Monday, February 25, 2008

To paint or not to paint?



I hate to wax Shakespearean over paint...but it is a huge decision. This is my living room. It is green, a khaki-ish green, maybe shades of olivey. It is a huge room with 21 foot ceilings. The room has a plant shelf on the one long side and gorgeous moldings all over. I painted it about 8-9 years ago and I have loved it. In fact, when our downstairs flooded (bad washer line, bad flood, good new flooring for the entire downstairs!!! woohoo!!!!) I went and bought paint and ended up painting it exactly the same. BUT, I think it is time to update. So what do you think? What color should I go? It is painted 13 feet up, has a chair rail and the top is just builder white. I am not getting new couches anytime soon, they are comfy and in great shape. I am getting new pillows. The pine hutch isn't going anywhere either, it was the first piece of furniture we bought when Byron graduated from Dental school. It has little Rachel teeth marks in it as she grew and learned to stand and pull her self up. (she didn't walk until she was 6! This and a bookshelf are VERY sentimental...) I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE red. My family room and the rest of the house is a camel color with red stuff and black accents.

Okay, all you mega talented young women....I want your opinions! Be honest, I can take it. The pool table isn't going anywhere either. I inherited from my Dad, it's really a puzzle table, buffet table, laundry table etc..... Post pictures of your houses so I can get good ideas. Let's create!!

14 comments:

Paige said...

I agree that the "one dark room" is kind of out of date, but I love the white molding behind the piano. If you still love it, keep it.

Perhaps paint it to match the rest of the house, or just a darker shade of caramel? Or the same caramel, but do stripes of flat/gloss vertically of the same color. A nightmare to tape off, beautiful to look at!

Jeff said...

Mom, please dont repaint, I love the greeeen!

Marie said...

You don't want any advice from me. The majority of my house is a blaring yellow that screams at you...I'm just to lazy/busy to repaint the whole thing. I can live with it for now. Good luck!

Lisa-Marie said...

I LOVE that Jeff has an opinion about the paint!

Have you seen Gab's living room? It is the most gorgeous color yellow. Check it out. Our how about dancingqueen's (inawesomewonder.blogspot.com/) new RED living room. It is beautiful as well.

Can't wait to see what you decide!

Lisa-Marie said...

Okay, can I comment twice? I'm thinking the red might not be a good idea in there. Would it clash with the pool table?

But the yellow. Oh the beautiful yellow!

D-dawg said...

I'm not so good at this sort of thing but I say go with a lighter color. It will brighten it up... good luck!

Lauren said...

NOOOOOO do NOT CHANGE THE GREEN!
anything else just wont be the same, and we will all hate. keep it as is

Jeff said...

See Lauren and I agree Mom!!!!!

Hazen5 said...

Go with the Browns! Anything you do will be fabulous! Sorry Jeffey and LoLo!

Heather said...

Pumpkin!

Hollyween said...

I'm thinking Gab's gorgeous yellow. I may copy her and do MY living room yellow too.

Lisa-Marie said...

You need to tell me when you are coming to Rexburg. I have this sinking feeling that it will be when I am gone to Boise. I leave on the 7th and don't come home until the 17th.

PLEASE NO!

Kim Walus said...

You can always go to my blog and have another look at the yellow I put in my living room. I've loved it and my ceilings are about 13 feet. It's called Cupola Yellow and it's a Sherwin Williams Paint. We also used Summer White for all of the trim and moldings. It warmed up our space nicely. I have always liked your green. Trust your instincts you can always repaint it green.

Ilene said...

Yellow is always a favorite with me. Yellow, green, and red are always a classic color combination... However, I would go and find some fun funky pillows to give you the inspiration for your color pallette. Etsy.com has great homemade stuff with fun, fun fabrics. My sister-in-law has a store called Meringue Designs (I have her linked from my page) and she has some cute stuff or can make cute custom order stuff. I don't mean to put a plug for her but it is where I turn for inspiration (of course you are probably one of those talented people who can actually sew so this point may be mute).