Thursday, April 17, 2008

Punch Drunk


Two Items of business tonight.

Today I was driving Jeff to his play that he is in, Guys and Dolls. On the way to the play we were just chit-chatting and he mentioned that the 8th grade dance was coming up. I though this was his subtle way of reminding me to pay for the ticket.
"You know Mom, people have asked people to go to the dance with them."
"Oh."
"Some people actually asked clear back in second quarter!"
"Well, that's dumb, they may not still like the person."
"mmmm hmmmmm>'
"Uh, Jeff, has anyone asked you?"
"Well, yes, but I said no".
"Oh?" Thinking he was going to say it was because he can't date until he was 16.
"Yeah, she wanted me to go matching with her."
"Oh?"
"Yeah, she wanted me to wear a hot pink tie and Converses with hot pink shoelaces! Can you believe that? She wanted me to match hot pink!"
"That's terrible!"
"I know...." silence for a minute or so, and then...
"There might be someone that I wouldn't mind if they asked me to the dance."
"Oh?" (I ask such intelligent, insightful questions and make really relevant answers. I'm a terrific mom)
"Yep."
"So, what exactly does asking someone to the 8th grade dance entail? Do we pick them up?"
"NO!" said loudly with a crack in the changing voice.
"Do we buy them dinner?"
"Are you kidding?!?"
"Do you get them flowers?"
"Oh, HECK no!!!"
"So, back to the original question...what exactly does asking someone to the 8th grade dance entail?"
"Standing around with them."
Oh....why didn't I know that? Sounds simple, non-committal and cheap and I am pretty sure that doesn't technically break the no dating rule does it?

SECOND ITEM: WEDDING DECISION OF THE WEEK!!



What should we drink at the Wedding of the Year?
(I feel okay saying this because so far Lolo is the only wedding in Brentwood this summer among the LDS crowd. I'm sure there might possibly be another, but it would still be just so-so compared to hers because she has US (you and I) making all the important decisions.....)

I cannot do Frappe' or anything with Ice cream. I just can't. It is going to be hotter than Hades in Brentwood in August. We need something refreshing and cool and easy. Left up to me, we would all have Diet Pepsi, so maybe this decision shouldn't be made by me.

So, what did you have at your weddings? Ideas and recipes please. And I am serious here, I need help with this. There are two possibilities at a Brentwood wedding, Frappe or the Apple Juice/Sprite combo. I am hoping for something terrific, original, yummy and refreshing. Help?

25 comments:

Nancy said...

It's been 5 years since my wedding, and to tell you the truth I don't remember getting anywhere near the food or drinks. I've never tried the apple juice/sprite mixture, but it sounds oddly good.

Jake said...

I cannot remember for the life of me what we served.

At parties lately I enjoy two frozen cans of limeade mixed with a bag of frozen raspberries and Sprite or gingerale. Pretty and yummy.

Margaret said...

I am so out of touch that I don't know what a frappe even is. I think a gingerale with a type of juice mix would be nice. Maybe get some juices and try it out. Do a test taste line-up for some family members.

Celia Fae said...

I ask Max once a week if he likes girls yet. He always denies.

A diet Pepsi fountain. Or I know, diet Pepsi with dry ice. Spooky.

Jenibelle said...

I personally think a soda fountain would be fun, I forget this wedding isn't about me.

Jessica said...

I have a cherry lime drink that I love. It's on Allrecipes.com. Here's the site: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cherry-Limeade-I/Detail.aspx

(I do one lime concentrate for one 2-liter soda...it's REALLY tart the other way).

It's really pretty and yummy.

Karla said...

Jeni!! It's Karla!! I'm not so sure I have any ideas for a drink for the wedding, but I was thinking about you and wanted to say hi!! I'm coming home soon! I'd love to come hang out with you at least once!! :)

Annemarie said...

We had cran raspberry with Sprite...surprisingly kind of elegant. Another is:
1 can frozen oj
1 can frozen lemonade
12 cups water (10 cups if adding ice)
3/4 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
Run that through a champagne fountain.

This is an old recipe that my family pulls out every once in a while & it pretty dang good.

Good luck!

Annemarie said...

Either that or I'm ALL for the diet pepsi thing... :)

Linsey said...

I'm a big fan of the Shirley Temple - but that is hard in large quantities. Something else I love is flavored water - really easy and really refreshing - just float strawberry slices or raspberries or mint leaves or lemon/lime/orange slices or cucumber or any combination of the above in ice cold water. The flavor is subtle but lovely and won't conflict with your menu and it looks beautiful.

