together.

Moving on, I'm glad you remember the pone incident, because it is chuckleworthy. And as for the missionary, you've got the right one. Sounds like I need to visit III ward once in a while. Ours are yawnariffic.

Brigitta said...

Oh, I do see some similarity, but I've always though Bette was adorable, funny and talented. So take it as a complement.

Marie said...

i am so impressed with all the twin photos! Funny thing is, I NEVER thought about noses until I met my husband's family...they are obsessed with them! All I can think is, "Doesn't everyone have one?"