Thursday, April 10, 2008

Wedding Planning by Committee

If you are reading this...CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You are now an official member of the wedding planning committee! The nice thing is that you incure no cost and since 98% of you live elsewhere, I will not require or make mandatory your help doing the actual decorating or cutting watermelon in the kitchen.

I was going to bed early tonight. Yeah right. I started to watch Survivor at 8:00 pm/ Here it is, 11:13 and I am still at the computer. I thought I would just look at a few wedding cakes as I have an appointment Tuesday with the baker dude. Several thousand cakes later, here I still sit. I present to you some cakes for your opinions. I would do a poll, but I may have mentioned that i am a hopeless reject on the computer and this is about as far as my skills go.

The cakes.....
1. I'm thinking this one might be over the top. Colors are right, but it just looks destined to be on a 'Wedding Disasters' bloooper show.

2. Did someone really? This is a 'hand out the Claritin' at the door cake if I ever saw one. Holy Salt Lake City....now that's a cake!


3. I really want a grooms' cake. I was looking for an armadillo since he's from Texas and all, but I couldn't find one. Do you think a trout cake would do?4. I could like this one, we'd have to do without the Hydrangea's on steriods however. And change their color to pink. This is a maybe.


5. If Lauren was a 15 year old bride, she would love this. Really. That girl loves FUN and this cake is definitely fun!6. Again, a promising premise, simple cake but the decorator needed a 'less is more' lesson on the flowers. Change the colors, scale back the flowers....hmmmm............
7. This one is a definitely possibility. Lauren has never seen a polka dot she didn't love. With a brown bow on top? Yep, this could make the cut. Right colors, fun, out of the ordinary...might be THE cake. And then we'll be the topic of gossip in Brentwood for years... "did you SEE the cake Jeni got for Lauren's wedding, she always has to do something different...." We live in a gossipy town.
8. And my winner....this one. Simple, elegant, change the tasteful flowers to pink. I think it's really cute. Now I have to convince the bride. Fat Chance.
Your opinions Please!!!!!

21 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

I love the last one, too! I really like the polka dots, also.

Marzipan makes such beautiful cakes but, even though the presentation is fabulous...the taste? not so much...

I love your comment about needing allergy medicine for some of those! Funny but, TRUE!

I went back and looked again...I really love the look of marzipan...why can't it taste as great as it looks?

I pick the last one or the polka dots as far as presentation ;D

Linsey said...

I like the last one the best - it is elegant and understated which is the vibe I was going for with my wedding.

For me though, the most important thing was flavor - I am not carrying a few extra pounds for nothing - so fondant was totally out! We had delicious butter cream frosting and I was very pleased.

Ilene said...

I had fondant on my cake but you just peeled that away and I had the most delectable chocolate cake with chocolate ganache filling.

Since you are in the state where the wedding is happening, does that mean you get to do all of the cake taste testing? Lucky girl.

By the way I love the cake you chose and the one with hydrangeas. I love hydrangeas...

Ilene said...

Oh, this is just like the Today show does a wedding. Can't wait for us to pick out the dress and honeymoon locale as well.

Your daughter trusts us right?

Linsey said...

Incidentally, I was just visiting the bride-to-be's blog...what are "super noodles?"

Jenibelle said...

Super noodles: A really yummy pasta that we make, her very favorite. Send me an email and I'll send you the recipe!

Lisa-Marie said...

I want the supernoodles recipe too.

I like #4 and I also like #7. It seems so fun and spunky, just like Lauren. #4 is simply elegant to me. And yes, you could tone down the floral a bit. I think #4 could be done without the fondant.

Okay, keep putting us to work. This is fun!!!!

heidiram said...

I vote for Number 7.

Lauren in GA said...

Maybe it is called fondant not marzipan...is the polka dot cake made out of marzipan or fondant?

Paige said...

Wait, why does the bride get an opinion? She can pick the cake when her daughter gets married! It's the way of the world.

I love your gossipy town. I'm practically a resident by proxy.

You are into hydrangeas. They are pretty, please make sure they are in season before you (she) picks them.

Your allergy comment to me is now everyone's allergy bible. Do a post, please.

The Jeffs Family said...

#7 looks like Lauren! And it is her colors. My mom got off easy--I didn't care what anything looked like. I just wanted to get married (have sex!) I am trying to get her to go wedding dress shopping with you and Rach. Sounds fun!

Melissa-Mc said...

On the morning of our wedding, our wedding cake was being stored in the church. Someone had turned on the heat in August. The cake melted and fell to the ground. So the wedding day was crazy, but marriage has been...well, cake.

The cakes are all beautiful. Good luck with the wedding plans.

Brigitta said...

I love love love number 4 and 8. I tend to believe that simple elegance never goes out of style.

Bridget said...

The last one would have been my vote too! Love the simple elegant ones. I agree with you on that pink and brown one. Looks appropriate for a 15 yr old bride! I bet those polygamy wives in the compound don't get fancy cakes when they're married off to some old dude at age 15.

Someone threw up on you?! That's bad. So sorry.

Annemarie said...

The polka dot & the last one are definitely the best. And super noodles????? I want that recipe, too! BTW, thanks for your comment, I LOVE your blog!! :)

Jeff said...

NUMBER 7!

Hazen5 said...

I vote for #7, It has Lauren written all over it!

Hollyween said...

I want the recipe for "super noodles" too unless it's 'super' hard. hollye@comcast.net

On to the cakes...
I love love love the polka dot one. And if you're daughter loves polka dots, I'd say DO IT! Has she chosen her colors yet? Pink and brown? I also love hydrangeas. Gorgeous!!

I can't wait to make more wedding decisions. This is so fun!!!

I got a butter cream cake frosting cake with glomelias all over. And the cake was so so yummy. Fondant is gorgeous, but it's gross. But who eats the wedding cake?

Well... er... I did. That was the only thing I ate almost that entire day and it tasted so good!

Caroline C. Bingham said...

I like #7. But they're pretty much all the same. Just different variations, right?

And if you want a grooms cake, and she likes pink (I'm assuming) Why don't you have a chocolate cake for him, and a pink cake for her?

Anyways, about the tutorial over at Gabi's? I'm a fount of useless information. :)

calibosmom said...

I love the last one but with a little more color. She could do the cute box/stripe cake for her first baby shower. I LOVE party planning so use me!!!

Nancy said...

I love the last one! The floral one is a bit much, but it really reminds me of lovely Utah. As a wedding photographer, I have seen (and documented) more than my fair share of over the top cakes.