By the way, made the super noodles and we LOVED them! So easy and so delicious, that is my idea of perfect food.

Erin said...

We had an "open bar" as it were. It worked out.

I've also seen Izze soda's served in their glass bottles that looked darling.

I forgot to email you, but here's my other blog link:
http://msolivia.blogspot.com
http://phil-half-ironman.blogspot.com

Love ya! Ciao.

P.S. I think matching shoelaces is a great idea!

Lisa-Marie said...

You are right. DO NOT do the whole frappe thing (if that means the sprite with sherbet in it or the like.) That is SO MORMON. And yes, I like being Mormon, but please. No.

Anyway, I too was going to say something with frozen berries floating in it. That is always so pretty.

Plain water with sliced oranges and apples is also so yummy and gorgeous. I know it sounds weird. But it is so pretty. Maybe that would be better for a shower. Water might not be fancy enough!!!

Ann said...

My 8th grader has been talking about the grad dance and how people are asking each other to it, but it is not a date. I was quite confused and he acts like I'm an idiot when I ask for clarification. Thanks to you, I now understand. Apparently, according to him, going with someone doesn't even restrict you to dancing with only them.

Anonymous said...

Which wedding? ha! My first wedding we had the banana-pineapple-7-up ...frosty Mormon punch! My mom and the ladies in our ward did the food--it was "the thing" back then. Wedding # 2 we got married at "Spaghetti Mama's" ~ It was a nice Italian Restraunt that was fully catered and we rented the entire upstairs banquet room. (It's in Sandy, Utah) Anyhow, they furnished the best, absolutely BEST Redish, strawberry lemonade with fresh strawberies, and crushed ice. I believe it had a curley lemon on top with a mint. And, very, very refreshing! But, my vote goes for Diet Coke---Or Diet Pepsi (I'm bi-cola)

Jeff said...

:)

Hazen5 said...

First off, tell jeffey no kissing (hehehe)!! And for the wedding drink, Annemarie's idea sounds yummy! I also love the Soda bar idea, go to Bev n more! I am sure Byron would love that.

Paige said...

I'm thinking shave ice. This wedding is going to be fab.

Karla said...

Yeah!! This wedding stuff is REALLY COOL!! I was so shocked when i heard about it tho!!! But SO COOL!!!
Yes, i'm still having the surgery! it's on may 15th! so it's coming up soon! I'm nervous! but i think it will be good in the end!! :) I miss you too!!! Seriously!! what's your email address? so I can email you more stuff there and wont have to post it all on here!!! hehe!!

write back!!
-kar

PS. if you wanted it, my email is duckymanners@gmail.com

Tristan said...

I had a totally yummy slush at my wedding. It was a huge hit! Really tasty and refreshing. I was marriend in mid-June on Utah. It was like 95 degrees that day! So if you want the recipe I can get it from my mom. eMail me tkc615@gmail.com ;) I LOVE planning weddings! Can I officially be on the planning commitee?? ;)

Kim Walus said...

My all time favorite yummy punch uses just 1 can of Dole Pineapple Juice mixed with one 2-Liter bottle of Cherry 7-UP served over ice. You could also float pineaple slices and frozen raspberries in the punch bowl.

Anonymous said...

I have another idea! Jones soda will also do personalized labels. Fun, fun!
MO

Lauren in GA said...

I am so glad that Jeff sent you a smiley face!

I love the, "standing around with them." I remember those days...Jeff sounds like a great kiddo.


My friend served, "Mormon Champagne" Two parts Gingerale one part Sprite. It was easy....

I like what the other commenters suggested!

Hollyween said...

K. I have a great recipe, but it's almost 11 at night and I'm too lazy to get out my book. So when you e-mail me, I'll e-mail it back to you. Sound good?

Ilene said...

Sounds like you need to throw a juice tasting party.

Can't remember what was at my wedding. The best wedding I went to was my brother's whose wife's family was non-LDS (she is though) and they insisted on having an open bar. Virgin margaritas, roy rogers, and shirley temples were enjoyed to no end.

Amy Jorgensen said...

My little sis pushed my parents to the brink of insanity with her drink of choice -- henry weinhards root beer and cream soda in longneck brown bottles -- chilled in very classy coolers. My dad was in the stake presidency at the time and was worried about avoiding the "appearance of evil", but sis stuck to her guns and everyone loved it! We have pix of the bish and stk pres with the bottles in hand. Classic.