Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Tuesday Torture



I cannot blog anymore on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, and I am really bummed. Well, at least for the next 2 months. It's the Prophets time in Seminary, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Nehemiah, all the fascinating prophets. ICK. And I teach on the last three days of the week.

I love teaching seminary, this is year six. The kids are awesome, I love learning about the scriptures, I love starting my day with them. I don't like teaching these books. For adults it is fascinating to pick apart, for the kids...well, I might as well be singing Madame Butterfly in the original Japanese, that's how much they understand, and for that matter could care less if they understand. (I wish there was a good sword fight, beheading, immorality...something to spice it up.) But winged horses, mountains, rumors of war, it's no good for them. They want real wars, gory wars.

So I will read a bit, but I just don't have the time or creativity to be witty. That really bums me out. By the way, did you know that there are more verses of Isaiah quoted in the other scriptures than the entire book of Alma? If you put all the times Isaiah is quoted in the Book of Mormon into a book of its' own, it would be the third longest book? I guess it's important, I don't have as strong of a testimony of Isaiah as I do of blogging. Gotta work on that.

6 comments:

Jake said...

I always say I want to be the seminary teacher when my kids are that age...but the OT scares me. A lot of symbolism. Good luck!

Lauren in GA said...

Well, you will be blessed for your sacrifice...I know that curbing blogging time is indeed, a sacrifice.


Excellent comparison you drew to teaching Isaiah, Jeremiah and Nehemiah to being as understandable to teens as singing Madame Butterfly in the original Japanese. See...you are a great teacher, I can tell :)

I also had no idea about Isaiah is quoted so many times in other scriptures that it is longer than the entire Book of Alma! Whoa....and that all of the Isaiah quotes in the Book of Mormon would create the 3rd longest book. Sheesh.

Maybe you can get that book, "Isaiah for Dummies" I am hoping I didn't just fantasize that that book exists...I think I have actually seen it in a Deseret book flyer...

Hang in there! Even though you can't blog as much I will still come back and check regularly ;)

I rarely post regularly because I am the worst multi-tasker to walk the face of the earth.

Tristan said...

I knew Isiah was quoted a lot in the BOM but I didn't know it was enough to make a whole book!

I am sure you will do your best to help the students understand! I have a feeling you are a great teacher!

Linsey said...

Thank you for the comment on my blog, because it has lead me to yours and I have had a thoroughly enjoyable time reading about you and your event-filled life. I will come back often!

Good luck with the Old Testament, that was a good year in Seminary for me due entirely to a dedicated and inspiring/inspired teacher.

Heather said...

but don't you LAAAHHH-ove the new Old Testament DVD with all the little activities and artwork and stuff?

Have I got a great idea for Jeremiah for you!!!

Ilene said...

Do you wonder if the only book that got around those olden days was Isaiah because it is quoted so much?

Sure it could be really important, OR perhaps a prophet's son misplaced Moses or Jeremiah's books for a few hundred years and so they only had Isaiah to go off of.

You can see I am an excellent scriptorian and learned a lot during my Isaiah chapters during seminary.