Wednesday, April 16, 2008

When I had no brains....



This might surprise you... but I have done some pretty stupid things in my life.
An adventure in a 1970 black El Camino comes in at #5 on my "Five dumbest things I have ever done" list.

At BYU in the early 1980's, I had no brains. It's a fact, ask anyone who knew me.

One Friday in July of 1981 my roommates Kathy, Kim and I were bored. School was out for a holiday weekend, so like all good co-eds, we decided on a ROAD TRIP!! We decided to load up Kathy's El Camino and drive to Cali. Sounds fun huh?

So we loaded a mattress in the back of the El Camino, squished it in really well, nice and tight. Went to the 7-11 behind the Pineview Apartments where we lived and stocked up on snacks and drinks. I even grabbed a good book and remembered my sunglasses. Called Mom and Dad and warned them that three girls were coming home for the weekend, they were thrilled.

Kathy drove and Kim and I LAID OUT in the back of the El Camino ALL THE WAY HOME TO CALIFORNIA, all 11 hours, no seatbelts, no protective sun screen, skimpy bathing suits.

I really enjoyed my three day sunstroke, second degree burns hospital stay.

(Gabi and I were on the same wave length today...)

14 comments:

Tristan said...

That is a great story!! I look back at some stupid things I did and wonder how on earth nothing bad happend. Did you really get second degree burns?

Jenibelle said...

Yep. I have the scars to prove it!

Jenibelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annemarie said...

Oh, I went on many a "road trip" to Cali when I was a co-ed at BYU. We would do the same trip to the store (Hearts) & then drive ALL NIGHT being as stupid as ever. Ahh the memories!

Ilene said...

I'm sorry for your pain but thanks for the story.

Your parents must have been so happy to see you.

Nancy said...

Reminds me of some really stupid things I did while at BYU... nothing compared to what my friends did when they were at Berkeley, but still pretty dumb.

P.S. If you still need a photographer, I can travel! :)

Lauren in GA said...

Owwwwwwww!

It was a great idea, in theory,..I mean...it was really creative multi-tasking...tan while you travel.

ohhhh, second degree burns and a hospital stay...ohhhhhhhh....


Thank you for your comment on my blog. :)Virginia Tech is in Blacksburg...which is in southwest Virginia...right outside of Roanoke.

Christie said...

Ugh, that just hurts thinking about it. I remember once going with my college friends to the top of a water tower in February and laying out in 30 degree weather. We froze, and we got sunburned. It was so stupid. The things we wish we knew then, huh?

Margaret said...

Jenibelle...Which David on AI do you like? It's ok if it's not the same one as I like...we can still be cyber friends.

calibosmom said...

I would have liked hangin' out with you! FUN FUN! Maybe not so smart but definately fun!

Ardy said...

Wow Jeni...You made me go back to somethings that we did that were absolutely nuts!!! If my kids ever new...they'd never let me live it down....

Celia Fae said...

That story is classic. I wish you had pictures to prove it. I think I might dig out some of my sunburn photos just so I can commiserate.

We're all going to die of skin cancer.

Jenibelle said...

Celia...I have pictures, but the burns were on my legs and they are really gross. I can post if you REALLY want me to.....

Margaret said...

Is it the way David Archuleta licks his lips that gets you? I love how David A is so humble though...he's not as full of himself like some of the other contestants.